155 Posts

Terri
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  5:55:23 PM  Show Profile
Hello All,
I am new here and so delighted.
I have a lifelong dream of living sustainably on my own land.
The tricky part is, I am somewhat disabled. I have had small gardens where I lived all my life, and absolutely loved it. Now though, as I am older, the disability is making it much harder to garden very much.
My dear hubby knows of my farm dreaming. He knows it is really important to me, but he is concerned that I will not be able to do anything, and that work will just pile up.
Probably. But should that stop my dream from coming true? I dream of living sustainably, of canning, (which I could still do), of planting heirloom seeds...having space around me.
I have some ideas as to how I could still have a farm, a small one.

Are there any of you out there that have been able to have your farm dream even though you may have physical challenges?

I appreciate your help.

Every day is a new opportunity for joy!

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  9:21:27 PM  Show Profile
There is a company that makes farming equipment for commercial scale and small scale farmers with disabilities. That might be somewhere to look for help. They have people who can help with farm planning and so forth as well. I can't recall the name of the company. I seen them at our state fair last year.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  08:53:52 AM  Show Profile
I am sure your dream of farming is possible. It may just have to be scaled back to what you are realistically able to do. Your husband I am sure would help you with the physical things you cannot do. Canning is a big part of sustainable living. Even if you can't farm on a large scale you could get the produce from local farms and do your own canning and preserving. Having space around you is certainly doable. You don't need a large place. Your husband is right in the sense don't get in over your head. That would be very depressing to you and a lot of extra work for him. Go with what you can truly handle and look for ways to more self sustained that don't tax your physical health. Just my opinion. But, I don't think anyone is really happy if they are overwhelmed. Good luck to you. I think you will find ways to enjoy and live your dreams within your capabilities.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

artfulsister
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Terri
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  2:41:28 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so much Natesgirl, I never even thought about farm equiptment for people with physical challenges! That is a great idea. I have started looking online, I haven't seen any sites yet, but I am sure they are out there.

Thank you also MJ. Your encouragement too is so welcome. I have been living the Farmgirl life for many, many years, I just haven't had the farm : ) I totally agree with you that feeling overwhelmed never feels good to anyone. I take your advice seriously. As I have looked through some of the postings I am getting a little more clear about what it is I am really wanting.

My dream farm has a feeling of serenity and peace. I have grown organically for many years, bought organic for over 30 years, cooked from scratch for over 30 years, canned, sewed, helped other women through challenges, homeschooled my children...all these things I have done in the city. I think what I am missing is the space, the dirt and the wide open sky.

Thank you so much for your advice!

Go to Top of Page

simplefancies
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Tami Lynn
Longview WA
USA
117 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  09:02:17 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by artfulsister

My dream farm has a feeling of serenity and peace. I have grown organically for many years, bought organic for over 30 years, cooked from scratch for over 30 years, canned, sewed, helped other women through challenges, homeschooled my children...all these things I have done in the city. I think what I am missing is the space, the dirt and the wide open sky.

Aftfulsister,
You summed my heart so beautifully. While I haven't been at it for 30 years, I am "at it" and have been for 7 years. I too am missing the space, dirt and the wide open sky. I'm "missing" the ability to put up fences, create shelter and have sheep. I'm "missing" the ability to add to my flock. I'm "missing" the ability to add whatever to our land we decide on rather than checking with city ordinances.

I pray you are able to live out your dream.

www.whisperingoakacre.blogspot.com
1 Tim. 6:8 But if we have food and shelter, we will be satisfied with that.
Go to Top of Page

RueAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

58 Posts

Tracy
Brook Park OH
USA
58 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  09:06:54 AM  Show Profile
Hello Terri! Your post really struck a chord with me. I too am disabled, and my husband and I hope to have a farm someday soon to raise our children, animals, and organic food on, though like you I'm limited in the physical work I can do. We had a small farm where we lived before, but had to leave it behind which I still regret.

Though I'm not sure what resources are in your area, back in Arizona the community food bank came out to folks homes to help them start and maintain their gardens. I imagine there are resources that could be of use where you are.

Being disabled of course comes with some physical limitations, but I think you can, and should still dream and plan for your farm. Obviously you know what you are capable of, but I see absolutely no reason why you couldn't get help from friends and the community to help your farm dream come true. Best of luck!

Rue Ann
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  12:41:01 PM  Show Profile
Hi Terri! My feelings exactly. Being self reliant is my goal. My situation is different from yours. MY DH died last July and I am wondering if I can keep everything up. I still plan to garden and can. Gave my chickens to my grandson so I wouldn't have to go out and fight the ice this winter. We sold our son the pasture and I just have 2 acres. Most of that is gardens. Vegetables, herbs, berries, fruit trees and several flower beds. The flower beds will be the first to go if I can't get everything done. My disability is plain ol old age.

We'll be here if we can help in any way. Sometimes comming in here to the forum helps. Good luck to you.

Belle
Go to Top of Page

montanafarmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Vickie Harrell
Bigfork Montana
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2011 :  06:32:21 AM  Show Profile
Hello Ladies,

I live in Northwest Montana. My dream is to be self sustainable,but it is cold here most of the time. I know I can grow in green houses and want to and will...but is that true farming?...I believe in the old ways of doing things. In fact I have done away with the microwave in our house and am going back to the old ways of doing things in the kitchen. Everything from scratch and organic . I've stopped buying just any old seeds and started buying Heirloom seeds. My question to you ladies is: Is this just crazy...I mean can going back to the old ways...the way my Grandmother did things...is that just a crazy notion? or is it the way it should be?

Farmgirl Blessings
Go to Top of Page

artfulsister
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Terri
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2011 :  7:48:25 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so much ladies! Each one of your replies really touches my heart. I see there are a number of us out here who have farming and doing things in more basic ways in our bones. One way or another we find a way to live our dream. I thank each of you for your advice and good wishes.
Getting help from the community food bank sounds like a fab idea. I was also wondering about offering to share my garden space with someone who does not have their own and may want to work together. Or maybe offer my farm to a school that teaches gardening?

Simplefancies, I totally know what you mean about having to ask about what you can and can't do on your own property. I too want that freedom from the neighborhood association.

RueAnn, I am sorry to hear of your physical challenges too. I wish you and your husband the best with finding your new farm.

Belle, I am so sorry to hear of your husbands passing. I am sure you have been going through a tough time just with that let alone the challenges of growing older. It is wonderful that your pasture went to your son. I hope you get to keep your flower garden. When I was younger and more mobile, I would have loved to come and take care of your flower garden in exchange for fresh flowers! Maybe there is someone in your community who would love that too?

Montana Farm Girl, wow, up in north east Montana! It must be really cold there now, and beautiful too. Farmers have been using cold frames and green houses for centuries in areas where they needed to extend the growing season. I had a garden in the "great white north" of Canada for a while, and we used them too. It is farming. If you are sticking your hands in dirt and planting seeds, you are farming : ) I am with you on the basics, I love heirloom seeds and I like the idea of preserving seeds from many varieties of the past. It is not crazy to want to go back to the simpler ways. It might not be for everyone, but if it is for you...then go for it!

Thank you again for all your wonderful input.

Go to Top of Page

montanafarmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Vickie Harrell
Bigfork Montana
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  05:58:54 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Artfulsister for your words of wisdom....it is very much appreciated! it's not easy going back to the old ways but it gives on a since of accomplishment !

Farmgirl Blessings
Farmgirl # 2554
Vickie
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Farm dreaming Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page