fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  10:22:50 AM  Show Profile
My goal this year is to be thrifty in my life. As I sit here in my sewing room and look at all the threads and fabric I have it came to me that includes sewing.

My thrifty goal for 2011 is to be frugal in my fabric too. How about you?
I support my local quilt shop, but I also need to cut expenses. What I propose is giving each other encouragement and trading of needed items and fabric post pictures of WIP's (works in progress) and finished items for an Atta way to go Farmgirl. Work on finishing those projects sitting half done. Start working on gifts, create gift wrapping from fabric in the form of bags and pillow cases. If any of my farm sisters are missing a needed fabric to finish that project, instead of buying post that need here and see if we can lend each other a helping hand.

Farmgirl #1599
Working from home, working the land
www.lightningcreekinc.com

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  10:30:51 AM  Show Profile
this is the project I'm working on right now. I have Winter finished, now I'm working on Spring

Farmgirl #1599
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  12:29:26 PM  Show Profile
I like to buy clothing and other fabric items at yard sales (in the summer, not now!!) that is made of fabric that I like, often you can obtain large pieces of fabric this way--think gathered skirts, curtains, etc. This afternoon I zipped up a quick skirt for my daughter using a large woman's denim skirt from a yard sale (25 cents) and some scraps I had. Pretty CHEAP, I mean thrifty :) and cute, and quick! There is a picture of it on my blog. I used the already-hemmed end, so I didn't have to hem it either!

http://troutwife.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  1:23:31 PM  Show Profile
Wow Sheila. What a great idea, I had never thought about buying larger sizes to make something smaller, I have two little granddaughters who live next door. The only time I've purchased like that is collecting fabrics for my crazy quilt. The one I started 6 years ago and only have 4 blocks done on. It is on my list for this year to work on, even if I only spend one day a month on it. Curtains could work great for a quilt back.

Farmgirl #1599
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  1:35:27 PM  Show Profile
I just went to your blog. I love the skirt you made

Farmgirl #1599
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  1:40:38 PM  Show Profile

http://troutwife.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  7:38:43 PM  Show Profile
Pamela - I'm trying to be fabric frugal too. I have fabric and yarn and works-in-progress and I've resolved to use up what I have before I buy anything new. My only exception is if I'm making a present for someone, but I'm really trying to use what I already have for that too. I look around at the amount of stuff/stash/etc. that I have and I feel like I've been on a spending binge, enough already!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  8:03:14 PM  Show Profile
Amy - I know what you mean, and there is always such beautiful fabric coming out all the time, it is so hard. But I already have so many fabrics that I've collected I really need to be used I really liked the idea that was posted on another tread about making fabric bags for wrapping of gifts. They can be used a laundry bags, shopping bags, anything and it uses up the fabric and it's like two gifts in one

Farmgirl #1599
Go to Top of Page

CindyLous
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Cindy
Keizer OR
USA
81 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  9:15:29 PM  Show Profile
Here's to you...Atta Girl!
I finally had to admit I had projects started that I really didn't like, no longer wanted or whatever...I let them go to a better home at the thrift store. Some actually started out coming from there. It made me feel free to let go. I now have things I really want to do. I am more careful with my purchases, when I look at something I try and visualize what is can be or only get what I really can use.
Ok here's another Atta Girl, just for fun!
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  10:44:03 PM  Show Profile
Oh I agree with everything said here!!! I am trying to use up and finish UFO too.So ATTA girl to all that are and I like the idea to post things that we want to swap and stuff like that!!! cool Thread!!!

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  1:56:11 PM  Show Profile
Cindy - I had one project I took to the thrift store too and it is very liberating - I had felt like I had it hanging over my head:(
I'm trying to do the same thing with my yarn - I buy certain yarn for a project, then end up with leftovers. I have a ton of one kind of yarn in all different colors, and when looking through my knitting books found a pattern that calls for small amounts of that particular yarn for making baby booties - so excited, there are three babies due I know of this year, so I can use that up on making lovely presents!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  2:51:13 PM  Show Profile
WaHOoo!! I'm in!! LOL! Although I sew for a living, I do have a ton of UFO's that I have successfully finished up, given to someone else etc. This year I am using lots of fabric whenever possible from my stash, avoiding my favorite fabric places for now and will trade, barter or swap with someone first for what I need before buying new( for my personal needsnot for my customer's orders)

I just pulled out all these small 2 - 3 inch scraps I have been saving and have decided to do a "Honeycomb Quilt". Using the template from MaryJane, I have already got a small baggie full of "Prepped" pieces and love the relaxation of the hand stitching. The pieces are very small and it will take a ton of them to make a quilt with. . . and I am up for this challenge for sure!!

Joanna #566

JojoNH
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://www.Eastwooddesigns.com "For all your Promotional Needs"
www.JoannasHomeStudio.com "Keeping traditions alive a stitch at a time"
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  3:40:32 PM  Show Profile
if you sew for a living maybe you are the one to swap with for different kinds of fabric... ooops!! I am suppose to be getting rid of fabric...right!!! I forgot there for a minute!!!! heheheheheeh

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  4:26:18 PM  Show Profile
Joanna --you said the key word "Relaxing". For you hand piecing is relaxing. That is the goal, get it done without the stress, we don't want to put any pressure on our already busy lives.
Today I spent a nice relaxing 2 hours doing more of the paper piecing project I had in my first post. A little every day and things start to happen. Tonight I'm working on sewing the binding on two quilts I have finished. For the last month this is all that has been needed to get them done and off the list. YEA!

Farmgirl #1599
Go to Top of Page

2quilter
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Patricia
Greenwood IN
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  5:19:30 PM  Show Profile
Yep, I'm in the same boat....only using what I have already....my house is overrun with my treasures!! I haven't had the energy to tackle the issue...just not enough space (recently downsized to a smaller house, but kept all my 'stuff'...you're right...a little every day...and it will get better......

When life hands you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

bbteacher
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Bonnie
BALTIMORE Maryland
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  5:07:59 PM  Show Profile
Ladies,

You need to check out www.newdressaday.com to see how this very talented young woman has created the most fantastic clothing from thrift store, yard sale, tag sale finds. Very inspiring and for 2011, she is expanding her blog to include posts and pics from others nationwide. You can see all her past creations, share tips, pics, etc, and just get jazzed.

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  8:15:04 PM  Show Profile
yep, I too like to buy old garments at the thrift to re-purpose into other projects.....and not to mention I will buy a garment primarily for the buttons.....I have even bought mens large long sleeved shirts to make aprons out of.....and lets not forget 100% wool coats for all you wool craft artists!
"Sew" fun and very relaxing....

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  9:49:56 PM  Show Profile
I usually buy wool sweaters to felt but I never thought of mens shirts for aprons. neat idea.... oh yea I am suppose to be cutting back.. but that is a good idea!!! I think I should try just one at least!!! hehehe

beverley baggett
Go to Top of Page

longbeachfox
True Blue Farmgirl

322 Posts

Mary
Long Beach WA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  3:51:38 PM  Show Profile
I have enjoyed the barter site at MJF and have two sucessful trades so far...very fun and a great way to get rid of things you don't need. To someone else, they are a treasure.

Farmgirl # 2532

With God...Nothing Is Impossible!

http://foxontherunarts.blogspot.com

www.etsy.com/shop/longbeachfox

Go to Top of Page

Sallie Dee
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Sallie Dee
Imlay City Michigan
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  06:19:25 AM  Show Profile
Bonnie~
Just checked out the www.newdressaday.com blog! How inspiring! I shop resale, thrift and yard sales regularly and pass up clothing like her "befores" all the time. I taught myself to sew a few years ago so I guess it is time to rethink with new vision! Thanks for sharing!

Sallie Dee
Farm Girl #441

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  1:24:47 PM  Show Profile
oh & let's lot forget all the sachets and yoyo's that we can make from those sweet old re-purposed garments and scraps....
Even a man's plaid or striped shirt makes for a great "Manly Sachet" filled with cedar shavings or lavender,,,to keep their Manly clothes (& sweaters)closet smlling fresh.....

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

vmfein
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Valerie
Dale City VA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  4:42:15 PM  Show Profile
I have tons and fabric, I mean big tubs full. I have only made a few projects mostly from kits I purchased. I have wanted to start on a new project but have just limited myself to one at a time. Which is so hard! As I have went back to college no new fabric for me, so I will be using what I have (it is so hard though as a new fabric store opened up not far away). So I have decided to use the fabric I already have. I do have a wide variety of fabric from civil war to 1930's to country/americana, childrens, so I plan on making a few scrap items such as miniature quilts, coasters, quilts, table runners, and perhaps some clothing. Most of the things I make will be given to friends and family. Although I plan on also working on some quilts for the guild to donate to charities. The charities are for local hospitals and shelters for women or teenagers. The guild I recently joined also has items member no longer want so it is free others if they want. A got a very nice vintage primitive golf panel which I plan on making into a pillow for my Dad. He is a major fan of golf.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  01:56:37 AM  Show Profile
One of the things I get is sheets at thrift shops & yard sales...I am right now making a part of cotton pants witha full size sheet that looks like batik in browns & creams. Since its 100% cotton I know it will be great for the warmer months & it cost me maybe a dollar for it...I also love old pillow cases with stitchery on them...I can cut them apart & dye them if I want & make cute clothes for my grand daug. I also take clothes that are worn or faded that I have & cut them up & make quilts, jackets, bags ect from them...if they are really bad I cut them into long strips & braid them into floor rugs.

The Old Batz Farm
Go to Top of Page

craftystranger
True Blue Farmgirl

525 Posts

Barbara
Franklin NC
USA
525 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  12:40:34 PM  Show Profile
I am also trying to use the fabric that I have. I have allowed myself to purchase solids to go with what I own if I can not find a pleasing match from the sale table. I am currently finishing three baby quilts. Two are going to twins boy and girl. The other is for a girl. I have put the unused fabric from the front on the back. This helps me then I do not have to purchase backing. When I'm done I will post pictures. The group of women that I sew with we do tend to swap our fabric. But I agree that they (marketing) have great new fabric out there. I have a friend who was purchasing fabric like crazy before her husband retired.....well now she is looking at all that fabric and is bored with it..... when she sees the new "pretties" out there. But she is going to use what she has or at least swap it out with someone. Keep up the good work everyone.....thread has even gotten more expensive have you noticed? Barbara

Don't forget to laugh!
Go to Top of Page

idcityrose
True Blue Farmgirl

202 Posts

Rose
Idaho City Idaho
USA
202 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2011 :  3:23:58 PM  Show Profile
I just took a break from a two week makeover of my sewing room. I couldn't begin to have all my fabric in the room so I keep going through things and sorting them.
I worked estate sales for almost 8 years and when it came to clothing I was told to throw the stuff with moth holes or stains out. I threw them out alright, right to my house, where my mom and I cut off buttons and saved some of the vintage fabric. I am the proud owner of thousands of buttons and I finally sorted them by color, or if they were still on cards, or glass or mother of pearl or metal, you get the idea. I just last week sorted all my beading stuff and that was a chore but I am now set up to make some button jewelry.
Today I have been sorting fabrics into bins and into a cupboard and just trying to make everything more streamlined.
I do have more than some fabric stores, oh, our local (well its 100 miles away round trip) Desert thrift store sells fabric for 50 cents a yard and patterns for 25 cents. Our local (same mileage) Youth Ranch warehouse sells stuff by the pound and they have tons of patterns. At 30 cents a pound I get lots of them, but I always look to see if they have been used or have the instructions before I throw them into my cart. Patterns, that is the next hurdle for me! I think I was born thrifty!

Some people look for happiness, others create it.
http://www.idcityrose.etsy.com

We are never alone in the forest of Sisters! We "Mountain Farmgirls" are outstanding in our field!
Go to Top of Page

Bensgrandma
True Blue Farmgirl

227 Posts

Alexis
White Oak PA
USA
227 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2011 :  3:15:39 PM  Show Profile
I love this topic. I haven't bought anything new for my sewing room since November.My friends tell me that Joanns is filing bankrupcy because I haven't been there.

I thought about getting a job there for the holidays but there is just too much tempting items in that store for me.

There was a woman here selling an entire store full of every kind of sewing item you could want. She wanted to sell it all at one time. It almost killed me to pass it up. I couldn't figure out where I would put it or how I would get it home (and then what I would do with allof it. But, let me tell you it was tempting.

I am working on all UFOs and selling off all my patterns that I won't use again.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsandStitches
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic 2011 frugality in fabric Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page