Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 We finally bought a pressure cooker!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic We finally bought a pressure cooker! Next Topic  

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  08:32:05 AM  Show Profile
K, I'm from the old school and am half afraid of these things. But, I know they've improved them greatly since they first came out.

Anyhoot, will get it Monday. I can't wait to see what all this thing does. And to have grub on the table so soon for most things is just awesome!

http://onceinnabluemoon.blogspot.com/

"Never trust a fart." Jack Nicholson in The Bucket List

CasieD
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Casie
Edgar WI
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  08:51:05 AM  Show Profile
Congrats!! I got one for Christmas. Only thing I have made so far is chicken stock, but it only took 15 minutes!!
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  09:18:01 AM  Show Profile
I made NY Steak soup in mine the other night for dinner. So yummy and the meat was super tender. COmes in handy when I forget to take things out of the freezer or am rushed for time.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  09:29:52 AM  Show Profile
I am on the fence about buying one. I don't have much space, but it would come in real handy for canning season!

Farmgirl #1947
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  10:21:01 AM  Show Profile
quote:
it would come in real handy for canning season!

Yes, I see now after scanning the www that canning is something else I can do with the thing. Am going to have to plan our garden accordingly so I can utilize this thing to the max!

Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  10:27:41 AM  Show Profile
If you got a pressure "cooker" you cannot use it for canning unfortunately. There's several yahoo lists for recipes and information on pressure cookers. They are wonderful. My first digital/electric one died about 2 years ago and I'd been making due with a small stovetop but the gasket was getting bad so my man bought me a digital/electric one for my birthday. It is wonderful. I think the first thing we made with it was a shrimp aspargus risotto. You can't beat them for cooking beans in either, saves hours of cooking time.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  12:17:05 PM  Show Profile
Yay! Nothing like beans in a pressure cooker. And roast for dumplings or noodles! Think I'll drag mine out tonight. You've inspired me. :-)

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com

The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Emily
Chambersburg PA
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  6:13:56 PM  Show Profile
My parents got one for me last year for Christmas, unfortunatly the year was not a good one and most of my stuff in my garden got the best of me and I didn't use it at all. Hopefully this year will be different. I think I am going to go to a friend of mine's and get a lesson on it... I am also scared a bit of it.

--
See my custom costumes, download free patterns, and hear some spook EVPs from Gettysburg, PA on my site, www.alterationsbyemily.com
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2901 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2901 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  6:16:42 PM  Show Profile
Tammy is right. A pressure canner can be used as a cooker, but not all cookers can be ised as canners. Just be careful
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  7:36:27 PM  Show Profile
Ooooh, yeah - I was just reading another post on here about using them for canning and how some were having problems with the jars breaking. Oh well, no big. I've got a relatively big farm kitchen so I'll just do the canning the old fashioned way.

But I can't wait to do a pot roast in mine. In all of my 48 years, I've only had ONE roast come out so tender that it nearly fell apart........and THAT was for my ex husband's parents many, many moons ago. Anyway, I hear it can make even the toughest of meats very tender so I'm all for trying it out.

Also, I've been watching video's on youtube about them. Very informative - I'm feeling more comfortable with the idea of using it.

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic We finally bought a pressure cooker! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page