Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Hand stitched quilt top
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Hand stitched quilt top Next Topic  

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  06:57:27 AM  Show Profile
I so get in over my head sometimes. While in SD I found a quilting frame on sale. I was very excited and hopeful. Putting the thing together was easy and then I tried to put the quilt on. THAT was not so easy. I should have taken that as a sign, but no I barreled forward. It seemed tight as I started stitching, but by the time I got more than half way, I knew there was a problem. I finished and pulled it off, oh yea. Big problem. One side had pushed out of line so bad there are bunches on bunches. So now I am taking out the outer edge stitching. It's a big chunk that I hope, fingers really crossed here, will release it and let me leave the bulk of the quilt in the center alone. So after a day of pouting, yup I pretty well lost it, I too out the sides. I haven't laid it out yet. I'm not that over my anger at myself for goofing it up.

Ok, just me rambling.

Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/

bellagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Carmen
Holland MI
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  07:19:23 AM  Show Profile
Please excuse me while I laugh.....I so remember myself trying to load a quilt in the big hand frame. My solution was to roll only the backing on to the frame, then float the batting and top. Attach only the top edges of batting and top to frame. Of course then I thought if I had a long arm frame....the world of quilting would glow....wrong. Still have days I struggle. LOL
Hugs,
Carmen
MJFG #1443

Blessings from Heaven and Earth
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  07:41:39 AM  Show Profile
I'm a little better about laughing now, so thank you for lightening my mood. Sometimes we need that and laughter can be infectious. I need to see if what I did will work, otherwise back to square one and starting over. ugh.

Laurie

Go to Top of Page

CurlysQuilts
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Sarah
Northeast Kingdom VT
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  5:09:54 PM  Show Profile
If it makes you feel any better, I found an antique quilt frame (at least I think it's antique) at a yard sale, couldn't wait to get it home and all set up. But when we did we knew something wa wrong, because the thing just tips over all the time. The legs just seem too flimsy for the top, so I'm not sure if a piece is missing or what, but I've had it now for years and have never gotten to use it. :(

Sarah
Curly's Quilts
www.curlysquilts.etsy.com

“He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” - Micah 6:8

Go to Top of Page

gramax18
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Elinor
meeker Colorado
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  9:29:14 PM  Show Profile
Laurie, the way that I prepare the guilt for the frame is to lay the backing out on the floor (I tape the corners down). Then lay the batting on top then put the guilt top on that. I then safty pin all three pieces together. I use a lot of pins maybe about every 4 or 5 inches.This way when you pick it up and place on the frame the pieces will stay together.
I hop this helps. Happy guilting!

Elinor
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  06:20:39 AM  Show Profile
Elinor. That's interesting. There are two separate areas, one for the backing and one for the batting and top. I think they were never in sink.

On another note, after taking out the side stitching, I was able to get the border on. It isn't perfect, looks like a hand-made job, but that's ok. Overall, not too bad.

Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Hand stitched quilt top Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page