delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2010 :  9:03:02 PM  Show Profile
I have been looking at the Cuddlebug, Cricut and other things and am wondering what is the best buy for the money. They are pricey and I am not sure how much I would use one. I have started making some cards and gift tagg. Anyone advice would be appreciated.

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2010 :  11:02:24 PM  Show Profile
Hi Delicia! I have had the Cricut Expression - loved it! And now have the Cricut Imagine, which I love all the more! I also have a Cuttlebug, which is good for small jobs and embossing. It kind of depends upon what you want to do with your machine. Cricuts come in a variety of sizes with different features depending upon your needs. You can do multi-cuts or different sized cuts with a Cricut, whereas your cutting with the Cuttlebug is pretty limited to one or two layered cuts at a time of the same sized shape. The Cricut Imagine is very expensive, but the cool thing is that it prints, too, which can save you a lot of paper and money. So you can print your own 12 x 12 papers, as well as print and cut the different designs and shapes on their cartridges in a multitude of patterns and colors. The other really great thing about the Imagine is you can use all the regular Cricut cartridges with it. You can also combine a regular Cricut cartridge with an Imagine cartidge, using the color or patterns offered on the Imagine cartridge to fill in the regular Cricut cartridge shape and then cut it out already printed. It's awesome! But it's quite an investment if you're not going to use it regularly - I do agree. You don't get as many designs on a Cuttlebug die or embossing folder as you get with a Cricut cartridge, but if you're just starting out and only using it once in a while, it's still pretty great. Plus, with Cuttlebug's cutting pads, you can even use dies from other machines like the Sizzix and Spellbinder - it takes a little practice, but this really expands your options. Dies are much less expensive than Cricut cartriges, too. But again, if you think you're going to be buying a whole bunch of differently shaped dies, you'll probably find that the Cricut cartridges are more cost-effective because you get so many different shapes from just one Cricut cartridge. And ebay is a great resource for Cricut and Imagine cartridges - if you watch and bid carefully, you can pick up whatever you need at a fraction of the cost! (You can even buy the Cuttlebug, Sizzix and other dies on ebay to save money, too!) One last thought for you... I originally purchased the Cricut Expression because it gave me the ability to cut on a 12 x 24" paper, which none of the other Cricuts do - not even the Imagine (which is new to the line and wasn't available at the time). But I ended up selling it because I didn't use it as often as I had hoped. When the Cricut Imagine came out, I hesitated to purchase it, thinking I'd have the same problem - but I didn't! I actually use my Imagine all the time because it prints as well as cuts. I have my own coordinating paper library right on each cartridge - I can print the designs as they come, change their colors, and even print paper up to 12 x 12 in size! I waste so little paper anymore, I can't even begin to tell you! So the cost of the machine is eventually going to be offset by the savings on the paper. But again, if you're only going to use it every once in a while, you might be better off starting out with a Cuttlebug and a few cartridges and embossing folders, as well as a straight-edged paper cutter. That's a great start. Once you get a feel for it, you'll get an idea of what your needs truly are, and then can move on and upgrade to a machine that's more practical for your needs. I hope this helps! Good luck and happy papercrafting! - Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  6:52:21 PM  Show Profile
Hi Delicia,
I got a sizzix Big Shot at Michael's with my 50% off coupon. I opted for Sizzix because I am not into scrapbooking at all, and mostly make cards and 3-D projects, so I don't have a need for 12 inch paper or any image over 6". I was going to get a Cricut, but I don't really want to buy anything that needs replacement parts, like blades, and the sticky mats. I have bought most of my dies either used on ebay, or with a Joann's or Michael's coupon, which you can't use on anything Cricut. Plus, I can count cranking the handle as WW activity points....just kidding! If you haven't seen Spellbinders dies, take a look. they are beautiful.

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

KanMogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katherine
Rock Kansas
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  05:52:57 AM  Show Profile
I got a Sizzix Big Shot for Christmas. I got some good deals for die cuts on the Sizzix Outlet webpages. It says many of the other brands are compatible with Sizzix. Trish, do you know anything abot that. Are some of the Spellbindinder dies compatible with the Big Shot.

I would rather wear out than rust out.----Richard Cumberland
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  5:24:31 PM  Show Profile
Random thoughts here....

All the mechanical dies can be used in all the other company machines, but sometimes you need to buy a specially sized shim to get the pressure correct. The Nestabilities need that special shim, I know. I have a Cuttlebug that I bought on a black Friday sale for about $40, but I got it just for the embossing capabilities. But, once I had it, the occasional clearance sale has given me a nice die LOL. Doesn't matter which company makes the die, they all cut the same.

Michael's doesn't allow coupons on cricut stuff but Joann's does, as long as it isn't the cartridges or machines. I always use coupons on my cutting mats!

There is third party software available for the electronic die cutters which allows you to cut true type fonts off your computer as well as many digital files. The best is called Make The Cut, but Sure Cuts a Lot is good too. You'll pay $60-75 for the software but never need to buy another cartridge again. I never would have bought a cricut without this software! There are dozens of bloggers who regularly offer free files they have created, and there is a whole cottage industry of file creators as well. For a few bucks you can get most any file without the high price of a cricut cartridge. I do have cartridges, but only those I have been able to pick up for less that $25. I am crafty but cheap :)

Also should mention that the Make The Cut software enables cut-and-print without an Imagine, so you can get a better quality printer and cheaper inks as well.

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  6:18:35 PM  Show Profile
That's an excellent point about the Cricut third party software, Catherine. It is my understanding that it is NOT compatible with the Cricut Imagine at all... Is that your understanding as well? Thanks so much! - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  6:56:55 PM  Show Profile
That's right Nini - unfortunately if you have the Imagine, that software won't work with it. I have the E and use it a LOT. You're also right in that the 12x24 I don't use much but I do use the 12x12 a lot. I bought the E after I learned about the software, and got the E so I could make larger container templates for my soaps and toiletries. The smaller 6x12 wouldn't have gotten me there. BUT everyone has different needs and if a 6x12 works for someone, the Personal goes on sale for $80 every so often.

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  8:55:09 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Catherine! That's what I thought. I don't think they're making plans to change that for the Imagine, either. But I love mine, and I really do get so much use out of it. Oh well... I do use my Cuttlebug quite a bit for embossing and smaller die cut jobs, too - LOVE it!

I wanted to tell you all, too, that there is a way you can expand your Cuttlebug using rubber plumber's gaskets to use virtually ANY brass stencil. This link has a .pdf you can download for the "sandwich" formulas. I had found a gasket kit online at Ace Hardware once before, but when I went to their website, it wasn't there. (It was Ace Gasket Kit 020505 - you might find it in their stores.) I know, however, you can get other brands at other hardware stores. ANYHOW, the .pdf in this link seems to recommend using a mouse pad with the rubber side up rather than the gasket:

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/4505306-post1.html

This link actually has the tutorial on how to do the dry embossing using brass stencils with the Cuttlebug. Here a rubber gasket is used:

http://www.afterhoursstamper.com/2008/06/tutorial-how-to-dry-emboss-brass.html

Happy papercrafting! :) - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  07:41:01 AM  Show Profile
That is great for those who collected the brass stencils. I don't have any as I got into Pergamano early on and liked that look more.......I have used the Fiskar texture plates in my cuttlebug. They work well but the impression isn't too deep so it's a subtle effect, same as using them regularly. I had picked them up on clearance and now I know why they didn't sell lol. I have made my own embossing folders using glue and thinner mousepads, they sell kits that are probably easier but that's what I had on hand. I love the deep embossing you get with the folders the best though! Embossing pieces you cut out with the cricut can really make the die cut pop.

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Mommyswanson
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Laura
Waukegan IL
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  07:55:47 AM  Show Profile
I too got a Bigshot for Christmas, I've found several dies on clearance since Christmas & I love the embossing.

Laura

"That which does not kill us makes us strong!" "I cast all my cares upon you Lord."
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Cricuts Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page