Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  07:11:47 AM  Show Profile
I've been away from MJF chatgroups for a couple days - and I can't believe the great ideas keep coming and coming. This is fantastic. I've still been struggling with my grocery bill - but ordering from Amazon.com has really helped. I have so many more staples on hand, I don't need to make extra trips to the grocery store - which usually equates to extra spending. I can see the trend is improving - plus we've been eating at home all the time. Huge savings... And one of our previous biggest financial downfalls. You think its just a couple dollars here and there - but when you track it you realize how quickly it adds up.

I also ordered some supplements from vitacost.com. Huge savings on some supplements we use regularly - and free shipping through Feb.

I love all the hot pocket ideas - it reminds me of when my girls were young and in girl scouts. We had those pie-irons and you used buttered bread with filling then browned over the campfire. We mostly made sweet pies - but tried a few other things as well. The kids loved them - me too... Great memories - my how the time flies. But I'm still amazed at so many great ideas... Thanks again everyone. Keep 'em coming! :o)

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  07:39:05 AM  Show Profile
I went on amazon and I can get organic baby stuff with free shipping for cheaper than I could go to town and buy conventional formula! Never thought to use amazon. Thanks!

~We can make the world a better place for our kids and future generations by what we do today!~

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  07:53:30 AM  Show Profile
A tip for shopping Amazon.com:
Make a list of the items you are looking to purchase, brand size, weight and what you currently pay for it. Then do your search for these items each day. . . I am still waiting for my sugar to be on the free shipping list. I have found that some items are available in the morning and are gone by afternoon, found some items listed in the evening that were not listed in the afternoon. . . so you need to be vigilant to find your deals.

My score last night. . . wheat chexs, my favorite cereal! 5 boxes for
$14.55, that's $2.91 per box (14oz size) which I normally pay between $3.59 and $4.59 per box at the local store. . . also with free shipping!

Joanna #566

JojoNH
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://www.Eastwooddesigns.com "For all your Promotional Needs"
www.JoannasHomeStudio.com "Keeping traditions alive a stitch at a time"
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  1:16:50 PM  Show Profile
WOW!!! I've got to check out Amazon for more than books. Thank you ladies for sharing the info. Will definetly look into the "grocery" line.
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  3:08:58 PM  Show Profile
So I took a $10 class on baking with sourdough and they give you starter. It has more then paid for itself. I now have three different jars of starter going and so far I've made French bread twice (4 loaves), true sourdough bread (2 loaves), sourdough pancakes, and English muffins(8). I've used about $2.00 in flour(since I grind my own wheat berries), no yeast, one egg for the pancakes, just a few tablespoons of oil. As of yet I have not purchased bread at all from the store this year. I just found a hot dog/hamburger bun recipe on the internet I'm going to try. If I can make those, well I'll be set for making all my bread products from home My DH is just loving it.

Farmgirl #1599
Working from home, working the land
www.lightningcreekinc.com
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2011 :  03:29:49 AM  Show Profile
Annie, it is the best tip I have received, the money I normally spend to get a two week supply of a given food item, I am now spending the same amount to stock us up for a month or in some cases two months... that is HUGE!! If you stay vigilant and only purchase an item with free shipping, you will win every time! Just note, it does take patience

Fudsy, I'm coming over to your house!! LOL!! Right now I am ordering all the supplies I will need to do my own bread as well. I have a question for you, hoping you could share with the rest of us.
I want to grind my own flour, never done it before and not sure where to begin. . . so how did you learn what to purchase ( wheat berries) what type of grinder do you use and what advise do you have for a newbie!!

Joanna #566

JojoNH
Go to Top of Page

2quilter
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Patricia
Greenwood IN
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2011 :  06:31:48 AM  Show Profile
just ordered Tom's Natural toothpaste from Amazon, hard to find in the stores anyway, and the unit price x 6 units -- much cheaper than retail. Free shipping if +$25 (I also ordered some bean sprout seeds). Now I don't have to waste time trying to find this scarce product! I started using it when I found out how much SUGAR is in toothpaste (doesn't that defeat the purpose??? hmmmmm) have to watch the prices though....Jojo is right, it goes up and down....

When life hands you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2011 :  08:08:36 AM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Pam...could you share some recipes? Is this all from a friendship starter? Good for you girl! I'm sure your husband is loving it!

I am going to get on Amazon and check things out too! Great tips sisters!

Be Blessed,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2011 :  2:27:36 PM  Show Profile
I'm really excited about checking out Amazon for more items that will save me time and money. The closest "big" town is an over an hour away from us and in the winter we don't get up there very often due to weather. so ordering things from Amazon with the free shipping would be fantastic. So going to check on things I use and see if they have them and how much. Thank you so much again ladies for the tip.
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2011 :  05:41:14 AM  Show Profile
So happy that everyone is finding so many ways to save and be thrifty this year!! I had a friend recently say to me, Thrifty? I'm not poor. . . LOL!!! So I shared with her that being thrifty is about saving more of your hard earned money. . it has nothing to do with whether or not your rich or poor. It is a mind set to make a conscious effort in spending your money in a good way. Now she is hooked and amazed at how much she is saving as well.

Now, for the amazon.com update, I received one of my shipments yesterday and it was damaged beyond use. so I used the online help center, clicked on the button for them to "call me now", the phone rings immediately! A real nice customer service person gets on the phone and apologizes for the problem and within 3 minutes I have a replacement shipment on the way They are a pleasure to deal with, I have to say I am sooo happy with their service and guarantee. So for those of you who are wondering about it, I wanted to share my experience so you will know, they really do care about you!

Joanna #566

JojoNH
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2011 :  06:53:35 AM  Show Profile
Joanna - that's so good to know about the customer service. That is a concern when you buy stuff online - you never know what kind of "service" you'll get. I've never had a problem to call about - and hopefully, never do - but its comforting to know they follow through.

I often encounter people who think only "poor" people shop at thrift shops or cook from scratch or fill in the blank. I think a lot of people are concerned that other people will think they're poor if they know they're thrifty. Its more of a self image issue a lot of times. Its one of the reasons I like MJF and threads like this - its soooo nice to converse with like-minded people who "get it" and want to share useful tips. Thanks all - keep 'em coming...

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2011 :  06:53:44 AM  Show Profile
I haven't been on the computer in the last couple of days.

Joanna- I would recommend a book from the library called;Flour Power It give lots of history, the biology of a wheat berry it has a chapter about all the pros and cons of different mills and a check list of what you want in a mill. I wish I had read the book first. I have a nutrimill all electric, does a great job and I'm very please with it, but now I'm thinking I want to add a hand mill at some point too. Our local Mennonite store sells wheat berries and the ladies there were very helpful. They sell two different types wheat berries for breads and such. There is a MJF forum for grinding your own flour and read through that one. After that it has just been trial and error. The deer and birds have been getting almost as much bread as us. LOL The good news is that I have yet to use up a full sack of berries yet with all the baking I've been doing. If something didn't work I just make notes, and when it does I make more notes. I think I've checked out every book in the library on baking twice. ;-)

Farmgirl #1599
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2011 :  06:58:08 AM  Show Profile

This was a sourdough that turned out and tasted great!

a Pita bread that turned out pretty tasty

just regular bread.

with the exception of the sourdough bread I used home milled flour. I'm still trying to find the right balance of home milled flour for the sourdough. The deer got two loaves yesterday LOL

Farmgirl #1599
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2011 :  07:01:30 AM  Show Profile
This is more or less an English muffin. One of my DH favorites. You do need the English muffin rings to make them. I used half milled flour and just 1 cup of unbleached flour.

Sourdough Crumpets

1 cup warm water
3TB powdered milk
½ Cup sourdough starter
1TB sugar
1 egg, beaten
2 Cups (+, - just a little) unbleached flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp SAF yeast
½ tsp mixed with ¼ Cup warm water

Pour 1 cup warm water, powdered milk, sugar, beaten egg, salt, and flour into mixer.
Sprinkle SAF yeast on top of flour. Beat until smooth and elastic, about 3 minutes.
Cover with a dry cloth. Let rise in a warm place until batter has doubles in size and surface is a mass of bubbles, about 1 ½ hours. In a small bowl, stir baking soda into ¼ Cup warm water until dissolved. Stir soda into batter. Cover bowl with a cloth. Set aside 30 minutes. Lightly grease a griddle and 4-8 crumpet (English muffin) rings. Place rings on griddle. Heat over medium-low heat until quite warm. Pour batter into rings no more than ½ inch deep. Cook until surface forms a dull skin and tiny holes cover the surface, 8 to 10 minutes. Sip off rings, turn crumpets. Cook 1 minute longer. Cool on a rack. After they are cooled toast them in the toaster and serve with butter and jam.

Farmgirl #1599
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2011 :  07:15:41 AM  Show Profile
Isn't that the truth Tea Lady. my favorite haunts are the thrift stores and rummage sales. I have found some of my best treasures at the thrift stores. I'll go to town just to spend the day walking through the thrift stores. We have four in the next town. Now if I go to the big city of
Coeur d'Alene there are about 12.

The only thing I'm bummed about is our power bill. I'll give it one more month to see. But we had a timer installed on our hot water heater. I've kept most everything unplugged when it wasn't in use including the dryer and the power bill was UP $10. I'm sooo upset. But I'll give it another month as this didn't all happen until the middle of the month but you'd think I would see even a $1 drop not an increase. ARGGHHH

Joanna- customer service from Amazon is a pleasure. I ordered a rubber broom (this is really cool tool) and the only thing that showed up in the mail was a box that had been ripped open with clear packing tape on one end a the cardboard holder that showed what should have been in the box. I contacted the seller and within 2 days I had a replacement in hand with apologies for what happened.

Farmgirl #1599
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2011 :  07:18:01 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Fudsy!!! Now, I will need to get to town and see if our antiquated library has the book. . . keeping my fingers crossed that I can locate it! The pictures of your bread are awesome! I can almost smell them through the computer Glad to know there is a little trial and error to the method to get it just right.

Tea Lady, your absolutely right. . . it is a self image problem.
Like you, I am so happy to have found MJF and so many new Sisters!! On days when everything seems to go wrong, coming here re-energizes me!
Like you said, Keep those tips and ideas coming!!

Joanna #566

JojoNH
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2011 :  12:17:51 PM  Show Profile
Oh my, Fudsy - those bread pictures are fantastic. It made me want to bake bread - or at least eat bread! The pita bread looked amazing - I never thought about making pita bread. And I LOVE crumpets - so I'll have to try the recipe. However, I don't have the English Muffin rings - are they expensive? And where is the best place to buy them? I might try to find the Flour Power book too. This has really sparked my interest. Have you ever used spelt flour? Or what would you buy to make spelt flour? And only one more question, what is SAF yeast? I'm going to make some scones and tea... Yum yum...

Joanna - I agree about feeling re-energized/motivated after "chatting" with a bunch of farmgirls. Life is good.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2011 :  1:08:14 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
You ladies make me hungry,and I just ate.LOL!

Pam your breads look delicious. I could eat them all with butter all over them. We have alot of Mennonite ladies that I see often from spring to fall at a auction that sells homegrown flowers, produce, eggs and baked goods. I'll have to ask them some things.

Just came home from my GS basketball game and stopped at a thrift store. I love to shop in any I can find. I have a sister who wouldn't be caught dead in one. Her lose! Today I bought books. I couldn't bring myself to pay full price for most everything I buy. If it's not on sale at the grocery store I don't buy it. I wait until it is and then stock up! Like some others think we are wacky...I also think they are for overspending. It's like hitting the lottery when I grab a good buy.

Be Blessed,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2011 :  06:37:59 AM  Show Profile
Darlene - I also have a sister who would never, never go to a thrift store - and she tries to get me to buy like she does. There is no way... I love her dearly, but I'm also very glad she lives in CA and I live in IL... :o)I can't remember the last time I was in a mall. I went to the Eddie Bauer outlet ~ 6 mths ago and bought some T-shirts for my husband, but even those prices are very high. Like you, I think its crazy to pay full price for anything.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  04:10:55 AM  Show Profile
Looks like everyone is off to a great start to 2011 being thrifty!
Many of us are re-purposing,bartering,swapping,selling many of the items we have, giving new life to what was collecting dust and space!

Several of you have found new ways of purchasing your goods, saving time, money, travel, wear and tear on your vehicles and more!

So, it is mid February and spring is just around the corner. . . now we need to be vigilant not to undo what we have already accomplished.
This leads us to the Tip of the Day:

With spring arriving soon, we all start dreaming of our gardens, maybe new clothes, cleaning our homes from winters dirt and more. So, on these not so nice days it is time to plan out our spring!! Just like we do for food shopping, figure out your budget for spring spending. . . make out your "dream list" then spend your budget on paper so you are ready when spring fever hits us all!! With your list of items you have decided to purchase, when the fever hits, you will stay on budget, get what you needed and have fun too!

Don't forget, if there is something on your needs list that is not in your budget, bartering and swapping are a good way to acquire what you need!

Joanna #566

JojoNH
Go to Top of Page

meggy2
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

barb
Flemington Missouri
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  5:17:47 PM  Show Profile
ooo Joanna,my dh and I were just talking about our spring plans. We need to add more decorative rock around our foundation. Right now we have the metal edging that is sharp and pushes out and looks awful. Any Ideas for keeping rocks in and looking good? Also my dh is building me a henhouse so we can have chickens. It probably won't be done till May or so. Is it too late to get chicks then? Should I order pullets or just wait till next spring to order little chicks? I could sure use advice from all you farmgirls out there.We have already ordered seeds and plan to plant tomatoes and sweet potatoes in the house. When should we plant onions outside?
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2011 :  5:36:47 PM  Show Profile
Hay Barb,

I'm not too sure about the rocks but they will sure look better than the metal edging stuff. As for chickens, I think it is ok to purchase day old chicks in May but they will need to be under lights and kept warm for the first part of their life. Day old chicks tend to bond better with you than pullets. Every time I order my chicks I keep them in the kitchen in their little box or tub so they can grow and get use to me. Therefore, you can order earlier if you keep them inside with you. I love to hear the peeps while they are so small..They do grow fast and then in May you could take the out and they will be a bit hardier. Best of luck and send pictures.
Love and Prayers, Daizy

PHR Farmgirl #1093
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2011 :  07:39:54 AM  Show Profile
Right now what's on my spring list is bird feeders. Joanna gave me a great tip for keeping squirrels out of them. She suggested putting hot cayenne pepper in with the seed. It won't hurt them or the birds. I can't wait to see their reaction to the taste!!! I do have a mischievous side to me. I'll admit it! lol

They wind up ruining my feeders by chewing through them, so now I'll have one for them and one for the birds!

Farmgirl sister #308
handmade cards, vintage organizer bags and more at www.jeanpatchbymk.etsy.com
http://jeanpatch.blogspot.com
www.fullerdirect.com
id#0920150
www.watkinsonline.com/rjaramillo
www.sunshinefarmgirlcoop.com
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2011 :  07:44:14 AM  Show Profile
I found a new use for old ziplock bags. I save them in the freezer for when I need to throw out left overs. I use them for liquids that can't go down the sink and zip it up and it's spill proof and smell proof.

I do the same thing with my grocery store bags for larger meat packages and left overs like bones etc...

And, for all those coffee cups getting worn out, I use one as a spoon rest and one to hold my paint brushes/water for crafts.

Farmgirl sister #308
handmade cards, vintage organizer bags and more at www.jeanpatchbymk.etsy.com
http://jeanpatch.blogspot.com
www.fullerdirect.com
id#0920150
www.watkinsonline.com/rjaramillo
www.sunshinefarmgirlcoop.com

Edited by - marjean on Feb 19 2011 07:46:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2011 :  09:50:57 AM  Show Profile
I found a use for all my old feed sacks. I make dirty laundry bags and outdoor/camping/fishing/everything utility bags. I even used a bird feed sack for my husband's dirty shop rags so instead of just throwing most of the really dirty rags out we can save even more money by rewashing them. Plus he has a cool outdoorsy type rag hamper! I have even been saving the dog food bags(since the brand we buy switched to that plastic type weave bag so it's reusable and not the paper) since I have so many uses for them. Since I get the 50 pound bags I am going to use my dog good sacks and turn them into my recyclable bags. I just hang them on the wall in the garage, one for glass, one for paper, etc and I just have to put them in the trailer and turn them in.

I too, use old mugs/cups for outdoors things, painting, cleaning, and I have also turned old tea cups into candles and given them as gifts. You know, the tea cups that are missing the saucer! Also I put a little gravel in the bottom, then some dirt and put a single flower in it for mother's day. It's a nice above the kitchen sink brightener! It brightens their day to look at a pretty flower in a mug. Happiness :)

~We can make the world a better place for our kids and future generations by what we do today!~

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic 2011 and Thriftyness Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page