Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 reversing shapping question in knitting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic reversing shapping question in knitting Next Topic  

sewingwoman
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

Giovonnia
Astoria New York
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2006 :  6:43:17 PM  Show Profile
Dear Farmgirls:

I know this may sound silly but what does reversing shapping mean in a knitting pattern?

I'm making a baby sweater and the shape neck section of the pattern says:

Left Front
Patt (pattern) to last sts 8(9:10)sts., turn and leave these sts on a holder. Dec one at neck edge on every row unitl 16(19"21) sts rem. work straight until Front matches same as back to shoulder, ending at side edge. Shape shoulder Cast off 8(9:10) sts at beg of next row. Work 1 row. Cast off rem 8(9:10) sts.

How do I reverse the shaping the Right Front? I can never figure this out and I always avoid patterns that say this. I want to conquer this once and for all. Please help!

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2006 :  6:50:23 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
In crochet it is exactly the same but opposit. meaning if you decrease on the left for the left side then you decrease on the right for the right side and visa versa if you decreas on the right for the left side of the item then you decrease on the left for the right side mirror images. I do not knit I crochet but I believe it is similar concept

have a lovely day
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2006 :  8:00:50 PM  Show Profile
Actually your directions don't really need much changing that i can see, since the neck edge will be on the left side of the right front and right side of the left front...... In other words, if your directions say to do something at the neck edge, you don't need to reverse this direction for the other side, since you will still be doing it at the neck edge. Same way with the directions about the side edge - you will still be doing it on the side edge on the second half of the piece.

If you decreased at the beginning of the row (from the center)(on the knit row on the left front) then when you reach the shoulder and cast off you will break the yarn. Then you will half to start working on the right front, depending on which side you pick up to start again(at the neck edge or at the side edge) you might end up doing the neck decreasing at the END of the knit row (if you start at the side) or at the BEGINNING of the knit row (if you start at the center neck edge). All the instruction to reverse the shaping means is that as you work, the two sides of the piece will be the mirror image of each other.

I get more worried about when to use the SSK versus the K2TOG directions for decreasing - you want the stitches to slant one way on the left side and the opposite on the right side. I just always get mixed up about which one is which if the directions don't spell it out. But on a baby sweater there's usually so few decreases that it doesn't really matter all that much.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic reversing shapping question in knitting Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page