hannahelise92
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Hannah
Carlton OR
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2011 :  09:38:14 AM  Show Profile
Recently my fiance and I moved into a rental, and soon after moving in we discovered that we have furry little visitors that like to scurry over our kitchen counters at night. We've brought it up to the landlord, but he (as well as my fiance and I) doesnt want to put poison out, because I have toddlers as well as a puppy. Does anyone have any advice on how to get rid of our furry intruders?

Hannah

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2011 :  12:31:51 PM  Show Profile
welcome to the forums! and mousehood! i have had a real problem with them this winter--it was suggested to buy the heavy plastic traps that you can bait with peanut butter and maybe a chunk of dog food--i paid about $4.50 for two- they are washable and reusable-easy to set and i didn't hurt self once! also death to the mouse is immediate.....i put them in out of the way places cuz my dog wanted to become a mouser and wasn't quite able!

it was suggested to use scented fabric softener sheets in drawers etc to keep them out...

good luck! hopefully others will make suggestions--

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

hannahelise92
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Hannah
Carlton OR
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2011 :  12:46:51 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tip! I think I might try using those. I'll probably try setting them up under the kitchen sink, I've noticed a lot of mouse poop down there and it will keep it away from the puppy and toddlers.

Thanks Again!

Hannah

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler." - Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2011 :  3:52:29 PM  Show Profile
I recently heard that peppermint oil soaked on cottonballs will discourage mice from coming in - or keep them a way from an area. Haven't tried it. Good luck.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

SherBear
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Sherri
Mukwonago Wi
USA
77 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2011 :  4:55:11 PM  Show Profile
Peppermint oil does work. I used to have them in my kitchen drawers and cabinets all the time, but after the peppermint oil went in there were no more traces of them inside the drawers or cabinets. We have used the glue traps to catch the mice also, since we had a small child and dogs- they work pretty well. I've heard you can 'unstick' the mouse from the glue trap if you want to release it somewhere, but I don't know how involved that is.

My solution was to get cats- we now have 2, and about once a week we have a gift left for us somewhere in the house. I don't know if it's possible for you since you rent, but they definitley help keep the population down!

http://sherrileesgarden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

hannahelise92
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Hannah
Carlton OR
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2011 :  8:30:58 PM  Show Profile
I'll have to try using the peppermint oil. We were originally going to get a cat, but my fiance ended up falling in love with a Chorkie puppy, so I'll have to wait until she's trained before I can get a cat. :(

Thank you for the suggestions though, I'm looking forward to trying out the peppermint oil. :)

Hannah

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler." - Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  07:05:53 AM  Show Profile
hannah welcome to the forum. where in oregon are you? i am in bend redmond area. yipee another oregon farmgirl. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

hannahelise92
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Hannah
Carlton OR
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  09:45:35 AM  Show Profile
Thank you! I live in Oregon wine country. I'm not sure if you know where McMinnville is, but I'm about 5 miles north of there. :)

Hannah

Go to Top of Page

HookAngel
True Blue Farmgirl

253 Posts

Bren
CA
USA
253 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  11:58:49 AM  Show Profile
Just wanted to say that peppermint oil on cotton balls DOES work. We had a problem a few years ago and our landlord would not allow a cat . I tried the peppermint oil and it worked wonders!
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  2:04:47 PM  Show Profile
I use the humane steel traps where the mouse goes in but can't get back out but I have to admit,I'm not so humane in cleaning out my traps,I immerse the trap and all in a bucket of water and allow the mouse to drink his fill then clean it out and replace it.
These traps are safe around kids and pets but require you to have a disposal plan,if you're squeamish they may not work,I don't have any delicate sensibilities and have been known to bludgeon baby mice with a meat mallet which I keep only for such occasions as some little critter needs a good flattening.

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  5:31:00 PM  Show Profile
Dually noted on the peppermint oil.... will put that to good use. We used the old fashioned set traps and caught the one we had an issue with last week. Three days free and clear!

--
See my custom costumes, download free patterns, and hear some spook EVPs from Gettysburg, PA on my site, www.alterationsbyemily.com
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  09:08:48 AM  Show Profile
We struggled with that last fall!! I will try the pepperming oil. Years ago someone told one of my kids that trick too. I just dont want them to come back again this year!! Yuk! Going to give it a try.

Blessings, Linda

http://scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

mndreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

Vicky
Popple Creek MN
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  09:13:18 AM  Show Profile
They also love chocolate syrup... just pour some on the trap.
It sounds like alot of people are having more problems then usual with them this winter. I've got lots of cats outside...haven't seen one this year (knock on wood).

~Vicky~

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God. ~~Ronald Reagan

Go to Top of Page

sharikrsna
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Shari
Carthage Illinois
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  6:07:11 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, I'm going to go put peppermint soaked cottonballs in my pantry right now! the little buggers are gnawing my cookbooks!

Shari
Farmgirl Sister #607
Go to Top of Page

chickenjanedoe
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Sandy
Claypool Indiana
USA
96 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  6:47:38 PM  Show Profile
Recently our mouse population went thru the roof. I was moving stuff in the back of the bedroom closet when i kept hearing squeaks. In the bottom box(of course) I found a mouse care center.ICK.
over 40 babies...eeeewwwww. Called the cats inside...snack time. Set a bunch of traps the next week and in 24 hour period I caught 8 mice. The kitten at really well. The next day 6 and the next 4. None since then. Did hear some scratching last week so I put out pepermint oil. No little presents since then .
On a side note my kitten will be totally unconcious and I can snap a mouse trap and he will show up in less than 2 seconds, expecting mousies.
sandy
Go to Top of Page

KanMogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katherine
Rock Kansas
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  1:37:13 PM  Show Profile
Sometimes you have to replace the traps after a few uses unless you clean them really good. I think they get a smell about them that discourages mice coming near them.

I would rather wear out than rust out.----Richard Cumberland
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  5:42:13 PM  Show Profile
We tried humane traps many years ago. They never worked. I think the best solution is to locate their point of entry and block it with something mice can't chew through. If they're already homesteading indoors, of course, that won't help. Be sure to keep anything that looks like mouse food in a tight container, or in the fridge or something. Keep the stove and areas inside cabinets immaculately clean -- which I'm sure you do, but maybe a previous tenant let something fall into cracks. If there's nothing for them to chow down on, maybe they'll pack up and go somewhere else. This is how we were advised by the exterminator we ultimately called in. We got the problem under control, although an occasional little dude gets in. I just catch them and put them back outside. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

SantaTeresita
True Blue Farmgirl

474 Posts

Teresita
Sacramento CA
USA
474 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  11:03:53 AM  Show Profile
I'm glad for this forum. We didn't have a mouse problem for years. My cat passed away at the age of 18 years old in 2008. It wasn't a problem last year but this fall we found some. We set the traps and thought it was all taken care of. But just this week, we discovered that they had not gone away. I can think of 1000 to a million things I would like to do more than being on Mouse Patrol this new year. We have our traps in action. But I had not heard of Peppermint Oil on cotton balls. No indoor cats in the house anymore either to help out. It was very cold this Decemeber and we've had a ton of year more than usual this fall. I guess the mice didn't care for the rain.

Anyone else has tips...... would be greatly appeciated.

Home+Yarn+Ocean-loving Farmgirl Sister #2503
Go to Top of Page

mywunderfullife
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Amanda
Douglas WY
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  12:34:35 PM  Show Profile
EEEEWwww...Sandy!! I nearly passed out thinking about your "discovery"!! I do not handle mice well at all and unfortunately we get them once in awhile. But...I am going to try the peppermint oil thing in all my drawers and cabinets. Luckily they only get into one area so it should be pretty easy to get the cotton balls put where ever I need them.

Thanks to everyone for the great tips!

"don't outsmart your common sense and never let your praying knees get lazy"

Farmgirl #2424!!
Go to Top of Page

Lindsay C
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Lindsay
Rogersville AL
USA
117 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2011 :  10:46:17 AM  Show Profile
We've had an awful problem with mice this year! I'm fairly new to living in the country so I've never had to deal with this before. I'm definitely going to be trying the peppermint oil on cotton balls. I have a three year old and two indoor pugs, so poison is not an option. We are currently using traps baited with peanut butter and they are working pretty well. But we have a crafty mouse or two who have figured out how to get the peanut butter without getting caught (much to my dismay)! We do have an outdoor cat that catches a lot outside, and if the inside of our house wasn't so full already I would add an indoor cat. Sometimes I do let our cat inside if I hear the tell-tale squeaking and set her loose on a mouse hunt. She usually springs into action and catches them, then she's happy to head back outside with them. She's my hero. :)

Lindsay
Farmgirl Sister #1452
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2011 :  06:04:38 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I am going to try the peppermint oil, too. Whatever you do, do not use the glue traps. They are horrible and inhumane, and gross, speaking from personal experience. A good thing to do, too, is try to find areas where they come in and use that foam to fill them up. We had them coming in the kitchen from a small hole underneath the sink where the pipe came up. Closed that up and haven't seen them since, until yesterday in the basement when I went to get some potatoes and there were some having a party in the bag...ewwww!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2011 :  10:09:41 AM  Show Profile
I don't know what is worse, a mouse running around or a dead mouse that you can't find. I have the latter. Somewhere in my living room. I have moved all the furniture. Covered the heater vent. I have even turned the recliner chairs upside down. Didn't find anything but a whole lot of dust. Well, I'll get the vacuum out later. I have sented candles sitting around, did a fire in the fireplace last night and burned some herbs. This morning it is worse than ever.

I have done the peppermint balls and they do seem to work. I guess I got a little too relaxed. Will get out the peppermint as soon as I get off here.

I wouldn't recomend the practice of catch and release. They WILL come back in. If you are going to do that, load up the little critter and haul him off to the landfill. There is plenty for him to eat out there. I wouldn't worry about being humane when it comes to mice. There is nothing humane about me having to clean out the pantry or rewashing all the silverware. They love pastry brushes and wooden spoons. Or having to smell the nasty little thing while I am trying to read or watch TV. OK, going to go find my bottle of peppermint.

Belle

Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  3:57:55 PM  Show Profile
I don't like mice, either, but I can't stand the sight of anything suffering,even a disease-carrying rodent, and when I used a glue trap the little bugger was still alive! My stomach turns thinking about it...

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  8:32:39 PM  Show Profile
We used regular mouse traps with a piece of yarn knotted to the bait part with a tint bit of peanut butter on the yarn. Gets them every time. I want to try the peppermint oil if we get more little " visitors"!

~We can make the world a better place for our kids and future generations by what we do today!~
Go to Top of Page

LeighErica
True Blue Farmgirl

306 Posts

Erica
PA
USA
306 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  8:39:35 PM  Show Profile
We too had a major mouse colony residing in our home when we moved in this past summer. Invest in some cats...we have 4 who stay inside and that helps keeps the critters away. We have baited mouse traps set up in areas where we saw alot of droppings...just 2 storage rooms in our basement and the garage. The smartest thing we did to keep them out....went through the house and found all areas that they could be coming in and filled them with expansive foam. And I can proudly say, since we have done that, we rarely get a mouse in the house..they are all caught in the garage. The stuff really works:) Good luck:)
Go to Top of Page

SherBear
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Sherri
Mukwonago Wi
USA
77 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  10:14:15 PM  Show Profile
We have at least one mouse right now, and usually one of our cats is wonderful at catching the mice and killing them. This one however, she has been catching, carrying around, playing with and letting go! Usually she leaves them for us as nice little presents, but so far, I haven't found a mousie body. I watched her over the weekend chase it down, catch it, carry it around, let it go, chase it, catch it, carry it around and so on for about an hour. I'm surprised the poor thing didn't have a heart attack!

http://sherrileesgarden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Mouse Problem Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page