TexBetsy
True Blue Farmgirl

319 Posts

Betsy
Princeton TX
USA
319 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  10:36:32 AM  Show Profile
Although I don't deal with the same cold as you Northerners do, once it turns the least bit cold here in Texas and we have to turn on the heat, my skins turns horribly dry, especially my face. What type of face lotion do you use?

Betsy

"God does not command that we do great things, only little things with great love" Mother Teresa

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  11:15:10 AM  Show Profile
I have bought and used all the high end brands and always go back to ponds cold cream to take my makeup off, and ponds dry skin cream for night and morning. Fot the rest of me I like the curel body creams. they have come out with some new ones that work really good. You can get all of these products at the grocery store or drug store.
Nancy Jo

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  11:17:23 AM  Show Profile
I've been using Purpose. I have both dry AND sensitive skin and it's very difficult to find something that works for me, especially in the winter months. It's a very nice moisturizer, and doesn't break me out, either. That, used in combination with my new favorite gentle all purpose cleanser made by Philosphy, my skin looks better than it ever has.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  11:38:14 AM  Show Profile
I use Philosophy's "Hope in a Jar". I love it. I always use their cleanser, "Purity made Simple" too.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  11:42:33 AM  Show Profile
I'm glad to hear (another) good review of Hope in a Jar, Sheri. I loooove my Purity Made Simple cleanser. It's changed my skin entirely--never looked better!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  12:13:56 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I use regular old Oil of Olay.

I use a eye cream from Clinque.

I am sensitive, so my exfolient is a regular washcloth. I use Oil of Olay's Shea Butter soap. Leaves me soft and not dry feeling.

This is my second winter in Texas.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

foreverbooks
True Blue Farmgirl

514 Posts

Carole
Tombstone AZ
USA
514 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  1:47:00 PM  Show Profile
I use goat milk "Radiance" facial cream produced by Udder Delight out of Glenwood, New Mexico. They do have a web site at www.udderdelight.com. She has great soap and lotion.

Carole

In light, love, and friendship!
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  1:47:38 PM  Show Profile
I use L'oreal rejuvinating moisturizer under my make up and when I go to bed. It goes right into your skin and even with no make up it keeps your face very nice and smooth and protected, it works. A friend of mine has used nothing but Noxema to wash her face with and then Oil of Olay for all the 40 + years I have known her. She is gorgeous, is it the combo or genes? Who knows!! She says it's the combo.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

cntrygrl
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

Tommie
Kansas
USA
139 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  2:13:08 PM  Show Profile
I don't buy high end anything...except face moisturizer. I use clinque, the yellow stuff. I'm like you, summers I'm fine but winters I have to use something. I like clinique b/c it moisturizes without leaving my face feeling greasy like other stuff will. Although its pricey, it doesn't take much and one of their big jars lasts me a few years.

Tommie

~Live~Laugh~Love~

~Dust is a country accent~
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  3:01:03 PM  Show Profile
Good old Equate (WalMart) Naturally Beaming Daily Moisturizer. And Oil of Olay at night. Cheap, but works OK. Love Philosophy, but it is no longer in the budget.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  3:11:47 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
I use Mary Kay's Moisturizer. It's a bit pricey, but everything else I've tried breaks me out really bad.

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/ Etsy~http://www.etsy.com/shop/theflourishingfinch

Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  4:01:36 PM  Show Profile
I, too, live in TX and get dry skin in the winter. I love, love, love Paula Begoun's products AKA Paula's Choice products. They are reasonably priced and most all of her items rate very highly.

http://www.paulaschoice.com/

I researched her for a long time before I committed to a purchase and I find that her own products as well as her reviews for other products are spot-on. (she reviews thousands of other products at Beautypedia.com) Nighttime, I use Neutrogena's nighttime anti-wrinkle cream. It has AHAs (alpha hydroxy acids).

Anyway, whatever you do choose to use, I learned this simple 'trick' from my bout with eczema: Apply moisturizer within 3 minutes of getting out of the shower or tub! It 'seals in' the moisture and it really, truly works. I use Olay Quench or CeraVe lotion (both @ Wally World) on my body. ALSO, just as importantly, your cleanser/soap may be to blame for the dryness. I always just used ol' detergent bars (if the package of 'soap' does not specifically say 'soap', it is likely a form of a detergent!), and my face would peel like a lizard! It was nasty. Well, then I read about using either a 'sensitive skin' beauty bar (Dove makes a good one) or use a real, non-drying soap bar, like a goat's milk bar. WOW, no more 'peelies' for me. I exfoliate gently with some soap on a rag to remove dead skin, and then I moisturize immediately after the shower.

sorry for the long post, but I'm passionate about skin care. I wish someone would have let me know years and years ago! I learned a LOT through Paula's site and newsletters. :0D

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  8:42:53 PM  Show Profile
I use Burt's Bees Radiance Day creme with Royal Jelly. It's easily available and I like the Burt's Bees line.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

TexBetsy
True Blue Farmgirl

319 Posts

Betsy
Princeton TX
USA
319 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  05:06:51 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the advice! In the past, I would buy whatever grocery or drug store brand was the cheapest. Now that my skin is 50 years old , I do think I need to spend a bit more for a higher quality lotion.

Betsy

"God does not command that we do great things, only little things with great love" Mother Teresa
Go to Top of Page

HookAngel
True Blue Farmgirl

253 Posts

Bren
CA
USA
253 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  1:14:33 PM  Show Profile
Philosophy's hope in a jar in the daytime and miracle for nite time.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  1:33:37 PM  Show Profile
I've always been a Mary Kay girl, since I was 16. I use their products for sensitive skin. Lately, no matter what I use on my skin, though, I get all red, blotchy, itchy and bubbly. It goes away after a few minutes, but I don't like it at all. My Mary Kay lady says it's a hormonal thing, as our bodies change every 7 years, but I don't know. I can't help wondering if it's just the chemicals in the product; maybe I've just built up an even greater sensitivity. Also - I did try Philosophy a while back. I liked it a lot, but I still had the same reaction as I did to the Mary Kay. I would like to try something more natural, if anyone has suggestions. :)

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

SherBear
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Sherri
Mukwonago Wi
USA
77 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  1:50:08 PM  Show Profile
Lately I've been using all L'Bri products on my face. They're a local company that does the direct sales/home party routine and my aunt sells for them. It's an aloe based skin care line (they also have makeup, body lotion, shampoo, etc) all of it aloe based. They do have some chemicals in the products, mostly preservatives, so I don't think I'll stick with this forever, but for now it's a good fit and takes care of most of my acne issues, except of course those pesky monthly hormonal ones!

http://sherrileesgarden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2881 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2881 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  1:59:15 PM  Show Profile
I've been using Suzanne Somers Organics. They have a verey high rating of certified organic, toxic free..which is hard to find. I especially like her serum; it is pricey ($20ish for an oz), but a small amt covers your whole face easily, & it lasts quite a long time. I trust Suzanne's research; she has the money to research what most of us can't. I also use some Aveda stuff from the hair salon, & Neutrogena Retinol. I like to mix it up.
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  4:55:02 PM  Show Profile
Olive oil or Crisco. Don't laugh...it works great for me! No coloring or dyes....and I don't look 55! ;)

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
Go to Top of Page

TexBetsy
True Blue Farmgirl

319 Posts

Betsy
Princeton TX
USA
319 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  7:05:00 PM  Show Profile
Judy, I love your idea. I'm going to give the olive oil a try. Years ago I took an infant massage class (that baby is now 26 years old) and we used olive oil in the class. By the way, I'm originally from Canton, Ohio - not too far from you

Betsy

Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  7:50:58 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I heard Olive oil or sunflower oil works.

I can't use Mary Kay. I am super sensitive. I break out in hives at most things.

I like Elizabeth Arden's one cleaning lotion. It smells like Sea Breeze. Does anyone remember that??? But it is pricey.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

tribalcime
True Blue Farmgirl

2963 Posts

lisa
lexington ky
USA
2963 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2011 :  04:42:42 AM  Show Profile
I use a blend i make up of coconut oil..olive oil and shea butter all whipped together in the blender. I really cant use much over the counter stuff cause of the perfumes .

http://tribalhorse.blogspot.com/
My webstores are http://www.1craftylady.blogspot.com and http://www.shadowsofthegoddess.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2011 :  08:18:50 AM  Show Profile
Betsy...how cool is that? I never meet anybody from around here...then ***pop*** there you are. See people, we ARE on the map. LOL
Thank's for piping up!
I break out and itch with a lot of products on the market...very sensitive skin. But isn't shea butter a wonderful product Lisa. But it's so costly. Look at the size of the can of Crisco you can get for a couple of bucks, and it looks the same!!! LOLOL
I remember SeaBreeze. Loved that smell.

Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

lovingewe
True Blue Farmgirl

212 Posts

marlyn-neleh
norwood Ontario
Canada
212 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2011 :  5:54:55 PM  Show Profile
I sound weird after looking over this post but I use Olive Oil.
No allergies at all. Just dab some on a cotton swab and rub it lightly on my face.
Seems to keep the wrinkles at bay and keep my skin moisturized even in very cold weather.

Marlyn

http://www.heritagefarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  09:19:48 AM  Show Profile
Yeaaa...let's hear it again for Olive Oil! I pour a little into my hands to apply to my face and neck and with what's left I put on my elbows. Oh, who am I kidding, I use it all over. No more wintry-itchy skin for this Ne Oh chick....I'm oiled and ready for the frying-pan!!! LOLOL

Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2011 :  2:48:22 PM  Show Profile
My yoga teacher skin was beautifule was in her 60's and she used olive oil. the dematologist took me of of all make up and I have to be very careful with anything I put on my skin.(I am known as a stinger by cosmetic companies....they will pay us to try their cosmetics to see if we break out...can't pay me enough) anyway...Crisco and olive oil does work for me.....I wish I had part of the money I have spent trYing all brands...even organic... I am 65 and confess that I have not taken the best care of my skin, but am trying to do a bit better. I agree that the price of the item has nothing to do with working for us. i saw an interview of 2 women on one of the talk show (Today) and they had written a book on cosmeticis and what they contianed. i think the title was "don't give me that dirty look." If any of U have seen it, Please let me know. I am going to read the suggested reading on this share. Thanks for listening.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic What face lotion do you use? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page