Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic 12 lb turkey? Next Topic  

CountryLisa72
True Blue Farmgirl

58 Posts

Lisa

58 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2011 :  11:29:44 AM  Show Profile
Ok I got a 12 lb turkey from my work and I cooked it today..Now what??

Can I can anything with my turkey?
need homemade recipes
Thanks for the help..

I will be making a mini thanksgiving feast for myself and making BBQ turkey legs for later this week.

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2011 :  12:54:08 PM  Show Profile
We make homemade pizza dough and make our own hot pockets for the freezer. We just made some turkey, bacon, cheese, and ranch dressing pockets and they were wonderful. You roll out your dough and cut to whatever size you like. Put small amounts of everything in them and fold over. To seal the dough be sure you wet the edges all the way around with water. I just dip my finger in a cup of water and run it around the edges. You bake it at 425* for 15 minutes. They are great frozen and reheated. We let them sit out for a few hours if we're usin them for dinner and pop them in the oven for about 10 minutes at 300*, or microwave them for 2 minutes on one side and flip it over for 1 minute on the other. You can make about anything in pizza dough and people will love it.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  1:18:00 PM  Show Profile
I can turkey in chunks with chicken broth to cover and use in soups, casseroles and such.yummy!!
Have fun!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  06:28:51 AM  Show Profile
Don't forget Turkey Hash--one of my absolute favorite winter time meals to use up leftovers after baking a turkey.

Red potatoes
turkey, shredded or chopped fine
onion
garlic
bacon grease or butter
caraway seeds
dijon mustard
chicken stock
white wine (optional)

chop potatoes and parboil; drain. Melt butter or bacon grease and saute onion, garlic until tender. Add potatoes, stock (about 1/4 cup), white wine (glug), caraway seeds and turkey. Combine, cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed and pototoes are tender. Take lid off, allow potatoes to brown a bit; 2 minutes before serving, add dijon mustard to taste. Stir in well and serve! Can also crack an egg over top with the addition of the dijon and let cook to scramble.

Perfect winter meal.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kluckingbear
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Tabitha
Ellensburg WA
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  1:28:12 PM  Show Profile
My friend makes turkey nachos and they're wonderful. Just mix taco seasoning (or your own blend) with the cooked turkey and top the chips with it. You can freeze it cooked for a little while.

~Come visit me at my blog www.kluckingbear.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2011 :  7:03:01 PM  Show Profile
I cook my turkey in the oven,and take out leftovers and make it into chunks.....we pick it off the bone and make it into small pieces. Then I bag it and freeze it. It becomes part of our turkey/veggie soup. It also becomes creamed turey on toast. Freeze it in small chunks and you can do many things. Then take the carcass out to the back of your property and let the animals eat it.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  11:49:46 AM  Show Profile
I cut into chunks and freeze for use with hotdish or like an alfredo thing. Also make turkey noodle soup and can it, wonderful on those days when you are too tired to cook. Just make a big batch of the soup and can, I believe 10lbs pressure for 1 1/2 hours? Would have to double check.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic 12 lb turkey? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page