True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

Tommie
Kansas
USA
139 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  7:43:46 PM  Show Profile
HEEEELLLP!!!!

So I'm making this hat. The pattern says how many stitches to cast on, but I'm thinking my yarn is thicker than what they were using. So I've been working on it, but thinking it's going to be more of an adult size hat. But then I was looking at hat measurements for babys online and they say around 14'' circumference. The circumference is A) the part that will go around the babys head and B) the length that is on my needle. Right? Wrong?

~Live~Laugh~Love~
~Dust is a country accent~
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  8:31:18 PM  Show Profile
tommie..correct on both accounts.... If you ever wonder if your yarn is going to be the right size you can always do a gauge swatch before yoy actually do your project and it will tell you if your yarn needs bigger needles or smaller to get the right size...

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  1:36:55 PM  Show Profile
Ok, you gals have me(55) wanting to learn to knit too. Is there hope at my age? And I warn you...I haven't a crafty bone in my body! Mom and Sis got it all. I worked away from home all my life. Never took the time to learn hand-crafts. :(
My DH has a Kindle so I can have him teach me how to download the e-book for beginners.
My Sister mentioned "finger-knitting once. Have any of you heard of that? Is it easy? Seems like it would be handier not to have to use needles. (I have a needle phobia) LOLOLOL

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
"Why couldn't I have been born Rich instead of So Good Looking?"
Go to Top of Page

cntrygrl
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

Tommie
Kansas
USA
139 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  2:12:23 PM  Show Profile
It's VERY doable Judy, promise! There are TONS of videos online if your a visual person like me. Also check around locally, and see if there are any knitting type clubs around. I've found most knitters, quilters, etc are more than willing to help you get started.

Whats hard to me is reading the pattern. When I was little I played piano from age 4 to age 8 and I never did learn how to read the music. My piano teacher would play it, then I would play it. Knitting feels like the same way. Hopefully as I get going the patterns won't look like greek. lol

I'm almost finished with the hat!!! I finished what I needed to knit and I'm just gonna say....I'm not a fan of casting off. My boyfriends mom said it wouldn't have been quite so hard if my stiches weren't so tight. Oops. lol I really need to pay attention to my tension and ease up a bit on my next project. Anywho, she's going to show me how to "sew" it together in the back and along the top. Then its D.U.N, done! That'll probably have to wait until next weekend, but I'm very close! I took a pic and will take another pic when its completely done and post it.

Eventually I want a shawl/wrap, but I think my next project is going to be a pair of fingerless hand warmer thingy's.

Here's a question. My skin is really sensitive so I can't wear most scarves b/c it irritates my neck. What type of yarn should I use that won't be itcy?

What are y'all working on?
Tommie

~Live~Laugh~Love~
~Dust is a country accent~
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic knitting my first project! Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page