cntrygrl
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

Tommie
Kansas
USA
139 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2010 :  11:13:53 AM  Show Profile
I bought yarn a while back to make a baby hat and I started it today! I just learned to knit a few months ago so this is my first real project. I'm so excited! Its actually going to end up being an adult size hat (the yarn itself is bigger), so I'll have to keep at so I can finish it and get going on the baby hat (half the stitches this time). Wanting to have it done for the shower next month.

I'm having to take a break, my pointy finger hurts from pushing the tip of the needle through. I know, I'm such a newbie. Its looking really good so far...I'm kind of shocked!

I just learned to embroider last weekend, so that's another project I've started. But the hat is priority right now. I'm just so excited about my new skills. I love working with my hands.

Tommie

~Live~Laugh~Love~

~Dust is a country accent~

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2010 :  11:18:01 AM  Show Profile
I am glad you are enjoying your new skills
I am in my mid 50's
I too love to work with my hands
I sew, quilt, knit, crochet, tat, hand embroidery , counted cross stitch. Just to name a few.
Keep learning different crafts and needlework. hugs sheila

http://www.sheilascreativetouches.blogspot.com/

http://www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6610 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6610 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2010 :  11:22:28 AM  Show Profile
I too am fairly new to knitting even though I learned years ago, I too am in my mid 50's. Not sure what I would do with out my knitting, it relaxes me and keeps my hands busy. I have a real simple mitten pattern from the 1960's, let me know if you would like me to send it to you, it is a fun pattern.
Love to crochet, embroidery and counted cross stitch and quilt when I have time.
Have fun and enjoy your knitting.
Hugs,
Debbie #1582
If you are lucky enough to live in the mountains you are lucky enough.

Deb
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2010 :  12:47:21 PM  Show Profile
You go girl~

I can't seem to stop knitting wristlets this winter-LOL!

I would LOVE to learn how to knit socks though and that is a very big priority for me in 2011-Learning how to knit socks on double pointed needles--Whew!

Let us know how your hat turns out!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.bythebayhandcraftedsoap.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2010 :  12:57:22 PM  Show Profile
knitting socks is not hard melody..you will be able to do it...would love to see a picture of the hat when you are done tommie!! everyone have fun...

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

cntrygrl
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

Tommie
Kansas
USA
139 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2010 :  1:17:41 PM  Show Profile
I will definetly get a pic on here of the hat when its finished.

Debbie I may take you up on the mitten pattern when I get my hat done. I'd love to give hats and scarves, and mittens away as gifts. :)

I'm 31 and live in a small community. The ladies who embroider and knit around here are getting up there in age and I would hate for these things to 'go by the way side.' Plus, I got to show my 10yr old niece how to knit and I just have to say that was REALLY cool. She really enjoyed it too.

I agree Melody, I'm gonna have to tackle some socks in the future.

Love having the knitting bug! Glad I'm not alone. :)

~Live~Laugh~Love~

Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6610 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6610 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2010 :  1:24:35 PM  Show Profile
Just let me know Tommie and I will send you the pattern. Knitting socks was on my wish list to make before I got to old. I have knit 4 pair and once I learnt how I had so much fun, and they are so warm. Like your hat they are a very good winter project just like mittens. You are like me my knitting group of ladies are in their 60's and 70's so I want to get all the wisdom I can from them.

Happy New Year

Hugs,
Debbie
Go to Top of Page

cntrygrl
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

Tommie
Kansas
USA
139 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2011 :  07:58:58 AM  Show Profile
I broke my needle! I was given quite a few needles from a friend of my Moms (yay!) and this set (size 5) were bendy. I didn't like them but didn't want to make an hour drive to get needles, so I carried on. Well I was midstitch and SNAP! I cursed, then I laughed. I was in the kitchen with my boyfriends Mom (she taught me to knit) and once we got another needle slid into the stitches to keep my place she asked "you think you need to loosen up on u'r tention!?" Both of us laughing I said "No, I'm just a hardcore knitter!" I'm still giggling about it.

~Live~Laugh~Love~

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2011 :  09:24:53 AM  Show Profile
What fun Tommie!! I have been going through my knitting books like mad - I want knitted gifts for my folks and my husband's next year so am going to attempt an actual garment this year. Should stretch my capabilities some but there is something about making something to give....
Please do post a picture of the finished project:)
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2011 :  09:28:57 AM  Show Profile
that is so great that you have someone who can teach you and "help" you out when need them!!! hehehehehe

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6610 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6610 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2011 :  09:29:12 AM  Show Profile
Broke needles happen to all of us Tommie, my problem is I real tight. So it is always very difficult for me to knit my cast on stitches. I can not wait to see your finished product, keep laughing and having fun with it as you will love the rewards.

Hugs,
Debbie
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2011 :  10:50:28 AM  Show Profile
Knitted up seven sets of hats and scarves as Christmas gifts this last month. Already starting on the next seven for Christmas this year. That's besides starting a baby afghan for #14 grandchild due in June. Tommie, it just takes lots of practice, practice, practice. I didn't learn how to knit until I was in my 50's and you can't stop me now. It's so relaxing and fun to do. I do my knitting any time and any where - on a plane, in the truck while DH is driving, when we go camping and even the doctor's office. It's very habit forming. You're going to do great and go onto many more fun projects. I'm teaching myself how to do embrodery too as well as needlepoint and punch needle. It seems like when you learn how to do one thing - like knitting - it leads to wanting to learn other crafts as well. Good luck to you and know that if you have a problem you can always get on a MJF thread and ask questions - there will always be a farmgirl who has the answer for you. Knit on!!!
Go to Top of Page

cntrygrl
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

Tommie
Kansas
USA
139 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2011 :  11:34:52 AM  Show Profile

The needle in its broken state. Hehe!

~Live~Laugh~Love~

Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2011 :  11:50:33 AM  Show Profile
Knitting Daily has a free download of instructions for beginning knitters. It is in the form of an e-book. Go to www.knittingdaily.com and register to download. They offer lots of great free patterns too.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6610 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6610 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2011 :  11:54:35 AM  Show Profile
You are so funny Tommie sending a pic of your broken needle. So happy you are having fun. I work with wood needles and love them, others like metal which are much harder to break:-)
Hugs,
Debbie
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2011 :  11:58:50 AM  Show Profile
I just love this thread. I too only learned to knit a few years ago and I am in my 50's. I live in a small community and a lady had some lessons. now we have gone to having a get together once a week at this church and we all help each other out. there are a few older ones that know how to knit really great and if any of us have a problem we can ask them and it is great. I have ( I hate the name) knitting for dummies that has a sock pattern and some other things in it for first time knitters if anyone would like it , it is yours just for the postage. just email me... I think we need to keep this thread going and post pics and just have fun !!!! another person put a free pattern for socks on her blog on this forum but I think they may be too advanced for me. but they sure are pretty....

beverley baggett
Go to Top of Page

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2011 :  1:51:16 PM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
I tried to teach myself to knit and crochet a couple of years ago when I first joined the connection. My mother and grandmother were so very talented from making afghans to tiny little crocheted ornaments. I'm such a disappointment to the clan. but I can't do it. I managed to make an extremely ugly book marker!
Have at it, girl!

FarmGirl Sister #123

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2011 :  2:33:16 PM  Show Profile
it just takes a lot of practice. when I first was learning I just took I think it was size 8 needles and some yarn and cast on i think 100 stitches and just knitted and then I would get tired of that so I pearled a few rows and then went back to knitting. that first piece had some mistakes and I was not making it for any reason other than to learn ... It wasn't all that good but by the time I ran out of yarn I had my tension pretty good and was ready for my first project. but it didn't look like anything any one would want to give to anyone!!!! hehehehehehee

beverley baggett
Go to Top of Page

cntrygrl
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

Tommie
Kansas
USA
139 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2011 :  3:45:20 PM  Show Profile
I know what you mean Beverly. I've only learned the basic knit stitch. Once I have it down I want to move on to others. But I have a "thing" that I started learning on (think they were size 8 too, and metal). I have a big gap in a few places that look like button holes. No idea how I did that. lol. Right now I'm working with size 5's, and I bought metal. Those bendy ones were for the birds!

~Live~Laugh~Love~

Go to Top of Page

cntrygrl
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

Tommie
Kansas
USA
139 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2011 :  3:48:54 PM  Show Profile
Debbie, I figure if you can't laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at!?

Smiles!
Tommie

~Live~Laugh~Love~

Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2011 :  4:07:55 PM  Show Profile
oh you should have seen my first one!!! hehehehehe there are only 2 stiches in knitting if you can those down you got it. all the rest are just how you use those 2.....

beverley baggett
Go to Top of Page

Lady Woodworker
True Blue Farmgirl

259 Posts

Karen
Chamberlain Maine
USA
259 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  6:11:42 PM  Show Profile
What a scream!
Is there a "broken needle" merit badge? There oughtta' be some kind of award for this...
har

Karen

Farmgirl Sister # 2419
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  6:37:29 PM  Show Profile
You go girl! So excited for you. I always say, "Knitting is my yoga". I love it. Congrats. I teach knitting classes for my town, for adults and kids, and I'll share a little tip. If you are holding your needles so tightly, imagine they are made of glass, and you have to loosen up the grip. Works like a charm. Good luck, and happy knitting!!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

eggfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

253 Posts

Kristy
Melvern KS
USA
253 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  8:31:15 PM  Show Profile
I'm so happy you are a new knitter as well. I guess I a really a return knitter. I did knitting on 4-H a million and one years ago. I am with you learning. My biggest problem is that when I get to knitting along.. my puppy, Angel, thinks it's something fun to grab my ball of yarn and run like heck cross the living room !! Yeah, not fun ! Hehehe ! Have to laugh or I'd cry and throw the whole thing out the window. But... I am woman hear me roar... I WILL LEARN TO KNIT AND FINISH SOMETHING WONDERFUL ! lol !! I am laughing with you about the broken needle . I did that while in 4-H and my grandmother just told me I was too strong and had thrown too many bales of hay ! lol ! Enjoy and will keep watching to see the completed hat!!

Hugs...Kristy
"Live like you were dyin'"
Sis #2339
Scattered Prairie Gals Chapter
http://www.myhealingthroughartstory.blogspot.com
My studio Blog- http://www.lostcreekstudio.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Peg Graham
True Blue Farmgirl

281 Posts

Peg
Chesapeake Virginia
USA
281 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  04:17:05 AM  Show Profile
Tommie- if that's a wooden needle. you can push it through an electric pencil sharpener, then sand it down and you'll have a new tip.

I've been knitting for 2 years now. I joined a local Knitting MeetUp (Yarn for Breakfast) and knit daily at home and on a weekly basis w/ the group. My friends through MeetUp have taught me, shared patterns w/ me, exchanged yarn w/ me, shopped with me, gone to Maryland Sheep & Wool with me, we do parties together, and now we have date nights with our husband's together.

I also joined RAVELRY. There's so much information out there....it's wonderful! Free Patterns, Knitting Videos (try YouTube) and more.

Good Luck and keep practicing!!!

Yarn Hugs-
Peg

miles of smiles~Peg
My Blogs:
http://unforgettable-peggraham.blogspot.com/
http://knitapalooza.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

cntrygrl
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

Tommie
Kansas
USA
139 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  2:45:03 PM  Show Profile
Y'all are a hoot! Thanks for laughing with me in this adventure of mine.

Karen, maybe I should keep the broken needle and frame it or hang it for my "badge." Hehe

Annie S I can't wait until I can get that much done in a year! I still need ALOT of practice!

The needle wasn't wood and it wasn't metal. To tell you the truth, I don't know what it was. It was bendy and would flex. I didn't like them from the get-go. But thanks for the tip on the wood one, I would never have tried to sharpen it.

My boyfriends Mom wanted to use the other one for something, but then he and I started messing around with it, ok I was poking him in the ribs to make him squirm and squeal like a little girl (tehehe), but then back came his elbow and snap, crackle, pop. The other one went into MANY pieces. We just laughed our hiney's off and told her she might have to glue it a little. Ahhh, RIP bendy needles.

Needles to say, I bought metal needles this time. Maybe it can take my brute strength, HA! *insert Tim-the-toolman's laugh here.

~Live~Laugh~Love~

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic knitting my first project! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page