theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2006 :  12:44:20 PM  Show Profile
I am trying to plan an overnight trip to Chicago~~Want to find a hotel within walking distance to all the sites downtown..
Any suggestions?
Jan

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2006 :  8:12:16 PM  Show Profile
Jan,
I use priceline.com online. You just name the area you want, the hotel/motel grade and the price. I've gotten AMAZING $200 rooms for $40! You might try that.
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2006 :  07:55:35 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Rhonda~~
I checked several hotels and most were not available~~Have a reservation at The Whitehall Hotel~~"Guestrooms are decorated with antique-style dark wood furniture, crown moldings and carved headboards with contrasting floral and striped prints...Built in 1927 as fashionable apartments..coverted into a luxury hotel in 1974" Sounds like my kind of place!... I hope it is as nice as it sounds..
Only one night so any suggestions on the best places to see downtown would be appreciated~! I havent been to Chicago since I was a teenager.
Jan
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2006 :  4:57:17 PM  Show Profile
You should check out what concert or festival might be in Millenium Park the night you are there. Do go see the park -- and the famous 'bean' sculpture! (named 'Cloudgate' by the sculpture, but it looks like a big chrome bean). I love going to the Art Institute, especially the Impressionist paintings, but if you are there just one day/night, you might not have time. Navy Pier is a bit of a tourist-y destination, but there are fireworks every Saturday and I think Wednesday nights, so that's fun -- and there's a free trolley from Michigan Avenue area to the Pier. I love the Russian Tea restaurant that is right across from the Art Institute on Michigan Avenue.
Go to Top of Page

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2006 :  2:32:31 PM  Show Profile
Jan,
We go to Chicago every year, it is one of our favorite cities. We tell everyone it is a big city but with nice people. WE have stayed in the Swiss Hotel which is pretty much on the Chicago river right where it meets lake. At the beginning of Michigan ave. ( where all the shopping is and in the other direction, a few blocks down is Marshall Fields, Carson Pirie Scott, the Art Museum, the Oceanarium, and the Field Museum. Right next to the Swiss is the Hyatt and down further near Marshall Fields is The Palmer house, one of the oldest hotels in Chicago. If you stay at the Palmer it's not bad walk to the Museums. There is a line between saving money on a hotel and spending everything you saved on transportation because your location stinks. Chicago also has some of the best food in the country. If you stay in the right place you should be able to walk everywhere including dinner.
Have fun, I wish I was going.
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2006 :  04:00:40 AM  Show Profile
At the Whitehall, you're on Delaware Place, just west of Michigan Avenue. You'll be on the north end of Michigan Avenue, by the John Hancock center, which used to be the tallest building in Chicago (now it's the Sears Tower). You can catch the free trolley on Michigan Avenue -- for sure by the old Water Tower (across the street is American Girl Place) and I think in other locations on the Avenue. That's handy for getting down to the museums, etc., and out to Navy Pier. There's a tourist info center on Michigan Avenue and Randolph/Washington in the Cultural Center and there you'll find tons of info.

Have fun!

Edited by - katie-ell on Jun 19 2006 04:05:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2006 :  10:41:17 AM  Show Profile
Thanks gals for the suggestions~~ We want to see the Shedd Aquarium and one of the museums~~ I love Impressionist painting too~! Sounds like we will have a full couple days-going to get up early-spend the day/night and then the next day also..I hope the hotel is nice~
Jan
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2006 :  11:55:03 AM  Show Profile
Go to the Art Institute -- you must see the Monet haystack paintings and more Monets and the Renoirs and Mary Cassatte-- and be sure to see the huge Seurat -- also the famous Grant Wood of the farmer with the pitchfork with his wife/sister standing in front of the farmhouse is at the AI -- , and just outside is Millenium Park, with wonderful modern water fountains that you just have to see -- and the Bean! I love the Shedd. You might want to catch a cab or trolley out to that museum, just to save time (and your energy) -- it's a bit of a hike (1/2 hour or more?), but can be done -- just walk along the lake through Grant Park and then look back at the skyline across the water --- wonderful!
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Chicago Hotels?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page