Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Patriotic decor, reading, events, etc.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Patriotic decor, reading, events, etc. Next Topic  

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  08:09:09 AM  Show Profile
what does everyone do for our Independence celebration? Do you decorate red/white/blue for the month of july (i do) .. i've been re-visiting some of my patriotic BOOKS .. reading one on world war two times and collectibles .. read a quote by Einstein .. that was chilling .. something like this:

"I don't know what kind of weapons will be used for World War III .. but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"

wow! sobering thought!

True Friends, Frannie

My KENTUCKY RAMBLINGS 'blog':
http://cabincreekfarm-kentucky.blogspot.com/

farmgrlchick
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Theresa
Columbus Montana
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  08:27:53 AM  Show Profile
I love Patriotic decor! I am going to sew some red , white and blue banners to hang across my windows. Something simple that the kids can help with. My youngest, born in July on the 30th anniversary of Neil Armstrongs walking on the moon. This year we are having a reunion on the 1st. I am also going to Arizona to meet my neice, who at present is cozy in her mommies womb. I think my in-laws may come for a visit. So we have a busy July ahead.

Farmgirl Blessings,
Theresa
http://theresaslavenderbox.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  10:18:14 AM  Show Profile
I am working on a patriotic quilt for the living room right now..I drag out all the patriotic theme stuff I can find..and yes..for the month of July..
Our little town has the best 4th of July celebration!! There is a morning parade..and it goes down Main street and then turns and goes right down our street to the city park!!! so we can sit on our own front porch and watch the parade..how fun is that?? The boy scouts sell subscriptions to flags on the front yards on all the holidays (there is one today out there for flag day!) and so besides the one we hang ON the house there will be one in the yard..and the kids dress in their 4th of July outfits. I always make sure to wear red white and blue myself!!
The city park has things going on all day...booths, a watermelon bust, greased pole contest, Miss 4th of July, patriotic speakers and fiddle contest, talent show, egg toss, food booths, dunk tank..you name it. Then there is a specacular fire works show at the fair grounds that night...we sit on blankets over on the grass by the high school (more comfortable than bleachers at the fair grounds!!) and ooh and ahh...what a wonderful way to end that night.
I look so forward to that day!!
We have two of my favorite Aunts coming to visit the next day on July 5.so we will be busy busy busy...I love it!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  10:39:05 AM  Show Profile
July 4, 2006 with by my and honey hunk's 30th wedding anniversary!!! we were married on the Bi-Centennial on a mountside in Colorado!

I was working at NASA when 'man' first landed on the moon! Got to be in the control tower .. what an awesome moment!!!

I love patriotic decorating too .. one of the rooms in one of our cabins has a year-round patriotic theme .. HUGE american flag .. smaller american flags .. patriotic books .. vintage fabrics in red/white/blue .. wonderful antique coverlet with 1863 woven in it .. (the year our cabin was built) .. and two great big antique BARBER POLES with red/white/blue stripes .. our sofa in there is dark blue. xoxo

jenny .. what a great town celebration! hank is taking me to that wonderful historic town of New Harmony, Indiana for our anniversary. xo

True Friends, Frannie

Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  11:20:15 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Oh my Frannie, you do amazing things! In the control tower, I am blown away!
I must visit you soon. Had a free ride to Harrods Creek last week but you were in Disneyworld. Next time we fly down that way (we're building them a couple fire trucks) I will hitch a ride in!

For the Fourth we usually pack a picnic basket and head out on the lake for the best veiw of the fireworks. I still love the ooh's and aah's from everyone. When I taught preschool we would make all sorts of decorations and banners and then decorate the trikes and have a bike parade. Afterward we would have ice cream cones at Welches Pavilion.

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights
http://bethsblissnblossomfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  3:40:09 PM  Show Profile
oh gosh .. you reminded me of how we would put 'playing cards' in the spokes of our bikes so they would make a 'whirring' sound when we rode! great little trip down memory lane!

dooooo come visit!!! xoxo

True Friends, Frannie

Go to Top of Page

sillyfoulks
True Blue Farmgirl

164 Posts

Elizabeth
Illinois
USA
164 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2006 :  05:54:44 AM  Show Profile  Send sillyfoulks an AOL message  Send sillyfoulks a Yahoo! Message
Until we moved to Illinois, we always had a HUGE 4th of July Bar-B-Que. It started when I meet DH, We lived right next to a park, where every year the city had it's 4th of July Celebration. All our friends and family would come over. It seemed the natural thing to do. People would start showing up at 6:00 AM, when Hot Air Balloons would take off just behind our house, followed by the Lyon Club's pancake breakfast, and the city parade. Many of us girls would still be in our PJ's. All day long there would be music, performances, and vendors. By mid-day the grill would be going, and food a plenty. Friends and Family would come and go. Kids, running to and fro, or playing with squirt guns until the just got tuckered out. As dusk fell the park filled even fuller, thousands of people trying to find the best viewing spot for the fireworks. Our front yard was one of the best spots!

Anyway, even after we moved from that tiny home, we still had our 4th of July bar-b-que every year. Sometimes they where a little smaller then others, but we always had them. The biggest one we had was in 2001, we had a pool at the time, and DH's brother and his family had traveled (from Georgia) to California for a visit. I think we might have had a good 50 people.

We really miss our 4th of July Bar-B-Que's, we haven't really had one since we moved to Illinois 2 yrs ago. But, we got one planned for this year. It will actually be on the evening of the 3rd, it just seemed a better time for everyone. I have been planning like crazy. The croquet will be set up, along with volleyball, and lots of room for football or baseball. I have been trying to get DH to fix the Basketball net, which is about to fall. The grill will be going with a endless supply of hotdogs and hamburgers. And the garden will be picked clean of all it's ripe produce. Over the next few weeks I will be stringing up white lights, and anything patriotic. Invitions are already being extended to friends, family, and co-workers. Wagons, wheelbarrows, and wash tubs collected and washed to hold beverages of all sorts.

Dh and I just love to entertain like this.

Elizabeth

Not how long, but how well you have lived is the main thing.

http://livingcountrystyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sillyfoulks
True Blue Farmgirl

164 Posts

Elizabeth
Illinois
USA
164 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2006 :  05:58:39 AM  Show Profile  Send sillyfoulks an AOL message  Send sillyfoulks a Yahoo! Message
Oh, and great idea Frannie. All the bikes have been inspected and repaired. I am going to have to find an old deck of cards for the kids. There is nothing like noise on the 4th of July. Maybe a bike race is in order!! I will have to find a prize! I just love planning this kind of event.

The last one was a Weiner Roast and bon fire we did for our son's football team. We must of had 100 people, it was a blast.

Elizabeth

Not how long, but how well you have lived is the main thing.

http://livingcountrystyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2006 :  08:01:18 AM  Show Profile
hi elizabeth .. i, too, miss our family july 4th celebrations since moving to kentucky.

with each generation growing up and marrying and having to spread themselves between at least two families (sometimes more if there have been re-marriages among parents) .. this is not in our case .. seems i'm the 'black sheep' of the family with more than one husband!!! BAAAAAAAAA (that was a sheep sound!) but since i adore both husbands .. and everyone is so friendly .. it just made our family larger!

"I" was pretty much the 'party planner' and when i moved away .. the family still gets together .. but they say it just isn't as much fun!

i do get back 'home' for some of them though!

who is the 'matriach' (did is spell that right?) in your family? i would say my auntie EM is .. but she is now in her 80's .. and for quite a few years .. I took over that role. sad .. but i believe after me ... it will be 'new families' since our children and our children's children are becoming spread more across the country. i loved the 'good 'ole days when family all lived within an hour or two drive at the most). xo

True Friends, Frannie

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2006 :  10:05:02 AM  Show Profile
Hi all,
The fourth around here seems to last about a week. there is a carnival in town, fireworks, parade etc. The next town up the road does their parade on a different day. At some point during that weekend we go to my youngest daughters house, its also my son and law and youngest granddaughters birthday. So there are about 50 friends and relatives, big dinner, fireworks, birthday presents etc, so far we have always has great weather for it, so here is hoping for the same this year.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2006 :  11:06:01 AM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I like the forth of july my mother in law was born on the 3rd and my middle daughter was born on the 2nd so we roll all three together at my house and shoot off fireworks and have a big birthday party I like it lots of fun oh yeah we have squirt gun fight to end all squirt gun fights about 60 people running around with two or more squirt guns each. not just little ones either adults and kids with big and little and not powered and powered squirt guns no one goes home dry.

have a lovely day

Edited by - sunshine on Jun 15 2006 11:07:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2006 :  12:24:37 PM  Show Profile
oh sunshine .. i would sure volunteer to be the 'target' for those squirt gun fights about right now! think i'll run out to the yard and take a SHOWER!! xoxo

True Friends, Frannie

Go to Top of Page

theoanne
True Blue Farmgirl

282 Posts

teddie
CARROLLTON GA
282 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2006 :  7:20:33 PM  Show Profile
The 4th here in Carrollton is "the People's parade"( any unit as long as you sign up) anything from politicians to brownie troops. Usually every church group and local buissess has a float.The kids all take plastic bags because everyone throws candy from the floats.If it's hot some groups pass out H2O. Then it's home to hang with the family and cook out. At dark the town fireworks are in the high school stadium. We usually park in the nearby Wal-Mart lot to watch. As for decorations at our house we have our flag out all year and my blue star banner proudly displays the blue stars for 3 sons and son-in-law who are in the military. So I guess our decorations are celebrating all year.

Teddie
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2006 :  09:41:34 AM  Show Profile
I celebrate "ME" !!!! It's my Birthday!

I also love to decorate Red/White/Blue, But I like it all year!!! I have a bedroom that is all RWB & flags.

We usually cook out and watch the fireworks.

Frannie, New Harmony is awesome!! You'll have a great time!

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2006 :  1:23:06 PM  Show Profile
Bridge .. happy birthday .. and we celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary on that date!

i am sooooooooooooo looking forward to new harmony!!!

True Friends, Frannie

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Patriotic decor, reading, events, etc. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page