Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 Anyone interested in starting a reading group?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Anyone interested in starting a reading group? Next Topic
Page: of 11

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  05:31:05 AM  Show Profile
karen,

So glad to see you post. Hope you have contined healing and you soon feel like your old self! No apologies are necessary in my opinion. I think I speak for the other members when I thank you for all the time you spend running the club and we Are thrilled to hear you are recovering just fine.

I vote for The Stupidest Angel.

marianne
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  4:30:39 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Marianne! Went for my occupational therapy today and learned that they've 'signed' me up for an additional 10 sessions because I don't have the mobility I should have at this point. I go to the ortho doc this Tuesday and hope that he'll give me the green light to not have to have my brace on at work and when I'm out and about.

I have heard nothing but good news about the movie The Help. DD and I want to see it so badly! Hmmm.....wonder if it'll be on DVD by Christmas? Sounds like a nice gift for her. I'm just torn whether to read the book AND see the movie or if I should just skip the book and see the movie.

Karen

Farmgirl Sister #2984

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms." George Eliot

http://farmchicatheart.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

MaggieMB
True Blue Farmgirl

217 Posts

Mary
western Pa
217 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  5:45:52 PM  Show Profile
Karen, Hope you get to lose the brace, and have a quick recovery! I know what you're going through! As for The Help, my theory is: book first, then movie, if at all possible. As for our next book selection, I've always had a soft spot for Truman Capote, and love A Christmas Story! So Breakfast at Tiffany's, etc, gets my vote.
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  1:50:23 PM  Show Profile
Hi Karen! Glad to see you post again. I tried e-mailing but it was bounced back to me. I hope your arm gets better soon.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2011 :  12:33:48 PM  Show Profile
Aw shucks, ladies.....ya make it so hard to pick a winner! So rather than me being the bad guy and determining which book will be December's pick....how about the three that Brenda, Mary and Marianne chose respectfully? No, you don't have to read all of them but you're welcome to do so if you'd like and have the time during this busy month. I personally would like to read all three and will most likely do just that (hubby's recently buying the Kindle Fire will certainly make this much easier - cuz' now I can read in bed without a light on and I can adjust the font size on it AND the background color so I shouldn't have to wear my readers for my old peepers).

So here's the three we'll be reading:

The Christmas Jars
The Stupidest Angel
Breakfast at Tiffany's

We had our first wee little snow dusting last night. Didn't cover the grass but it was purty nonetheless. I had to work Black Friday and I vowed that I'd try my best not to be in the retail business this time next year. All I came in contact with were friendly and in the festive mood and the day went by quickly - but I'm no spring chicken anymore and it whipped my hiney for the remainder of the weekend.

Everyone take care and stay warm and I hope you'll all get your shopping done in record time so you can sit back and enjoy the season's festivities!

Karen

Farmgirl Sister #2984

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms." George Eliot

Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2011 :  06:22:51 AM  Show Profile
Oh my! Ya better have a box of kleenex ready for this one. I just couldn't put it down. So on to the questionnaire:

1. Which character do you like the most, and why? The least and why?

I positively loved Adam. The father we all wished we had (or did have) with a heart of gold. Can't find anyone I liked least as there were no characters in this book that were unlikable.

2. What passage stood out in the book to you?

"It was a smell she hoped she'd never forget."

3. Are there situations and/or characters you can identify with, if so how?

I can identify with most in both small and big ways, yet I find it hard to explain exactly why.

4. Did you learn something you didn't know before?

Not really, other than it's humbling (not sure if this is the right word) to know a man wrote this book. Too often women are raised to believe men are tough and uncaring - yet the author's compassion on many levels clearly shines through as he brought out the depth of feeling in his characters. That is learned.

5. Did your views on a subject change after reading this book?

No

6. Have you had a life changing revelation from reading this book?

No

7. What major emotion did the story evoke in you?

Tenderness for the human soul, and for all the paths that lead us to who we are as a person today.

8. At what point in this book did you decide if you liked it or not?

When Louise put the baby in her coat and left the diner with baby Hope.

9. Name your overall favorite thing about this book. Your least favorite?

Most favorite was that it was a Christmas story, and I'm a sucker for them.......especially at Christmas. Least thing - I simply had none.

10. If you could change something about this book, what would it be and why?

Wouldn't change a thing.

11. Rate this book on a scale of 1 - 10 (didn't like at all to loved it!). Discuss (optional).

It's a full 10. I can see this one made into a movie! Kathy Bates as the older Louise. Debra Winger or Sandra Bullock as Hope. Not sure who'd play Adam.

I hope someone else reads this, I'm very interested to see what others
think of this wonderful book. I cried so many times throughout this book, but couldn't put it down and HAD to finish it before I went to work!

Happy holidays, ladies!

Farmgirl Sister #2984

Edited by - missusprim on Dec 03 2011 06:25:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  09:30:05 AM  Show Profile
Ladies! Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and New Year. Here in Ohio we just had our first snow about a week ago along with dipping temperatures. Our pipes froze, and THAT was an adventure!

But holidays are over, trees are put away and another year lays ahead of us. I know we've been busy (myself included) the past several months yet I see where interest has waned considerably in our reading group. I don't say this to make anyone feel badly, so please don't feel offended. I knowingly include myself in the lack of involvement.

On that sad note I feel it's best to close the group and move on. I do wish everyone the best and thank each and every one of you fantastic ladies for joining me and sharing your thoughts with us!

Karen

Farmgirl Sister #2984

Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  3:56:33 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for your time and leadership, Karen. I enjoyed being part of the group.
Marianne

See ya on the farm!
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2012 :  12:58:43 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, Marianne - I appreciate your thoughts. And yep, I'll 'see ya on the farm' as I plan on being a part of MJF for a long time!

Farmgirl Sister #2984

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Reading Room: Previous Topic Anyone interested in starting a reading group? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page