Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  10:03:13 AM  Show Profile
My son is 16 yo he has gf who is 15 yo. They have been seeing each other for a little less than three months. He is homeschooled and she attends public school so they see each other on weekends when he is not working. She lives about 20 miles from us. They text whenever his phone allows it. We are the meanest mothers around his phone turns off at 9PM and turns on at 11:30 AM.

Anyway, he wants to know why he can not sleep over her house on New Year's Eve. I told him I do not trust that his hormones and hers will not get carried away with each other.

That is so lame....he tells me. So, I put it more bluntly and he did not like that reason any better.

Young love.....lol

Holly

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  10:00:49 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
You would think it would be common sense. LOL You did the right thing Holly!
Hugs,
Hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Lifes not about the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away.

Just a small town country girl, farmgirl,loggergirl, trying to live her dreams. :)

P.s. I've been playing around with the spelling of my name ( weird I know) and I've decided that I will stick with Hannah for good. Sorry I got you all confused. Hugs!!
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  06:49:54 AM  Show Profile
Oh Holly, That made me chuckle.

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  2:31:15 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
You are very right Holly! I'm so glad my oldest daughter is not your typical teenage girl, but I dread the day she may become one. LOL

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/ Etsy~http://www.etsy.com/shop/theflourishingfinch

Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2011 :  03:37:35 AM  Show Profile
I am amazed that her parents would entertain the idea of letting her boyfriend sleep over at her house!

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

HollyG
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Holly
Hamburg Arkansas
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  11:23:59 AM  Show Profile  Click to see HollyG's MSN Messenger address
Hi-Holly-who-spells-it-like-me!

As an educator, I'm proud of you! Limits are great! I tell the my students the greatest compliment they can give me is to say I'm mean. That means I'm setting limits and they are learning that life has consequences. I, too, am concerned her parents would consider it. However, I also understand the concept of young love and the drama surround it and how driven they are to see one another. Perhaps you could compromise - a highly-chaperoned party at a school, home, or church? Anything they can attend together than night that would allow them some time together, but not in a compromising position? Not being a mom, I've never dealt with this, but I grew up so sheltered that I had a difficult time adjusting to college life away from home. And, by difficult, I mean I went buck wild. Once I figured out Mom couldn't see me, then all bets were off. (You know it's true - the Lord watches out for children and fools - of which I was both at that time...) It's just something to consider. Baby steps now may prevent babies later.

HollyG
Farmgirl #2513
www.mydeepwoodslife.com
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2011 :  11:15:41 AM  Show Profile
Stick by your guns, you did the right thing. Maybe both of them should think about if they're ready to be parents (a possible consequence of "sleeping over"). Ah the teen years when hormones rage and brains shut off.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

Cari Lynn
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Cari
Rixeyville Virginia
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2011 :  1:21:21 PM  Show Profile
Take it from a once upon a time teenage girl who got pregnant at 18 and thankfully married her high school sweetheart. We are very lucky that we are still married, 24 years later but it has had it's moments that it has been damn hard, tears, screaming matches, hurt feelings, etc. But I look at the good stuff...and out of all of our friends, we are the only one's who are still married and happy.

So stick by your guns, many teenagers only let their hormones over run their common sense and later on, when your son has his own children, he will totally understand what you are doing now.

" Promise me you'll always remember: Your braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." By Christopher Robins to Pooh

www.goinggreyfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2011 :  5:22:48 PM  Show Profile
You did the right thing. Stick to your guns. I've always liked what Billy Graham said about young love - "It's only puppy love but it's real to the puppy."
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  4:29:12 PM  Show Profile
My son and his gf went to the Crystal Ball together. It is the winter version of a prom and I think it is open to any high school age person. It went until midnight. Great for the children not so great for the parent that picks them up afterwards. Again her mother offered to have ds sleep on their couch. We said no.

The gf is one of two girls in her family the youngest and her parents seem to have far more ability to drop everything and run for her. It seems the gf can make plans and her parents just run her around or go and get ds. it is mind boggling to me who has to think about who is left at home and whom I have to run where before I can decide if I can take him somewhere. He has learned over the years that Mama has to think for a bit before I will consent. He is good about that.

My children understand how much time it takes to raise a child and are very critical of any parents young or not who do not pay what they consider adequate attention to their infant or child. Hopefully, that understanding will help keep the reins on the impulsivity of hormones. We have discussions on topics of sexuality and sex often. Sometimes I have to breath and then answer the question because I am not always comfortable but I want them to have the right information..

Ds has his phone turned off right now for isolating himself in his room and becoming mean. Not helping, not talking, blaming and generally being self absorbed. He is working on earning it back by being kind. He is generally a nice, helpful young man. So, it is very hurtful when he is mean. He told me he would be kind for a week to get his phone turned back on. I find texting is very isolating. My children are always waiting for the next text so they can not function . Their verbal skills deteriorate as well. I think it is a privilege on needs to learn to handle.

Holly

Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic hot , young love Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page