Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Venison Recipes? Next Topic  

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2010 :  08:20:50 AM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
Hello, farmgirls! I'm looking for venison recipes of all shapes, sizes and flavours! I'm a serious foodie and have even taken culinary classes, but am having a hard time finding anything. In my new life, I have a freezer full of venison and acres of woodland full of ummmm fresh venison, still very rare . My next LE will be learning to hunt.
Can anyone help a sister out??

FarmGirl Sister #123

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2010 :  08:26:22 AM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
PS: If you know of a cookbook about venison and/or game, I would love to find one.

FarmGirl Sister #123

Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2010 :  09:58:43 AM  Show Profile
The Alaska Magazine cookbook has lots of wild game recipes. I don't know if it is still in print. My mother had one called "Home the Hunter" or something like that.

We use a lot of deer and elk meat and I have found that it substitutes well for beef. Sometimes you need to pound the steaks, but not backstrap. My husband's favorite meal is deer/elk steak dredged in flour and fried with mashed potatoes and gravy and peas.

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2321 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2321 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2010 :  11:21:07 AM  Show Profile
One of our favorite meals for venison is to put a roast in the crockpot, cover it with Dr. Pepper, add sliced onions,salt and pepper, cook for several hours until the meat shreds easily. Shred the meat and return to the crockpot and add your favorite barbecue sauce. We like honey barbecue sauce. Heat until warm and serve on buns. Yummy!!!

Julie

With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts.
Go to Top of Page

Colleen Easlon
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

Colleen
Port Orford OR
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2010 :  2:14:00 PM  Show Profile
Our family favorite for cooking venison, is to cut in to 1/4-1/2" thick slices, dip in flour & fry in hot crisco oil. I then make a gravy from the leftover oil & such in the pan. Make mashed potatoes, & it's an incredibly yummy & filling meal.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2010 :  2:38:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
We too have a freezer full of venison right now and would greatly appreciate recipes! :) Doug made steaks last night and I think a good marinade would have taken them to the next level.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2010 :  3:04:10 PM  Show Profile
I use alot of venison and elk....lots of friends and relatives who hunt and share!I use venison in most any recipe where you would use beef. It is much leaner so I tend to marinade it more often. I make jerky quite alot..a big hit...and chicken fried steak, as well as stroganoff and stew...just as I would with beef. I like a teriaki marinade with the steaks and then cook quickly in a hot grill pan....for the marinade I mix equal parts olive oil and soy sauce and add some brown sugar, fresh minced garlic and grated fresh ginger root. serve with good rice (I love basmati rice) and veggies...yum! One of my alltime favorite meals!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2010 :  5:07:12 PM  Show Profile
All the things one can do with beef, one can do with deer. We grind it, can it, make jerkey with it, cut it into roasts and steaks and what not.....

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
www.CarolinaRoses.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2010 :  9:11:02 PM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
Thank you ladies! My culinary textbook had exactly two pages on venison so I wasn't too sure, but I spent gobs of time doing beef, sauces and french cuisine, so I'm good to go! I'm so psyched to get cooking!

FarmGirl Sister #123

Go to Top of Page

pine creek gardens
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

anita
new pine creek Or.
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  10:47:22 AM  Show Profile  Click to see pine creek gardens's MSN Messenger address
I have a LL Bean Game & Fish cookbook by Angus Cameron, its so good. lots of recipes and good stories and pictures. It's worth buying if you like wild game and hunting.

www.cabinsatpinecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

earthmamaT
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Tammy
portola California
96 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  6:35:14 PM  Show Profile
We eat a lot of venison. For roast I mix mayo with a little curry, soy sauce, garlic powder salt & pepper, smother the venison & roast with onions & potatoes. Any stew that calls for beef you can use venison in. Another favorite of the family is a curry venison. I take chunks of meat and sautee with onions, carrots & curry sauce. Just serve over rice. Sautee up strips and make a blackberry sauce yummm. I use the ground venison for stuffed peppers, stuffed cabbage or any dish needing ground beef.

Tammy ~
"Be the change you want to see in the world" Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Jessi Lynn
True Blue Farmgirl

144 Posts

New York
USA
144 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  7:20:38 PM  Show Profile
I haven't purchased it yet but it looked like one I'd add to my cookbook shelf.
The Complete Venison Cookbook written by Harold Webster
It has around four hundred pages and even includes side dishes. I saw this in the legendary whitetail catalog (www.deergear.com) but I went on www.amazon.com and they have it and they have a click to look inside you can check out the table of contents to see if it one you'd like to buy.
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  11:46:55 AM  Show Profile
Taste of Home had one a couple years ago.

I can ours in the oven and it comes out really tender and the juice is a great base for gravy. Done it in pressure cooker but like the oven better.

Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

meggy2
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

barb
Flemington Missouri
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  06:14:41 AM  Show Profile
I have a freezer full of venison every year. One of my favorite recipes is spiced venison:
3-4# venison roast
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp pepper
1 chopped med onion
2 (1/2) oz envelopes brown gravy mix
1/2 c ketchup
2 T red wine vinegar
2 tsp prepared mustard
1 tsp worchestire sauce
2 beef bullion cubes
1/2 to 1 cup water
cut roat in big chunks put in crock pot. Mix all other ingredients . pour over raost and cook on high 7-8 hours. serve with mashed potatoes or rice. Really yummy.
Another tip, venison is great meat, but be sure to cut as much fat off the meat as possible because the fat tends to give it a "wild" taste, as does the bone with the marrow in it. I have many many more recipes for meatloaf and others if you or anyone else wants some, please e-mail me anytime. Happy cooking!
Go to Top of Page

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  3:48:50 PM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
Thank You, Ladies! I'm definitely gonna get that cookbook and try those recipes!

FarmGirl Sister #123

Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  4:33:11 PM  Show Profile
I got this in 10/9/04 so dont know if its still online or not. It was from www.bowhunting.net/susieq/sausage.htm. Neighbors came over and one looked this up and we all made sausge and had a great time.
3 1/2 lbs venison-defatted and ground
1 1/2 lbs smoked bacon-ground (I bought a box of end pieces)
1/2c brown sugar
2 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp coriander
2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp savory
1/8 tsp. cumin
to taste- hot sauce
Mix all together well. Shape into patties to fry. May be frozen.
Go to Top of Page

MTwoman
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Marti
bond colorado
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2011 :  06:45:34 AM  Show Profile
Flour salt and pepper fryed up in some bacon greese aint nothing better!!!

Edited by - MTwoman on Jan 30 2011 06:47:01 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Venison Recipes? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page