Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic For soap makers! Next Topic  

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2010 :  9:12:53 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Farmgirls, I am really getting into soap making and would love to know where you get your essential oils and other soap making supplies. I have made hand milled soap before but I really want to start making it from scarch. any ideas?
Hugs,
Hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Lifes not about the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away.

Just a small town country girl, farmgirl,loggergirl, trying to live her dreams. :)

P.s. I've been playing around with the spelling of my name ( weird I know) and I've decided that I will stick with Hannah for good. Sorry I got you all confused. Hugs!!

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Dec 22 2010 :  1:55:06 PM  Show Profile
I will go diggin for my info later this evening! I have gotten some of the oils from Columbus Foods, I believe.

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

http://rua2j-grammysheirlooms.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  2:23:33 PM  Show Profile
Hannah,
I do hot process, but I would do a first batch as cold process first.
I have a bulk food store about 20 miles from me and they have a lot of what I use Olive Oil, Coconut oil for basics.
I had my local hardware store order me a case of Lye (talk about worried I'm making meth -wow)
My oils I either order or get thru the local health food store.
I don't scent as heavy as most people do.
Karen

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Dec 28 2010 :  5:51:36 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Thank you Karen!! I have looked online at alot of bulk stores and have found what I need but shipping in bulk can be expensive. sigh. I didn't know you could get lye at hardware stores!?! I will check that out. :)
Thank you so much!
Hugs,
Hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Lifes not about the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away.

Just a small town country girl, farmgirl,loggergirl, trying to live her dreams. :)

P.s. I've been playing around with the spelling of my name ( weird I know) and I've decided that I will stick with Hannah for good. Sorry I got you all confused. Hugs!!
Go to Top of Page

OneHippieChick
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Susan
Huntsville AL
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  12:34:18 AM  Show Profile  Send OneHippieChick a Yahoo! Message
I've used Camden-Grey Essential Oils and Florida Soap Supplies and have had excellent service with both!

Susan ~ Farmgirl Sister #1978
Fiber artist, spins, knits, crochets, sews, weaves, quilts, soap maker, as well as various beauty products and some natural cosmetics
Working on getting my Etsy website and blog up and running - stay tuned!
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  02:09:39 AM  Show Profile
I get the olive oil from cash & carry, the other oils and essential oils from Liberty Naturals in Oregon. I have purchased from them for years and found their products great.

Good luck with your soap adventures.

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many, Herbalist, Master Energy Intuitive

http://herbalmommasda.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  09:30:29 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Thank you girls! I will check all of this out!
Hugs,
Hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

SherBear
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Sherri
Mukwonago Wi
USA
77 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2010 :  5:46:25 PM  Show Profile
I'm making my first venture into soap making (like I'm looking at recipes and haven't bought any supplies yet...) I have an older cookbook that has some soap recipes in it but all of them call for 2 tbsp of 'caustic soda' Even the name scares me, and it says in the intro not to get it on your hands and not to handle the newly made soaps too soon. And I'm going to put it in soap to use on me and my family? Umm...No. Anyone have any info about what this is and what I could substitute with? Some of the soaps sound yummy, but I don't think I'll be buying any caustic soda anytime soon.
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2010 :  7:03:24 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
Hi Sherri, Caustic soda is just another name for lye. :)
Hugs,
Hannah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Go to Top of Page

SherBear
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Sherri
Mukwonago Wi
USA
77 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2010 :  9:17:52 PM  Show Profile
Ahhh ok :) It just sounded so... nasty in the description. ;)

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic For soap makers! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page