LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2010 :  04:15:12 AM  Show Profile
I have a hope chest here that lives with a cloth scarf on it. I went to move it to a different room the other day and when I took off the scarf, there was a big oval white spot. On looking further it looks like it had got damp- might have been over the summer.
I would really, really like to get that white spot out! I can remember hearing things about toothpaste, mayonnaise, cigarette ashes!!! But don't know the exact procedures!
I can't use anything harsh, as I don't keep that stuff in my house anymore, but can you girls all give me your best ideas?!!
Thanks!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

"If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down. "~ Mary Pickford

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2010 :  05:00:39 AM  Show Profile
Brenda,
I think you are on the right track . . . I've heard the same toothpaste and mayo thing, but I'm not sure of the specifics. Fingers crossed for you.

marianne
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1497 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2010 :  07:06:59 AM  Show Profile
Try wood block oil if you have some. Otherwise, just plain Mayonnaise has worked for me. You just spread it on in a thin layer on the stain and let it soak in until it dissapears. Depending on how dry the wood is you may have to make multiple applications. Then you can oil or polish the rest of the chest and it will look like new! Wishing you luck!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2010 :  5:45:30 PM  Show Profile
I had water stains all over a buffet that survived a house fire. I didn't try mayo, but I think I will now on the hard to reach areas. I did Step 4, listed below BUT BUT BUT it WILL ruin some finishes! I do believe that shellac is one of those that it will mar. It DOES work, but you must test an out of the way area! Also, I found that it's best to hold the iron (on low) in place for about 10-15 seconds, then remove the iron. Plus, it is most effective when the wood is totally cool. So, if you had a large area that was spotted, you'd need to do one area, then let the wood completely cool before going back and trying it again. I'd definitely try the mayo first , though!!! Here are tips from ThriftyFun.com:

Step 1. Dry the wood if it's a fresh water stain. Wipe off all the water with an absorbent towel and place a paper towel over the water stain for a few hours to absorb extra moisture from the wood. This trick works only if the water stain is caught immediately.

Step 2. Open your pantry and dig out that mayonnaise. Spoon a generous amount onto the water stain and rub it in with a paper towel. Allow the mayonnaise to remain on the stain for several hours or overnight. In the morning, wipe off the excess mayonnaise. Use a paper towel and rub the remaining mayonnaise into the wood. The water stain will be gone. Add ashes to the mayonnaise when applying it to the water stain. It increases the mayo's effectiveness.

Step 3. Use a combination of non-gel white toothpaste with baking soda in equal amounts on highly finished wood. Make a paste and apply the mixture on a clean white cloth. Apply in a circular motion to the water stain to gently buff out the stain. Wipe the mixture off the wood and apply furniture polish. This method should only be used on highly finished wood.

Step 4. Place a lint free cloth on the water stain; thick linen dish towel. Carefully put a hot iron on top of the cloth for a few seconds only and remove. Repeat until the water stain is removed from the wood.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Need everyones expert advice! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page