Author Book Ideas: Previous Topic Self-sufficiency Book Next Topic  

highlandviewpantry
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

WV
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2010 :  11:44:41 AM  Show Profile
I think a self-suffiency book would be great. We have our own chickens and cows but we still depend on the local feed store,etc. Deyond farming too - cooking from scratch, sewing clothes, knitting, weaving, etc.. How about ideas to really do it all on your own -as much as possible.

www.thehighlandviewpantry.blogspot.com

RueAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

58 Posts

Tracy
Brook Park OH
USA
58 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2010 :  3:38:45 PM  Show Profile
That is a wonderful idea!

Rue Ann
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2010 :  07:20:22 AM  Show Profile
Self-sufficiency is great, but remember that does not mean isolation. Unfortunately, you can't do it all. Even hermits have to come to town because they don't know how to smelt ore to make tools. I think the road to self-sufficiency includes doing, or at least knowing how to do, as much as you can, but having a network (ie community) that supports other skills. There will just be some thing you must buy from someone else. This computer for one. I really admired those people that moved west with very little and made a go of it. They also lived very simple lives.

Sorry if this sounds mean, not what I am trying to do, just remind us that we do live and need each other. Like horses needing the herd, ok maybe I could do without the rude sales clerk, but you get my point.

Congrats on doing so much. The basic skills are what make the world go round and not enough people now those anymore.

Laurie

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

Colleen Easlon
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

Colleen
Port Orford OR
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2010 :  12:43:06 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like a great idea. I've been doing research for a few years now, thank goodness for internet. I try to print out everything, unless I can surely remember it. The only thing is...you would have one very large book. I have thousands of pages from things like making candles, to making water wheels, the use of medicinal herbs, wagon train cooking recipes, how to make alcohol, coal, paper etc. etc. It has been a fascinating & fun hobby, but very time consuming. Would love to share ideas with you, or maybe I can even answer some questions you might have. Good luck, and if you write this book, I will definitely buy it. =)
cmbcowgirl@hotmail.com
Colleen
Go to Top of Page

highlandviewpantry
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

WV
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  1:38:00 PM  Show Profile
It seems like the more knowledge and skills one develops the less scary lifes emergencies become. It is so nice when something breaks to know how to fix it and to be able to supply for your loved ones from your own land and work. It is a very satisfying experience.

Go to Top of Page

Lady Woodworker
True Blue Farmgirl

259 Posts

Karen
Chamberlain Maine
USA
259 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  2:53:36 PM  Show Profile
Yes,
All good ideas here.

One of my favorite things is trading (bartering) handmade goods for goods or services. For me, it is so much more fulfilling than making a sale (although I don't remember ever saying no to cash). Still, bartering brings me closer to the person with whom I am trading. Having some discussion on bartering might be good to include in a book like this one. It addresses the very important concern that Laurie brought up--it reduces isolation--while lowering our dependence on money.

Keep us posted and, if you go ahead with this and you need an editor, I'll do my best to make myself available for the project (I work as a writer, editor and sometimes-photographer for a how-to magazine). I'd help you in any way I can.

Best,

Karen

Farmgirl Sister # 2419
Go to Top of Page

Lady Woodworker
True Blue Farmgirl

259 Posts

Karen
Chamberlain Maine
USA
259 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  2:56:17 PM  Show Profile
Oh wow,
I just made my 50th post!
I just went from being a "Farmgirl in Training" to being a "True Blue Farmgirl."

Yeehaw!

Karen

Farmgirl Sister # 2419
Go to Top of Page

sue5901
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Sue
Wellingborough
United Kingdom
122 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  01:46:10 AM  Show Profile
I think this is a great idea and would want to encourage anyone who would be brave enough to tackle such a massive subject, it has been a fantasy of mine to do this - but deep down i know my personality is not suited to such a long-term project.

There are a number of books already on this subject, the three best known are
The Complete Book of Self-sufficiency - John Seymour
The Encyclopedia of Country Living - Emery
Storey's Basic Country Skills

The main problem with this type of book is that even though these three are very hefty books they still only touch on each subject and miss some things - such as bartering out completely. There is simply so much to cover that each subject can only be covered briefly and anyone seriously interested would probably need books on each individual subject that goes into them in much more depth. The above tend to tackle food production and basic skills and don't tend to go into the difficulties and practicalities of self-sufficiency as much.And to be honest these are in many ways a bit dated now and a more up to date version would be really good.

There are also lots of publications based on a survivalist type scenario which whilst might not be exactly what you are thinking of they cover many of the same issues and numerous autobiography type books written by people attempting to live this lifestyle and their experiences. Like some of the other people who have commented I can offer help and ideas if useful

So my word of caution would be that before embarking on such a massive task you make sure you know exactly what is already out there and find your niche or angle - but I feel there is definately room for a more modern version so go for it!!!

Dance like nobody's watching!
Go to Top of Page

Lil Lady
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Renee
Waynesburg Ohio
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  06:10:06 AM  Show Profile
It might be interesting if you add some history to all the useful ideas and draw in the people who love history. That might put a different spin on it! I would also love photos.......but that's just me!

Blessings to all!
Go to Top of Page

Lil Lady
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Renee
Waynesburg Ohio
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  06:11:55 AM  Show Profile
My lifelong dream is to publish a photo book of barns.......don't know why but I am fascinated by them......hope - hope...

Blessings to all!
Go to Top of Page

Littleredd
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Patty
Norwich NY
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  9:42:23 PM  Show Profile
What I keep telling myself is though we call it 'self-sufficiency' it's actually just the way people lived way back when. I prefer to think of it as me and my husband shedding the years, going back in time and yes, knowing how to do as much as we can on our own. He is a carpenter, painter, mid-grade plumber, milner, decent automotive mechanic, and he can build just about anything. I knit, crochet, spin wool, dye with plants, sew, weave, paint, bake, make cheese, butter and soap, preserve by canning, and I'm learning more every chance I get. This month I hope to learn woodcarving so I can decorate some of the beautiful furniture my husband makes - we hope to use it to sell or barter for the things we need. The more you know and the more you can do for yourself, the more you can offer others.
Patty

~`~`~`~`~`
A little red, attempting to be The Fearless Farmgirl
www.fearlessfarmgirl.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Stimalano
Go to Top of Page

OneHippieChick
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Susan
Huntsville AL
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  02:04:15 AM  Show Profile  Send OneHippieChick a Yahoo! Message
The Foxfire series of books seems to have just about everything!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Susan ~ Farmgirl Sister #1978
Fiber artist, spins, knits, crochets, sews, weaves, quilts, soap maker, as well as various beauty products and some natural cosmetics
Working on getting my Etsy website and blog up and running - stay tuned!
Go to Top of Page

LucyLobo511
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Mari-lyn
Capron IL
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  06:15:26 AM  Show Profile
Oh this is so how I feel I really dont like depending on someone else to fulfill my basic needs. My focus has been on Food and making more then buying or at least when I do buy I buy from the little guy I try to stay away from big box stores as much as possible and when I do shop I try and buy stuff made in the USA and not from the top name brands smaller companies are my choice. My kids have allergies to alot of foods so doing it myself really helps them. My eggs come from a local farm I tried chickens but the village changed the rules on me. My daughter and I are working on making all our own clothes. I gather all my ideas from different books because nothing is a tell all. So start compiling and Go for it girl.

Insane and Blissfully Happy
Go to Top of Page

Breanna
True Blue Farmgirl

208 Posts

Breanna
Parker Colorado
USA
208 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  1:54:30 PM  Show Profile
The Backyard Homestead is a wonderful book on how to "produce all the food you need on just a quarter acre." The author is Carleen Madigan. My dad bought it for our family at a local garden center. I can't wait to dig deeper into it!

~Breanna

Farmgirl Bre
"...that my glory may sing praise to you and not be silent, O Lord my God, I will give thanks to You forever." Psalm 30:12
Go to Top of Page

Judyr808
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Judy
Hood River Oregon
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  8:41:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Judyr808 a Yahoo! Message
I have enjoyed reading all the above posts. I'm new at this and this is my first try. I have researched many of the areas talked about and agree there is a ton of information needed and that is a ton of information out there. We have gotten so used to going to the store for all our needs it would be very hard for most people to truely live like our forefathers did, but I believe every thing we can do for our selves the better. I'm a grandmother farmgirl from way back and would love sharing what I know with the "younger" generation.
Thank you farmgirl sisters for this connection to like minded women.
Judy

Love & Light
Go to Top of Page

diamondskylucy
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Lisa
Goshen Ohio
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2011 :  01:38:38 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Breanna! We also have the Backyard Homestead and it's a really wonderful and concise book for how to set up your own homestead on even as little land as a quarter of an acre. My family and I have been using that book as a resource, and step by step we're making our way to a truly edible landscape. I think the first step to self-sufficiency is learning how to successfully grow your own food. There are few things in life more satisfying than starting something from a tiny seed only to watch it grow, produce fruit, and be nourished by it.
Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2011 :  07:48:53 AM  Show Profile
Just read your blog and loved it ..

Live to leave a legacy

Go to Top of Page

jackie v
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

jackie
easthampton ma
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  10:13:54 AM  Show Profile  Send jackie v a Yahoo! Message
Little Red how do you do it with a day job? When I get home from work I'm lucky if I have the energy to do 1/4 what you get done!!!
Go to Top of Page

Brenda Isom
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Brenda
San jose ca
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2011 :  12:30:51 PM  Show Profile
I cook from scratch, but I have so much to learn to have my farm girl dreams. I am trying to find the best place to buy fertile land to get started on my farm girl dreams. Any suggestions?
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2011 :  04:56:50 AM  Show Profile
I have checked out your blog-that's really awesome! I've bookmarked it for future use! DH and I live WAY out in the middle of nowhere, so we're always trying to be more self-sufficient! :)

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

highlandviewpantry
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

WV
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2011 :  07:56:03 AM  Show Profile
I didn't realize how much this thread had taken off. I would love to write a book on self-sufficiency skills. But, it would have to be a huge book. There are a lot of great books out there on the topic. In my opinion, as technology increases, there seems to be a desire to reconnect with basic skills. Ironically, a lot of what I have learned about self-sufficiency has been from the internet. My parent's generation was not really a back to basics generation. However, my grandparent's generation was - The Great Depression made sure of that. My grandparents had passed away before I was old enough to learn a lot from them. Except for my maternal grandmother who passed away last year. Growing up she taught me to cook, iron, plant a garden and drive a car. However, the internet has been a great resource.

Go to Top of Page

CountryGirl2
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Trisha
Longview Washington
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2011 :  02:19:05 AM  Show Profile
I think this is a wonderful idea. I enjoy reading self-sufficiency books and have Storey's Basic Country Skills ~ Trisha ~ Farmgirl Sister #2982
Go to Top of Page

Lorraine Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

lorraine
salt point ny
USA
158 Posts

Posted - May 20 2011 :  07:56:34 AM  Show Profile
This is a great idear! the more you can do on your own the better!and what ever you can't do trade/swap with someone who can!
LorraineMichelle
farmgirl #3007

Chickens are like potato chips...
You can't have just one!
Go to Top of Page

montanafarmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Vickie Harrell
Bigfork Montana
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2011 :  07:21:22 AM  Show Profile
It is so rewarding doing all that you can to be as self sufficient as you can. My grandmother did grow up in the depression. And she made sure we all knew that you can't deppend on anyone or anything but yourself. You do still have to go into town for supplies..but the more you can learn to do..... the more you learn to do without !

Farmgirl Blessings
Farmgirl # 2554
Vickie
Go to Top of Page
  Book Ideas: Previous Topic Self-sufficiency Book Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page