Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 Four arguments for the elimination of Television
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Four arguments for the elimination of Television Next Topic  

farmgrlchick
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Theresa
Columbus Montana
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  07:39:13 AM  Show Profile
by Jerry Mander

http://www.amazon.com/gp/sitbv3/reader/ref=sib_dp_pt/102-2511902-1673733?%5Fencoding=UTF8&asin=068808274

Ok Don't hate me, but this is one of the most informative books ever.

Farmgirl Blessings,
Theresa
http://theresaslavenderbox.blogspot.com/

Edited by - farmgrlchick on Oct 16 2006 11:37:15 AM

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  09:40:00 AM  Show Profile
I believe this book was run as a series in Mother Earth News Magazine some years ago. It can be read online in their archives.

Di

http://www.daisyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  10:06:14 AM  Show Profile
Theresa-
There are banes and blessings in everything- even TV. It is just up to us to be wise in our choices and not be led by the crowd. It sounds like you have things well under control!!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  10:07:05 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Theresa, I haven't read the book but will take a peek at in via the Mother Earth News archives as Diane suggests. Although I don't have any kids of my own, I am way out of touch with TV. There was a time in my late 20s/early 30s where I was at college (late bloomer) and taking night classes or studying so I didn't watch hardly any TV. Then I got real involved with church - was Youth Minister, etc. and had evening meetings, etc., so again, not much time. There have been very few shows in the past 20 years I could tell you about. Some I have seen, but in reruns during my "dinner hour" now that I look at. And now, I have sooo much going on, trying to get my little urban farm in order, and doing my crafts and walking my dogs...I don't have any real "must-see" tv, especially now that West Wing is over. So I applaud your decision to limit television. There is so much more out there in the world. TV has its place, and I do turn it on, but I only have limited cable (about 20 channels) so I don't have much incentive to just sit and stare. Sometimes I wish I did cause I could get more crocheting or knitting done! *grin* Take care, Judy

The Rooster crows, but the Hen lays the egg. ~ Texas Proverb
Go to Top of Page

Destiny~
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Dar
west TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  11:42:26 AM  Show Profile
I think 'all things in moderation'. I too grew up not able to afford cable tv and mom wouldn't have let us watch it anyways, in the summer.
We were to be outdoors, and I wouldn't trade that for anything.
But, now that I can afford cable, I find it very informational. I've learned tons from HGTV since I'm an avid do-it-yourselfer. I've also learned some really good tricks for improving my cooking, ok that still has a long ways to go. Hubby and I like the old movies channel, clean entertainment. Not to mention many of the others, like gardening.
The trick is not to let it take over you life. I usually do all my yard work, housework, etc first and then watch an hour or two. There are some days I don't turn it on at all. Moderation.

"Let us, together, sow seeds for a better harvest-a harvest for hope."
Jane Goodall, Harvest for Hope
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  12:17:31 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Theresa,

I have not read the book, so I can't speak one way or the other about it, but if I read the rest of your post right, I can imagine what it might be suggesting. Speaking from personal experience, I can vouche for the positive effects of not having a television. Here's what we found out in our own family.

This has been many years ago when our kids - 4 of them - were in grade school, they are now all grown and living on their own (2 are married). I was a single parent at the time so money was tight. The television we had at the time (a small 13" Black & White) broke. I certainly did not have the money or even the desire to fix it. It was no big deal, that's just the way it was. If we could find one at a yard sale, then maybe we would get one. The kids were not upset and were able to understand the situation and I'm so thankful.

They quickly developed very active imaginations - oh, my goodness were they ever active. We also had the kinds of toys that they had to make work, blocks, legos, micromachine cars, dolls, coloring books and art supplies and lots of reading books. Our middle son would have 5 books on his bed at one time that he was reading. We always read before going to bed or when we would have quiet time. And, of course, they played outside quite a lot and made up their own games - even their own board games. At Christmas one year while we still did not have the TV, they all made their own gifts from stuff we had around the house. That was the best Christmas I think they had, from my observations. They had fun trying to keep it secret all the while trying to decide what they had to work with for their gifts. I got so tickled at them.

This went on for a year and a half. I never noticed the true impact it had on them until one day a teacher stopped me and asked if we had a television. I thought this was odd, so naturally had to ask her why she wanted to know. She had been observing that the kids were doing better in school than the other children, their concentration levels were higher, they could comprehend their reading materials, and they were very creative. It never occured to me at that time that it made all that much of a difference, that's just how it was at the time, but evidently it did and I never regretted not finding one at a yardsale. They were having as much fun and apparently doing quite well without it.

I say all this not to blast television, because we do have one and watch our favorite shows, but to say that it is possible to live without it and that it can have a very positive impact on your lives. We usually give up TV for the 6 weeks of Lent and it's really not that bad and I am really able to get so much more done. When I realize the amount of time we spend in front of that thing now, it kills me. I'm so thankful we do not have cable, sattelite or any of those other things that bring a bazillion channels into our home. We have local channels and that's enough.

I am so proud that early on this was part of their formitable years and helped lay a strong foundation for them to build on. Not that this had a direct effect on their career choices, but I can't help but think in the grand scheme of things God knew exactly how this would be a blessing in the end. We have 2 art teachers, a chef and our daughter will have a degree in family development.

So if you have the chance and want to put it to the test, I think you will be pleased with how much more fun you will have together as a family. And isn't that what we try to be all about as farmgirls and our situation allows? Raising our food and raising our families; both near and dear to our hearts and valuable to our lives? Good luck with your experiments, if you give it a try and if you already have removed it - then good for you, you already know what I'm talking about. :o)

Blessings to you all in all that you do to keep the spirit of being a farmgirl alive and well.

In His hands,
Lynda L.

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
www.pamperedchef.biz/lorenzfamilycooks

Edited by - FarrarFarmgirl on Jun 14 2006 12:20:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  12:59:30 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I grew up in a family that had cable and tons of video games and I still read and did art and learned all kinds of stuff got full ride scholarships to collage and university ( yes I said full scholarships plural I had so many scholarships that I paid for 1 half of my husbands tuition from them and all his school books too) it is up to the child what they will and will not do. When the tv is on I always have some sort of hand work in my hands and even as a child I would draw while watching ( listening ) to tv. My children watch tv pbs is the only thing aloud (plus what ever videos we own about 400 that are family oriented and not violent)as I do not like violent child shows. ( I can't stand sponge bob not many morals taught on that show) ( saw it at a cousions house who has cable). My kids play games and read are in the top three kids in there classes ( 30 children in one kids class and 60 in the other, third child not in school yet) I have a cupboard full of art supplies they can use when ever they want some can crochet my 8 year old at 6 years old made a twin size quilt to fit her bed that she hand quilted. So if you had issues with watching to much tv in all honesty that is not the tv's fault it is yours it does not turn itself on you do. This is not ment to be an attack but objects are just that objects they do not act upon us we act upon them. The tv was originally created by philo t farnsworth ( not sure of spelling) as a tool to further peoples education of the world around them (this is true for the internet too)and to connect them to the world through news and educational shows it does that it's original purposse is still there it is just how people use or abuse it. All things are good and bad depending on how you use them. If people have bad christmas's or bad grades that is not the tv's fault that is a faulty priority issue in your own lives. I am not an avid tv watcher myself I like the news and educational shows on pbs when I did have cable as a teenager I liked discovery channel , hgtv, the learning channel and things like that. People learn and do as they see fit with or with out a tv some people would still learn. Some people with or with out the tv would still be a bump on a log. Take responsibility for your own actions and don't blame them on an object. Sorry if this sounds harsh I have never understood blame transfer and probably never will nore do I want to it is a bad enabling devise to transfer ones guilt to others and blam them for all your own faults.

have a lovely day

Edited by - sunshine on Jun 14 2006 1:29:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  1:05:55 PM  Show Profile
I am not a big tv watcher myself and I really really limit what the kids watch. We don't have cable..so we only get limited channels and they arn't real clear sometimes...oh well. I would love to not have one at all..but I have a husband who would freak out. (he IS a big tv watcher) He tends to watch tv in the bedroom in the evening while the kids and I do what I consider more productive stuff...although we have been known to watch American Idol..the kids loved that. I guess my main thing is that I don't want us to schedule our real life around tv shows and like that...but we do watch it ...moderation I guess is the key..and we are big on doing some handwork or something while watching..like Sunshine said. When the kids are grown I hope to only have the tv in the bedroom for Steve and maybe I could have a quiet family room. heehee
I tend to like old shows better than new ones, but would really miss Christmas shows and like that if I didn't have tv I guess. We tend to watch videos more often than regular tv.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

FlipFlopFarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Carla
Molalla Oregon
198 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  2:13:59 PM  Show Profile
On the link that's in your post, it just takes me to amazon that says that the book isn't in stock. What's the name of the book?

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  8:20:42 PM  Show Profile
This is just a personal anecdote about TV - I agree that everything in moderation (OK, ALMOST everything) can be alright, but here's how the TV thing is working for us...

I have been doing a non-television experiment at our house now for coming up on nine years. When I first moved from the "city" to the "country," I didn't own a television - I had lived either at home, with a TV, but no cable or anything, or with rooommates that owned TVs - I watched it every so often, but didn't need to buy one of my own - there was always one in the house. SOooo.....

We moved to the country and didn't get a TV. My husband thought that this was very weird, but didn't go out and get one, either, so we just sort of got used to doing different things, and life seems so busy I don't know when I'd have time to watch it. The interesting thing to me that has developed is that when I am in a place that DOES have a TV on - restaurant, home, or anywhere, really - I find that I am absolutely glued to it. It's like it has some sort of magnetic power over my eyes - I can hardly hold a conversation without glancing every few seconds at the TV.

My little boy, on the other hand, having never had a TV, can take it or leave it. When he visits his grandparents, they sometimes have cartoons on for him, and he'll watch them for a while, then go and do something else without seeming "glued" to it at all. He's just not used to it. His attention span is very long, I think, for a 3-year-old, and he loves books. It's so hard to say what role, if any, not having a TV has played in this, but I think it does have something to do with attention. Instead of having things flashing rapidly in front of him, for his whole life, his world has moved at a human and "farmy" pace - one that his little mind can keep up with.

That being said, I am sort of a sucker for a good movie, and would watch "Out of Africa" anytime, anyplace!!!

It's all so interesting, isn't it?

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2006 :  11:00:20 PM  Show Profile
I realized tonight that the kids and I never turned the tv on all day. THAT was a good day. Busy with chores and fun.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Destiny~
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Dar
west TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2006 :  06:16:30 AM  Show Profile
Ironically, I get less done if I'm reading a good book then if I'm watching TV. I find the reading to be my addiction.

"Let us, together, sow seeds for a better harvest-a harvest for hope."
Jane Goodall, Harvest for Hope
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2006 :  06:48:59 AM  Show Profile
my lifestyle, i find, is to be as wise as i can in making choices about everything in life ..including new fangled-things like TV's (and oh so much more) .. i no longer have small children in the home .. but my girls grew up on 'bits and bobs' of TV (as did i) .. but also had interests in many other areas .. the TV never became the 'master' or 'monster' .. i have found that there is a 'time and place' for all things enjoyable in our lives .. and yep! that would include TV. xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie

My KENTUCKY RAMBLINGS 'blog':
http://cabincreekfarm-kentucky.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2006 :  07:58:18 AM  Show Profile
I think in 20 years we're going to be saying, "We don't turn on the computer in our house because we'd spend too much time on it." My mother's parents thought kids spent too much time listening to the radio. All things in moderation.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

Meg
Moderator/Farmgirl True

974 Posts

Meg
Idaho
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2006 :  4:35:37 PM  Show Profile
Probably very true, Robin. I agree, all things in moderation.

I grew up without any tv and am so thankful for that experience. My brother and I read profusely, spent hours and hours outdoors and kept ourselves very entertained. My husband and his brother were both raised with tv in their lives.

I'd say we all turned out just fine. And we've even come up with a great solution in our house! Our cable company even has a program for it, with no set up fees. We have cable through the winter months, we turn it on the week of the world series and off after Gonzaga University loses during March Madness. Then we enjoy a tv free household during the summer months. We have found we both look forward to each! Seems so normal for us!

MaryJane's daughter,

Meg
megan@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2006 :  4:43:11 PM  Show Profile
There have been more times in my life when I didn't have TV than when I did and I liked that much better. We lived in two places in a row where we had free cable (by accident - and even the cable people couldn't figure out how we were getting it). But then we moved again and never turned it on.

My dear one complained about how our kids can spend the whole day watching TV or videos (when they were younger) so I said - then let's get rid of it. He never did!

Anyway, what I want to hear 4 arguments about is in favor of the elimination of the computer.....he can spend all day, I mean, ALL DAY, surfing.

http://www.rabbithorns.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Four arguments for the elimination of Television Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page