Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Favorite Muffin Receipes? Next Topic  

santa_gertrudis_gal
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Kim
Groesbeck Texas
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2006 :  3:23:50 PM  Show Profile  Send santa_gertrudis_gal a Yahoo! Message
I thought this would be fun? It seems muffins have made a huge comeback in urban centers. Walk in any coffee shop and you'll see muffins. So I'd love to add to my receipes.

Time to give out your favorite muffin receipe.

Mine will be posted tomorrow. Yet if you read the Favorite Cookbooks post of mine today you know I have Muffin Mania. Search the web, didn't find the book, but did find my favorite banana muffin receipe on this webpage:

http://www.georgealexanderhouse.com/muffinmania.htm

Kim

Heaven is a day at the ranch with my Santa Gertrudis!

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2006 :  7:35:28 PM  Show Profile
This is actually a recipe for a sweet bread, but it is my new favorite and I'm sure you could pour it into muffin tins, adjust the cooking time and enjoy. I think it is the pineapple that really puts it over the top. It is especially good topped with some cream cheese. I can't wait until my zuchinni comes in!! It's so good I'm going to try their other recipes too.

http://www.horizonorganic.com/kitchen/bread_zucchini.html

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." -E. B. White

http://www.betweenthecities.com/blog/ljr/
Go to Top of Page

shellybien0319
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

NM
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2006 :  4:58:23 PM  Show Profile
My favorite recipe is one that, unfortunately, don't make often enough. My auntie and I call them Poop Muffins. I know, it sounds attrocious, but they are excelent! They are bran muffins made with raisins (though, I abhor raisins, so I use Craisins) But I think only fresh out of the oven, with butter spread on. I don't know for sure where the recipe is at the moment, but as soon as I find it, I'll post it for you girls to try. I got the recipe from my Auntie.
My favorite muffin of all time, though is the apple bran muffin from the Cracker Barrel. Especially hot and with lots of butter!!!

Edited by - shellybien0319 on Jun 15 2006 4:59:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

santa_gertrudis_gal
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Kim
Groesbeck Texas
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  07:42:50 AM  Show Profile  Send santa_gertrudis_gal a Yahoo! Message
My Favorite muffin receipe

Apple Muffins

1/4 cup butter
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon Mexican Vanilla
1 egg, beaten
1 cup all-purpose flour (can substitute wheat flour)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 1/2 cups chopped apples
1 tablespoon cream

Cream shortening and sugar. Add vanilla and beaten egg. Stir together dry ingredients and add, stirring just to moisten. Add apples and cream gently. Fill greased muffin cups. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. Test for being done by inserting toothpick, done if comes out clean. Makes 6 large muffins.

Enjoy, they don't last long in this house.

Kim

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2006 :  08:24:29 AM  Show Profile
Your apple muffins sound wonderful!! Here are my favorites - Cinnamon Puffins. Totally decadent and fattening. You can either eat them or string them together and wear them around your hips - because that is where they are going to end up anyway! Happy eating!

Karin

Cinnamon Puffins

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

1 1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground nutmeg, divided
1/3 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup milk

1/2 cup melted butter
1 tsp cinnamon

Combine flour, baking powder, salt and 1/2 tsp nutmeg in a bowl.
In another bowl, cream together shortening, 1/2 cup sugar, egg and vanilla until light and fluffy.
Combine dry ingredients with the wet and stir in 1/2 cup milk until smooth.
Spoon into muffin tins 2/3 full and bake for 18- 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Melt 1/2 cup butter in a pan.
In a bowl, mix together 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 tsp nutmeg and 1 tsp cinnamon.

Dip each warm muffin in butter, then roll in sugar mixture. Serve warm.
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2006 :  7:50:04 PM  Show Profile
Ooh! Those look good. Here's another one for good ol' blueberry muffins, but made vegan and low-fat. We just got a whole flat of blueberries from our CSA tonight, so I guess we'll be eatin' blueberry muffins for a while! (And blueberry smoothies, maybe a pie, straight out of the box...yum!!!)

Catherine

Vegan Blueberry Muffins - from Vegetarian Times Magazine, a long time ago
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp aluminum-free baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup Earth Balance soy margarine
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 1/2 cups soy milk
1 1/2 cups frozen or fresh blueberries
1 Tbsp maple sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly oil standard muffin tin and set aside. Combine flours, baking powder and salt in a large bowl, stir well with a wire whisk. Whisk together soy margarine, maple syrup, and brown sugar in a medium bowl until creamy. Add soy milk. Make a well in the dry ingredients and add liquid mixture. Using rubber spatula, fold dry ingredients into liquid until just thoroughly moistened, do not over mix. Spoon a generous tablespoon of batter into each cup of the muffin tin. Fold blueberries into remaining batter (which will be fairly stiff). Continue filling muffin cups with blueberry batter. Stir together maple sugar and cinnamon, sprinkle on top of each muffin. Bake until toothpick inserted into muffin comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. Remove tin from oven, let rest for 5 minutes. Run table knife around each muffin to loosen and remove muffins from tin to a wire cooling rack.

Per muffin: 193 calories, 4g protein, 5g fat, 34g carbohydrates, 3.2g fiber, 254mg sodium, 10% calcium

Yield: 1 dozen muffins
Go to Top of Page

ShepherdessSarah
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Sarah
Nicholasville KY
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2006 :  3:10:57 PM  Show Profile
I'd love to find a recipe for muffins made using home ground wheat flour. I have some great bread recipes, but nothing for muffins.

Sarah

Black Bridge Farm
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Texas
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Cynthia
Mena Arkansas
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2006 :  9:47:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Cindy Texas an AOL message
Sarah,

I make all my muffins whole wheat and I just substitute the whole wheat flour for whatever kind of flour the recipe calls for. I also do this with my pancakes and most of my cookie recipes. Sometimes I only use half whole wheat flour if I feel like the whole wheat flour is to heavy for the recipe I am making. All these recipes sound great and I am printing them all and I can't wait to try them.

Cindy
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2006 :  11:03:36 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Kim,
Just wanted you to know I looked up Muffin Mania on Amazon and they do have it there now...it is a bit pricy..but it's there!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=br_ss_hs/002-5295205-4077656?platform=gurupa&url=index%3Dstripbooks%3Arelevance-above&keywords=Muffin+Mania

Just in case you or anyone else were looking for one!!
Have enjoyed and printed the recipes here!!! Thank you all!!
Hugz!!

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

santa_gertrudis_gal
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Kim
Groesbeck Texas
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2006 :  10:39:20 AM  Show Profile  Send santa_gertrudis_gal a Yahoo! Message
Ouch, you weren't joking about pricey! No way would I pay that amount. This person is mad, even if it is signed.

Kim

Go to Top of Page

BStein
True Blue Farmgirl

75 Posts

Barbara
Westerville OH
75 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2006 :  6:40:37 PM  Show Profile
Well, these look like some great recipes, girls. Here's my favorite. It's pretty healthy, but the chocolate makes them taste great.

Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup unprocessed bran
1/2 cup wheat germ
pinch salt
1 1/2baking soda
1 t baking powder
1 cup plain yogurt
2 lrg ripe bananas, mashed
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup honey
2 T vegetable oil
1/2 cup mini semi-sweet choc. chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 425. Lightly grease muffin tins or line with papers. In large bowl, combine first six (dry) ingredients. In a medium bowl, combine yogurt, bananas, egg, honey and oil. Mix with dry ingredients. Add chocolate chips and walnuts if desired. Spoon into tins. Bake for 20 minutes.
Barbara
Go to Top of Page

Peg Graham
True Blue Farmgirl

281 Posts

Peg
Chesapeake Virginia
USA
281 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  2:55:59 PM  Show Profile
Banana Pecan Muffins
by Steever House Bed and Breakfast
Makes 12 muffins

Preheat oven to 350.

3 smashed bananas (freeze over ripe bananas. Peel and place in individual baggies in the freezer).
1 C. Sugar
1/2 C. Butter
1 Egg
2 C. Flour
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1/3 tsp. Baking Soda
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
1/2 C. Pecans

Cream butter and sugar, add bananas and egg and beat well.
Sift dry ingredients. Add slowly to the banana mixture until just incorporated. Fold in vanilla and pecans.
Spray coat your muffin tins and these should pop right out.
Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes or until done.

miles of smiles~
Peg

Edited by - Peg Graham on May 22 2007 2:56:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4238 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4238 Posts

Posted - May 23 2007 :  05:28:31 AM  Show Profile
My favorite recipe is from an old old cookbook. You can add whatever fruit you like, I add blueberries

2 cups of flour
4 T sugar
3 T melted shortening, I use oil
1 cup milk
3t baking powder
1 egg

Bake at 425. Sorry I only wrote down the indg. list. Mix as you would any muffin. I made this yesterday morning, they rise so beautifully. simple and good. Michele
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Favorite Muffin Receipes? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page