Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Ideas for rustic/primitive window valance/header
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Ideas for rustic/primitive window valance/header Next Topic  

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2010 :  12:35:56 PM  Show Profile
I recently bought a ton of muslin and made a gathered covering for our front door in our sitting room. From the same fabric I also made a simple one piece gathered curtain for the bottom portion of my two windows. A cafe curtain.

Sooooo, now the tops of my windows are treatmentless - and I'm looking to do something really rustic, primitive, maybe a bit shabby style for across the top. Possibly something outdoorsey. Or maybe I could the following: garland, grapevine, floral stuff. I just want something really different with a real unique style.

My walls are off white, the wood window trim is white, and my couch is a country blue plaid (so I want to stay away from plaids.....or should I?).

Any ideas would be appreciated, or even references to websites. In the meantime I'm going to search through my Country Sampler mags!

Edited by - missusprim on Dec 11 2010 12:46:25 PM

lovingewe
True Blue Farmgirl

212 Posts

marlyn-neleh
norwood Ontario
Canada
212 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2010 :  6:09:29 PM  Show Profile
I just made winter drapes for our Master bedroom and want a valance to match the quilt I made a few years ago.I didn't know what I wanted because I love Victorian style and I find that look too heavy for the area I wanted. While looking I came across this pattern on the net. You could make it yourself with your measurements but I though the idea was neat. A reversible valance. It shows two fabrics.
http://butterick.mccall.com/b5582-products-13471.php?page_id=387

I will be making my own rather then purchasing the pattern.

Marlyn

http://www.heritagefarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2010 :  8:34:05 PM  Show Profile
Cute idea, and I can see incorporating big rustic buttons or jute for the ties to give it a more primitive look. As you say, it wouldn't be too hard to duplicate the look without having to buy the pattern!
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2010 :  06:32:38 AM  Show Profile
What about re-purposing some old feed or coffee sacks. You can find them cheap and could piece them into a valance and fray the bottoms. They fray really nice and make sort of a fringe, especially if they are burlap. I was at a coffe shop that had them for $3.00 each and they were large and printed with vintage looking logos. Here is a picture to inspire you.
http://potatoboutique.blogspot.com/2010/07/coffee-sack-valances.html

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2010 :  10:21:58 AM  Show Profile
My first thought was stenciling a design on the same muslin you are using. You could make it any colors that tie in with your other furnishings and as country as you like.
Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

Valgirl
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Valerie
Hot Springs AR
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2010 :  11:08:32 AM  Show Profile
The first thought that came to my mind were dried herbs, yes dried herbs. I saw a beautiful picture one time of a bunch of herbs hanging as a valance to dry, and it looked super cool. That way you are killing two birds with one stone....you have a valance, and you are drying herbs. Now that is multi-tasking.

Today is the day the Lord has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it.
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2010 :  11:54:02 AM  Show Profile
Someone on the forum made punched tin valances for their windows. I can't remember who and for me on dial-up impossible to use the search feature here. Maybe someone else would know. They were really cute. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2010 :  1:34:26 PM  Show Profile
very simple grapevine with white christmas mini lights would be pretty.....???????

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2010 :  2:12:08 PM  Show Profile
I found the punched tin curtains link http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14739&whichpage=1 JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2010 :  5:54:34 PM  Show Profile
All awesome ideas, you ladies are so creative! I haven't looked through the barn very thoroughly, but I might find some kind of metal out there - even if it's not tin it might do.

Burlap - now THAT'S country. I don't have any feed sacks but maybe I can find some old farm kitchen towels that have that one stripe down the ends in a country blue.

The herbs are also a cute idea, maybe our local Hobby Lobby would have something that I could put on a simple valance?

I got a book from the library once that had the most unique window treatments I've ever seen, and of course, I can't find it to save my life.

I even thought of making a valance that is half the length of the window, tying it in the middle into a knot and embellishing this knot with something primitive/country or whatever.
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2010 :  12:09:14 PM  Show Profile
K, had a light go on! Am thinking of taking several (enough to fill the width with a little bit of gathering)cotton doilies, tea staining them, and running a narrow rod through the bigger holes and TA DA! Also, might even take some rusty bells or rusty stars and hanging them from the points. I can't wait as I'm tired of seeing nothing near the tops of my sitting room windows!
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Ideas for rustic/primitive window valance/header Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page