Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 What gets you into the Christmas spirit?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic What gets you into the Christmas spirit? Next Topic  

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2010 :  1:18:31 PM  Show Profile
I'm trying to get in the mood for Christmas...I live with a Grinch So Andrew is no help! So I have to "carry" the Christmas spirit in our house to get it going. *sigh*
Some thing that I've done in the past to put me in the Christmas spirit are...
Bake cookies
Bake anything
Read heart warming Christmas stories
Shop for a gift for a needy child
Donate food to food banks
Don't laugh!!!!...listen to old surfer music from the 50'and 60' ( long story there ) while I bake
Go see The Nutcracker
Make ornaments and decorations
Listen to classical Christmas music
Buy a Christmas tree
Wrap prezzies
Meditate on the meaning of Christmas
And decorate the house

What puts you in the holiday mood?

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci

jclambert
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Judy
Stringtown Oklahoma
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2010 :  2:20:38 PM  Show Profile
Annika,

Baking and making candy for gift baskets to give to friends. This year, I had my grandson here to help decorate the tree and the house and that helped alot. My husband is a grinch too. Bah, humbug!

Judy

"Courage is when you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what". Atticus Finch - To Kill a Mockingbird
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2010 :  2:30:14 PM  Show Profile
I'm kinda grinchy and so is my hubby. We dread the rush and the inevitable family fight followed by the tears for divorces and passed on family(some gone before either of us were born but we're expected to be sad and talk about them...we never even met them...come on people).

I will say the week long candy/cookie/quick breads makin marathon we go through right before my aunts 'antichristmas' party puts us all in a good mood. Oh and on a sugar rush! Then it's a whole day of talkin about anything but christmas and sad topics while sittin around in our sweat pants and eatin nonstop. I have an uncle with cancer who only comes to this family function so he doesn't have to talk about drs and stuff. My family has the candy assignment. There is also a pie, rolls, side dishes(split between 3 families), drinks, and cookie assignment. My aunt always makes venision stew, so there is no 'christmas' food to eat for the millionth time and no presents allowed.

It's the most relaxing, enjoyable day of the whole season. The dress code is sweats or sleep pants with one cousin who comes in a full on pajama set with the hat and slippers and everything! I love that day!

Wow! Just talkin about it has me smiling and ready to go wrap that pile of presents I've been trippin over in the closet for a week now. Actually, I am gonna do it tonight while I'm in the mood.

Thanks!!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2010 :  2:36:24 PM  Show Profile
What is with our guys? I can't say mine is all too excited about anything but "seeing everyone have a nice time." As long as it does not mean an effort on his part. It seems like a lot of your getting in the mood ideas still leave you alone . . . would you have more fun with a buddy to do those things with ?

Are ya gonna spill the beans about the surfer music? Pretty please?

marianne
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2010 :  2:46:58 PM  Show Profile
Hi Annika! I love Christmas, and I love spreading Christmas cheer and spirit! Some things I like to do are: baking cookies, listening to Christmas music, spending time with family, watching Christmas movies and holiday specials, wearing the cutesy shirts from Target and such, decorating the tree with my Mom, looking at Christmas cards, looking at Christmas trees, and drinking all the warm drinks such as hot cocoa. I love Christmas and everything about it! Next year hopefully I can convince my Mom to get a live tree; this year we were really close this year, but my knee injury prevents me from taking care of anything, let alone a live tree! Again, I definitely share the love for Christmas!
God's and Holiday's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2010 :  04:43:14 AM  Show Profile
Christmas just isn't the same for me since my DD moved to SC. Sometimes they come home for Christmas. Next week I am flying down there on Wednesday and stayting until Monday. I am going down for a big Doctor Appt with her, but the rest of the time we will do Christmasy things like we used to.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2010 :  07:03:26 AM  Show Profile
Diane, I'm praying for your daughter and her big doctors appointment. I hope that things are ok. I'm so glad that you and she will be doing Christmasy things just like old times and keeping the bond between you! So many people any more just don't stay close. I wish you safe travels and good times together =)

Marianne, about that surfer music...
Years ago I had a friend named Jack who owned my favorite little music shop. I love music and we often would just hang out and listen to music together, His wife and I became good friends too =) We would get together, cook good things and laugh until the wee hours ...well, Christmas was special. We would get together and make cookies and listen to his favorite 50's and 60's surfer music =)
... Jack passed away in an auto accident and I miss him =( At Christmas, I still pull out the surfer classics while I make cookies. Some how Christmas baking just isn't the same with out the surfer tunes =)

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2010 :  08:27:51 AM  Show Profile
Decorating the tree and getting out the decorations starts me in the Christmas spirit. I love decorating while listening to Christmas music. I frequently listen to Christmas music while driving to and from work and while about. Then the baking starts. I enjoyed the baking more when the kids were home to help and enjoy it to but its still helps get that Christmasy spirit going. The rush to finish up projects. My oldest son will make it home this year to celebrate before he deploys to Afghanistan so it will be both a blessing to see him but bittersweet that it will be over a year before I see him again. I'm thinking about making some banana bread mini loafs and some cookies and sending to him so he'll get them right before he comes home to get him in the Christmas spirit :O)

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2010 :  7:34:21 PM  Show Profile
I'm sitting here listening to "Delilah" on the radio, on a station that plays Christmas songs all day and all night. I enjoy listening to the sappy stories of the people who call in. I also plan to go to the local animal shelter tomorrow dressed as "Santa Paws" and bring gifts for the cats and dogs. Being with my family does nothing to put me in the Christmas mood. They treat it like just another holiday. Oh, and I like to go to church on Christmas eve, especially since I'm attending a new church this year. And I like to just go out and look at the winter sky. It's always so clear in winter. What's that I see...a tiny sled with eight tiny reindeer....???
Cindy

"There is more to life than increasing its speed". Mahatma Gandhi

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2010 :  9:45:35 PM  Show Profile
A little Christmas music on the radio, a few Christmas lights up in the neighborhood...sprinkle on a little snow, and I'm there! :) Merry Christmas, everyone! - Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2010 :  10:25:41 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
I love making cookies, breads and candies. This year my daughter is coming and we will bake on 3 separate days to lighten the load and start a tradition. My husband is the Grinch for sure. I can't remember a year he didn't ruin some part of Christmas. I love to go to Christmas eve services and it will be at a new church for me to. This church is awesome and it's a Jesus celebration every week.

Blessings and Peace,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

DNA doesn't make us sisters, Love does!

The road to a friends house is never to long!

Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2010 :  02:34:44 AM  Show Profile
Annika,

I am sorry for your loss and hope I didn't add to your sadness by asking you to share. It sounds like beach music will always have a special place in your heart. I hope you can enjoy great memories while you bake again this year.

Fingers crossed and prayers coming your way for happy days and peaceful enjoyment of the holidays . . . for all of us
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2010 :  06:20:15 AM  Show Profile
Oh Marianne, you are fine! It is an old soft sadness now, I'm not hurt in the least. I have way too many good memories. I wouldn't have put it out there if I didn't want to share the tale. I'm truly ok with it. =) I'll be surfin' and bakin' cookies in just a few hours!

I hope that you have a wonderful holiday *hugs*

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2010 :  5:47:34 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for taking the time to reassure me, Annika! "Time is a great healer" is what my mom used to tell me. She was so right, she has been gone four years now . . . not enough "time", yet! Hope your baking was great. We had a lovely snowfall this afternoon and it was perfect for gift-wrapping.

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2010 :  7:09:23 PM  Show Profile
Putting my tree up and listening to christmas music. Baking cookies with my nephews,nieces and children. Some nice cold weather here in Central Florida also helps put me in the holiday mood.
Riding around at night and looking at all the decorations in peoples yards!!

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

SherBear
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Sherri
Mukwonago Wi
USA
77 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2010 :  12:27:13 AM  Show Profile
The past few years the thing that has gotten me into the Christmas spirit is going to my best friends high school for their Madrigal Dinner. She graduated about 8 years ago and still goes back every year. It's a wonderful night complete with a 6 or 7 course meal, Christmas Carols and The Christmas Story told by the 'Queen' and acted out by the court jesters. The night ends with everyone singing Silent Night. Makes me cry every time! Then I'm ready to come home and decorate and bake!
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2010 :  12:38:38 AM  Show Profile
Sherri

That sounds so pretty. It is so cool to have such a special activity to look forward to jumpstart your holidays.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

SherBear
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Sherri
Mukwonago Wi
USA
77 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2010 :  05:48:50 AM  Show Profile
It is beautiful! This year was the first time we took my 10 year old step daughter. We made it a 'Girls Night' and left my hubby at home. She thought it was pretty cool too.
Go to Top of Page

cntrygrl
True Blue Farmgirl

139 Posts

Tommie
Kansas
USA
139 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2010 :  09:31:02 AM  Show Profile
Baking cookies, clusters while listening to Christmas music for sure! Yesterday, after my daily quota of coffee (hehe), we made a double batch of peanut clusters, double batch of no bake cookies, double batch of choc. chip cookies, and a double batch of snickerdoodles. See a theme there!? We're not quite done, but we ran out of steam. We'll do another double batch of choc. chip cookies, family favorite, and a double batch of peanut butter blossoms before Christmas. Lets just say, Christmas could be tomorrow and I'd be fine with it! We make cookie plates to give out to family and friends. I love this because it cuts down on the need for boughten gifts. Homemade gifts are the best!

Merry Christmas
Tommie

~Live~Laugh~Love~

~Dust is a country accent~
Go to Top of Page

MamaRhi
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Rhiannon
Livermore CA
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2010 :  2:48:41 PM  Show Profile
This is my first Christmas as a single mama and I no longer have the fake tree that ex-DH and I used to put up and decorate. And I have limited electricity living off-grid so no Xmas lights to put up...

I'm listening to some rockabilly Christmas music while I sew up some gifts and do some work-sewing. I also bought some "Candy Cane" tea that is really yummy. Baking also helps. Last week I made a wreath out of pine boughs and manzanita that I found walking around my home.

This is also my first Christmas being gluten-free, so all of my baking is experimental. I really, really want some of my family recipe gingerbread cookies. I hear that my mom and aunt are trying out gluten-free versions for me and I'm really excited.

I'm looking forward to visiting my family even more this year than I ever have.

Single Mama living her off-the-grid dream life...
http://www.suomisidhe.etsy.com
http://www.gypsymamarhi.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2010 :  3:03:46 PM  Show Profile
Rhiannon, I'm trying to go gluten free too. Its being fun to try to bake gluten free and still make Christmas treats! Good luck with that! I've founds lots of gluten-free recipes online and MJF has a gluten-free baking mix that I need to try as well. Happy Christmas!!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

Lady Woodworker
True Blue Farmgirl

259 Posts

Karen
Chamberlain Maine
USA
259 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2010 :  7:36:53 PM  Show Profile
What a great topic.

I begin my cookie ritual by getting up around 3 and setting out the butter--and maybe the cream cheese too. Then, I go back to bed until 5 (or 4 if I can't sleep on account of the excitement). I tiptoe downstairs and make a strong 1/2 cup of coffee in my press. I warm a little milk, drop a dollop of honey in the cup (yes, even with coffee) and then sit by the woodstove in my rocker and slowly sip what always feels like just the best cup of coffee in the world.
During this time of reflection, I might pray, thumb through a favorite book, write a few words, mend something, or knit.

Then I get started on my baking.

Once I hear my husband stirring, I quietly play Christmas Carols--usually my favorite music by EmmyLou Harris or John Denver.

That's my morning fun...and it can last all day long.

Around bed time my husband and I read aloud to each other. This was his idea--I think it's great. First, we read Charles Dickens's "A Christmas Carol." Once we complete that--we find ourselves reading just about anything with a Christmas theme.

I love Christmas. Thank you all for sharing your special traditions. I may pick up another one from you!

Karen

Farmgirl Sister # 2419

Edited by - Lady Woodworker on Dec 14 2010 7:40:09 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic What gets you into the Christmas spirit? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page