cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2010 :  12:09:46 PM  Show Profile
Boy I hate to get on here and moan and groan, both of my knees are bad and now having a major foot problem, I need some advice on good shoes, with excellent support, have been wearing Birks, but they just aren't getting it anymore. Any suggestions would be so much appreciated!!!!

live, laugh, love

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2010 :  1:14:12 PM  Show Profile
I used to wear Birks too but went to these when my hip got to giving me trouble as well as tendonitis in my achillies tendon. They have worked out really well for me but aren't the cutest as far as fashion goes. http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/58464?feat=506705-GN2

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2010 :  1:16:42 PM  Show Profile
I was never able to wear birks as a ballerina...they allow too much "spread" of the feet.

I highly recommend Dansko's. As a ballerina (now retired) my feet...well, they just suck, frankly. Arthritis, bunions, spurs, you name it. And I can wear my Dansko's every day, all day and never even realize I have them on. My husband, who is on his feet all day, swears by Keens.

I know there are MANY more out there, but that's just what works for my family and I'm reluctant to switch it up--if it ain't broke, ya know?

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2010 :  2:36:18 PM  Show Profile
I know that Ryka is made for a woman's foot and that Clark's has an incredible reputation.

So sorry you are suffering hope you find some relief!
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Marcia30
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Marcia
Mt. Carmel IL
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2010 :  2:41:02 PM  Show Profile
i have a pair of merrels and they are wonderful. I have knee problem to and my feet hurt from it and wen i wear my merrels they don't hurt.

I am loving my country life all the time!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Lady Woodworker
True Blue Farmgirl

259 Posts

Karen
Chamberlain Maine
USA
259 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2010 :  3:37:50 PM  Show Profile
I wear Merrels too.
They have been life-changing for me.
I had terrible cramping in my calves and a chronically swollen ankle.
Now I can walk and walk and walk...

I hope you find what works for you,

Karen

Farmgirl Sister # 2419
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2010 :  4:09:35 PM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
Find something that has good heels that keep both your hips balanced, has laces up to your ankles and that you can tie. I used to wear sandals like birkenstocks but I have feet problems and I couldn't do it anymore. Now I have to wear good support and ankle support. Another suggestion is looking into walk fit orthotics for your shoes. They worked for me. :)

~~~~
Proud Farmgirl #775

Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2010 :  4:20:26 PM  Show Profile
I have worn Dansko's for many many years but I have not been as happy with the quality in the last couple of years. I now try to buy Sanitas, I think they used to make clogs for Dansko until a few years ago. Their shoes seem to me to be just a little narrower and just a tiny bit longer then Dansko. I also have a couple pairs of Wolky shoes that I find very comfortable. I have problems with one of my feet and I wear such a large size its hard to find shoes that fit. When you figure out what you like, Sierra Trading Post usually has good prices.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2010 :  6:07:53 PM  Show Profile
Suzie, my Mom wears Danskos, and she absolutely loves them. She's an on-call nurse, so sometimes she is out for very long periods of time, and she never complains about sore feet. Also, if there is a Walking Company Store near you, have them help you find a good supportive shoe. It may cost a little more than the average shoe, but it will mean comfort for you in the long run.
God's and Holiday's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

Twinsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

116 Posts

Debbie
Wyoming
USA
116 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2010 :  02:16:50 AM  Show Profile
I wear Dansko's and have loved them. I now need more support in my ankles. Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Twinsmom
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4741 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4741 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2010 :  07:05:25 AM  Show Profile
I'm so glad this thread has started. I'm having a tough time with my feet as well. They were never great and now at 50 they are really causing my grief.

I can't wait to look up these suggestions on the web and see if I can find something that will work for me too. Good luck to everyone finding the right pair for your feet.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2010 :  2:07:55 PM  Show Profile
WOW, perfect timing. I was just asking this same question to several folks because I found my Merills are killing my feet and legs. I love my Keens but can not need to find a pair that works for winter too. I tried the Dansko's but I have such a narrow heal I had trouble walking in them without flipping out of them. I stand in my fiber work room for 10 or more hours a day on concret and just find I am felling my age and all my injuries (broke the right ankle three times in the same place and it howls when winter is coming) that have happened to this body. I will look into the other suggestions and thanks for asking the question -- great timing.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

cheneygal
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Suzie
Cheney Wa.
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2010 :  7:51:03 PM  Show Profile
So glad this could benenfit some of you farmgirl sisters.....and I thank each one of you for your suggestions.....next day off it's shoe shopping!!! It is the pits when your feet hurt and you stand on concrete all day isn't it??!!

live, laugh, love
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2010 :  03:23:07 AM  Show Profile
Birkenstock has a soft footbed. So if you still have your old birks, you can send them in and just have them re-foot-bedded/re-conditioned

I got this in both my old pairs and it's like walking in air now!

Barring that, as the other gals have said, Dansko, Clarks, and my new favorites, Born. They are all expensive, but so worth your foot comfort
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2010 :  06:02:12 AM  Show Profile
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Crocs. I'm retired from a profession where I was on my feet all day every day. My feet were at the point where I was having shots put directly into my heels - yikes. All the shoes mentioned are great, as are sofft and soft spots, but my podiatrist recommended that I wear Crocs as often as possible. They are UGLY but I wear them as my house shoes. If I'm in my house, they're on my feet. They have literally saved my feet. No more podiatrist - no more shots.
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2010 :  06:04:06 AM  Show Profile
Oh I forgot - he said they need to be real namebrand Crocs - not imitation ones. The density of the foam is different. I recommended these to one of my friends who is a retired school teacher and really suffering from leg/foot problems. Her problems are greatly improved.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Good advice for good shoes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page