Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Hostage situation at local school-Update!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Hostage situation at local school-Update! Next Topic  

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3322 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3322 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2010 :  8:35:55 PM  Show Profile
The young man died from his gunshot wounds a few minutes ago.

Long, long evening here. A student at a local school about 10-minutes from here just across the bridge, held 23 fellow classmates and his teacher hostage at the Marinette High School in Marinette, Wi. We first heard about it around 4:00-DD was text messaged then it was announced on TV. We were anxiously following the story throughout the evening. Later tonight he released 5 students and then a short time after that several police officers breached the classroom door after hearing gun-shots. He then turned one of the two handguns he had in his possession on himself. He is now at our local Bay Area Hospital-I don't know what the status is.

My DD knew the female teacher in the classroom and she has many friends who attend Marinette High School. She is petrified that a copycat scenerio will take place at our high school in Menominee, Mi.

This student was above average, popular, and never in trouble.

We are grateful that the students are all okay but I feel a deep troubled sadness at the desperation this young boy must have felt to do such a thing.

What is happening to our youth?

Please pray for this young man and his family.

Melody
Farmgirl #525

Edited by - melody on Nov 30 2010 09:02:15 AM

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2010 :  05:42:37 AM  Show Profile
Melody,

I followed this story on MSN and was so happy to see that the students had been released. So far, all they are reporting is that the young man was shot. Thanks for you update. I do pray that he makes it. We need to understand what drives these (mostly) young men to take over these schools. America is just falling to pieces and while we defend others rights around the world our problems are growing. I know that is a very simplistic view but sometimes I think we need to help ourselves first.

What a sad day for us all and a particularly frightening one for your community. Who can blame your daughter for being scared? Best wishes and many prayers for us all.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2010 :  05:44:10 AM  Show Profile
Praying for the young man and everyone that was involved. Also praying for your DD. What is up with these young people nowdays??? It is realy scarey to have children in the school systems nowdays.

Blessings,
Tina Hale
Farmgirl #455
Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2010 :  05:48:42 AM  Show Profile
Prayers from me too for all involved...thanks Melody. I had not even heard this yet.

We can do no great things; only small things with great love - Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927

Master Food Preserver
Go to Top of Page

Mommyswanson
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Laura
Waukegan IL
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2010 :  05:50:36 AM  Show Profile
It is a sad & scary story. Praying for all involved.

Laura

"That which does not kill us makes us strong!" "I cast all my cares upon you Lord."
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2010 :  09:12:16 AM  Show Profile
I'm praying for everyone, too, Melody. I haven't heard anything about this yet, either, but I haven't had the news on in days. Will head to the tv momentarily. Extra prayers are being sent out for your family - especially your daughter - to receive peace, too! My sister lived not too far from Columbine when that horror took place, so I can truly imagine what this must be doing to your hearts and minds. This is so, so sad. Warm hugs - Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2010 :  09:14:36 AM  Show Profile
Very scary and sad...was it a sense or power? a sense of desperation? How very, very sad that he has died of his wounds =(

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2010 :  12:46:49 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Melody - I just read about the incident and watched the student's interview from the Early Show about what happened. I just cried. It doesn't seem to make any sense at all. The students, his friends in the classroom, handled it so well, engaging him in conversation about everyday things that interested him. They even had him laughing - they were laughing together! No warning signs, nothing to help make sense of this. No note to explain. There was no harm meant to the others...they just could tell he was depressed; so the kids just talked, God love them. And now this child has senselessly perished at his own hands. I can't believe it. I'm just so devastated for everyone, especially for the students and for this boy's loved ones. We really must pray for him, for all of them. This is just so senseless. I watched the young man's face on the screen and listened to his account of what happened, and he could easily have been any one of my son's friends - or my own son for that matter. It just makes you want to hug 'em and hold 'em close and love 'em and just remind them over and over and over how precious and important they are, and that absolutely nothing in this life is insurmountable. Like all of you, I want to know how to make sure this doesn't happen in our own lives. The article I read said that this boy's family was always involved in their children's lives...like everything seemed so normal and should have never led to anything like this. It's so heartbreaking. I get a knot in my stomach every time my son leaves the house with his friends, and then I just have to remember to let go and let God, because He loves that boy even more than I ever could. Times like this make most of us immediately wonder where God was and why this boy wasn't prevented from taking his own life. But I know God was there, I believe that is how these students and their teacher were able to survive. This boy made a horrifying choice in taking his own life, but I also believe God was right there with him, too, as he battled on in his spiritual war. God is merciful and knew this child was not in his right mind to be able to do this. I believe God embraced him, took his hand, filled his heart with love and peace, and led him home to a new, everlasting life - one without pain, without sadness, without loneliness, without depression, without want, without illness, without agony of separation from love. Such a terrible, terrible decision he made - could he ever have truly realized the depth of the consequence of pulling that trigger? I don't believe it - not for one second. We just have to pray for him, for his soul, because that is all we can do. And we have to pray for all people, because the spiritual war continues amidst a world of lost souls. We must truly learn everything we can from this incident to avoid it from ever happening again. God help us. God help us. God help us. I will continue to pray, Melody. I am sure this is extremely altering to have this happen so close to home. May God bless everyone with peace and wisdom and the strength to move forward. Sending much love and many hugs your way - Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3322 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3322 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2010 :  1:20:21 PM  Show Profile
Nini....What a comfort your words are to me! Thank you for taking the time to post...it is so very much appreciated. We are numb here, just numb. I cried and cried when you said that you believed that God embraced him and took his hand-I think so too Nini.

God bless you dear friend and thank you girls for being with me throughout the day and sending prayers to the Hengel family and the students and for my own dear Nan-

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2010 :  4:39:31 PM  Show Profile
I have been watching this too and crying for that young man and his family. Nini, your words are very comforting and I feel the same way. I pray for our youth daily. I just don't understand what is happening to them. Depression is like a plague nowadays. His classmates showed some real strength. Melody, I will say a little prayer for your DD and her friends. I hope they can find some peace with God's help.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

eggfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

253 Posts

Kristy
Melvern KS
USA
253 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2010 :  9:15:05 PM  Show Profile
Melody...My heart goes out to this family and all those involved with this horrible happening. I know that it reaches far deeper than just those involved. It has touched your like and your familys. It has touched the heart of millions as we have watched it unfold. My heart is saddened but I too believe that God was with this dear boy and I know He is with each of us if we allow Him into our hearts. i pray for all involved and for you my sister. I pray for this community to be touched in a special way. That out of such tragedy there will be something good. As in Columbine,a closer community and response from others around the world to stop things like this from happening yet again. I live in fear for my own son. He is a teacher and loves what he does. He is in a rural community where half the boys in school ride with hunting guns in racks in the back window of their pickup truck. I just have to give my son to the Lord to watch over and protect each day. All we can do as Mothers. We hold their hands for a little while...but their hearts forever!

God be with you and your community !! God bless...
Kristy

"Live like you were dyin'"
Sis #2339
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Hostage situation at local school-Update! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page