Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Meals for Sick, deaths in family and elderly
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Meals for Sick, deaths in family and elderly Next Topic  

BonnieBlue
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

bonnie
amite LA
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2010 :  12:53:53 PM  Show Profile
Our church is in a building project and we are looking ahead for the future with the plans for the kitchen area. We would like to have an extra big freezer for already prepared meals. They would be used for the sick, deaths in a family and for the needy and elderly.

My question is how has something like this helped out with my Farmgirl friends Churchs? Any ideas for the types of food to have already made ahead and in the freezer?

Thanks for any help.
Bonnie

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2010 :  12:58:53 PM  Show Profile
Lasagna, beef stews, and my new favorite submission, the Pioneer Woman (Ree Drummonds) chicken spaghetti. I always make one, then one for the freezer, it's that simple and feeds the masses and is TOO good. We've had several deaths, illnesses and births around us lately, and I've taken that one each time.

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2010 :  09:31:26 AM  Show Profile
Great idea! Our family has a common recipe. "the wedding/funeral/reunion casserole" is really yummy, comforting and feeds a crew. It's made with shell pasta, shredded chicken, mixed veggies, cream of whatever soup and cheeze whiz. Topped with french fried onions. I know...it's not the most healthy dish in the world..but comforting and filling. I've made it in large batches and frozen it in pans for 2 also.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2010 :  09:35:02 AM  Show Profile
That's hilarious, Judith. My mom used to always bring out this pasta salad that my dad and I nicknamed, "The Funeral Salad" which really made her cross :) It was this great linguine salad with cucumber, tomatoes, some italian seasoning, and italian dressing and it fed an army.

Go to Top of Page

BonnieBlue
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

bonnie
amite LA
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2010 :  2:13:26 PM  Show Profile
Just thought I would get this back to the front of chat. Still need some more ideas.
Thanks to the ones that have already sent ideas to me.
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2010 :  8:03:26 PM  Show Profile
My church doesnt do this that I am aware of, but its a great idea. Meat loaf and potatoes or shepherds pie would be great as would chili.
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2010 :  9:08:48 PM  Show Profile
I was just brought a dish by a neighbor while I was sick. It was linguini noodles, ground sausage, cream of mushroom soup, and a very small amount of shredded cheese blended in. It was somewhat bland which was nice on my stomach and was zipped up for my girls with a dollap of sour cream on their plates. Everyone loved it. The lady said you can mix and match with it, any noodle, any meat, and any cream of whatever soup. She said they keep it bland for people with upset stomachs and they bring a container of sour cream to zip it up for those who aren't sick.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Okie Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

1674 Posts

Mary Beth
McLoud Oklahoma
USA
1674 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2010 :  9:36:06 PM  Show Profile
One thing that we have always done is take breakfast to a family who has lost a loved one. On the morning of the funeral, we take the breakfast so that they don't have to deal with that at all. We make biscuits ahead of time and freeze them (I guess you could buy the ones in the freezer at the store that are ready to bake), cook sausage patties and freeze those and then the day of, thaw the biscuits, heat the sausage in the microwave, cut the biscuits, slap on the sausage, take a bag of frozen fruit and a deal of vanilla yogurt as well as a gallon of OJ and call it breakfast. :-)

Mary Beth

www.OklahomaPastryCloth.com

The Sovereign Lord is my strength - Habakkuk 3:19
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  06:48:23 AM  Show Profile
I've been thinking about this, too, Bonnie. Mashed potatoes freeze really well. They have to be made like you're going to eat them for supper (i.e. boil, mash, milk, butter, s & p) but it would be great to freeze portions for 4-6 and have those on hand, along with frozen meatloaves.

Go to Top of Page

Bevb
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Bev
Moscow ID
USA
81 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  07:05:26 AM  Show Profile
Our church does this - we get a few ladies together in the church kitchen, and make big batches of meals. Freeze them in foil containers, and keep in the church freezer for emergency meals.

Some of the items we have done include:
Chicken & Rice casserole
Potato soup
Lasagna
Chicken soup
Turkey & Noodles
Chili
Any other casserole

We also make batches of brownies, cookies and rolls.

Then when someone needs a meal, they take a main dish, dessert, rolls & stop & pick up a bag of salad at a store. Add a card, some ribbon, and drop it off to someone who is sick, a family suffering loss, or someone who's had a new baby.

If they have an immediate need, we'll thaw and heat up the dinner for them.

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Meals for Sick, deaths in family and elderly Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page