Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Adventure Map Next Topic  

Carrie W
Farmgirl Legend/Chapter Guru

437 Posts

Saratoga Springs New York
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2010 :  10:12:08 AM  Show Profile

Here are photos of my attempt at making coffee dyed fabric for my adventure map (MJF Magazine...July issue??). It turned out well, though it is darker than MaryJanes piece in the magazine. I had a stronger coffee mix because I used a pot instead of a tub. I dried it near the woodstove on a cookie sheet. It took my most of a day, with the overnight soak and a full day of drying and then setting in vinegar. I can't wait to get stitching!! I found the map at the website listed in the magazine and got it enlarged for $4 at Staples. I darkened the lines around the states to make them easier to pick out when I was tracing. I didn't have a MarkBgone pen so I used a fine line pen and will just have to use a heavy stitch to cover the lines completely.

Please share your map projects with me!!

Carrie M

www.apronsoftheadirondacks.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2010 :  08:09:08 AM  Show Profile
That is soooo cool!

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

My Blog - www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

Etsy Store - www.annapearlsattic.etsy.com

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2010 :  09:13:14 AM  Show Profile
Awesome, that looks really antique! Can't wait to see the finished product.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

kluckingbear
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Tabitha
Ellensburg WA
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2011 :  4:49:28 PM  Show Profile
My daughter and I made a pirates map like that for my nephew's birthday and he loved it. We painted the map on with fabric paint, burnt the edges of the fabric a bit and wrapped it with a leather strip to make it seem more rustic. Stitching it will be really great--can't wait to see the results!

~Come visit me at my blog www.kluckingbear.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W

437 Posts

USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  4:13:07 PM  Show Profile
Tabitha....what a great idea for a birthday!!! It sounds wonderful...my son (now 20) would have loved that when he was younger ;-)

Are you making the US map??

Carrie

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page

SherBear
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Sherri
Mukwonago Wi
USA
77 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  7:40:49 PM  Show Profile
I want to make one too, but I haven't really done any hand embroidery (I did cross stitch when I was little) and I'm afraid that if I take this on for a first project it just might never get done! I even bought some shell and bone buttons when we were on vacation in South Dakota this summer for my Custer State park location!

http://sherrileesgarden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  5:34:59 PM  Show Profile
This is on my "world plan" project. I have about 13 costumes ahead of it. I love the dyed effect of this, you did a fantastic job!

--
See my custom costumes, download free patterns, and hear some spook EVPs from Gettysburg, PA on my site, www.alterationsbyemily.com
Go to Top of Page

kathyjane
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Kathy
Doniphan MO
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2011 :  8:16:22 PM  Show Profile
I like the fabric. I love the galvanized tubs you have your baking sheet on! Where did you get them,Carrie?
Kathy Jane
Go to Top of Page

lovingewe
True Blue Farmgirl

212 Posts

marlyn-neleh
norwood Ontario
Canada
212 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  04:51:17 AM  Show Profile
That is really something. I have always used tea!!!

http://www.heritagefarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  04:55:44 AM  Show Profile
Great Job!!! Love the overall look you achieved. You must be excited to start the embroidery now. Looking forward to seeing the finished map

Joanna #566

JojoNH
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://www.Eastwooddesigns.com "For all your Promotional Needs"
www.JoannasHomeStudio.com "Keeping traditions alive a stitch at a time"
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W

437 Posts

USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2011 :  12:02:41 PM  Show Profile
Kathy Jane,

What you see are one galvanized sap bucket, and a larger galvanized bucket that came with a handled lid and was originally used as a place to put milk from the milk man. This is the story my uncle gave me, anyway, and he is who I got it from. I love the bucket and would like to use it outside somewhere but right now it holds newspaper and kindling for the woodstove. I don't know what else to do with it to showcase it better. I've thought about putting some boxes inside and then setting plant pots on them to make it look like a garden (herbs, flowers etc.). Oh well, something will strike my fancy someday and I'll do more with it.

The sap buckets are still available. I use them everywhere for all kinds of things...planters, ash bucket, etc. I love them. I also use them for sap, too, in season :-)

Sadly, I have not yet begun to embroider my map. I have been busy with holidays, quilting, a theatrical production in which I make and oversee props and costumes. But one day soon I will get it going. It won't take long once I start, I'm sure.

Blessings~

Carrie

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Adventure Map Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page