New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Best Blueberry Recipe Next Topic  

Mollie
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

88 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2006 :  5:55:46 PM  Show Profile
I am up to my eyeballs in blueberries, any new jam recipes or other recipes??

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2006 :  4:26:26 PM  Show Profile
You could try drying them... I ate my weight in dried (purchased) blueberries this year. They're great in cereal/granola or muffins. I try to freeze a lot every year, too.

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2006 :  11:15:47 AM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
Mmmm, I need to see if I can still get blueberries at our local blueberry farm! Things were crazy there for awhile, but I think I could find a little time in the next week or so and take the kids for some. Thanks for the drying idea Ann!

Mollie, I'm planning to freeze them for now until I have time to do other things with them. Just fill up ziploc baggies and pile them in the freezer!

Katee

The end will justify the pain it took to get us here.
"Looking Toward the Son"---- http://sonflowergirl731.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2006 :  11:41:31 AM  Show Profile
Mollie, I did a separate post a while back when I tried the MJF budget mix (pancake recipe)in my Belgian waffle maker. I used blueberries and strawberries on top...it was awesome. Try it for Breakfast, or Dessert, or anytime! Kids like playing tic-tac-toe with the berries on the waffles, too. Or maybe checkers? Good luck with those berries. I am "blue" with envy!

Jo
Go to Top of Page

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2006 :  11:55:20 AM  Show Profile
A friend of mine just finished a Blueberry cookbook http://www.fromourhometoyours.net/id20.html. Full of blueberry recipes!

My Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
My Recipes http://recipecircus.com/recipes/garliclady/
]
My blog http://www.epicourier.com/Garliclady/
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2006 :  4:57:40 PM  Show Profile
Here is a blueberry recipe my mom has made for years.

Blueberry Bar

1 Cup Flour
1 Cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 Cup shortneing
1 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 cups blueberries

Mix first 5 ingredients and spread 1/2 of mixture in an oiled 8" x 8" pan. Mix berries and sugar, spread over mixture in pan. Take remaining oat mixture and cover berries.

Bake for 45 minutes in a 375 degree oven.

Cut into bars when cooled

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

sonflowergurl
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Katee
Tampa 'Burbs FL
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2006 :  07:18:54 AM  Show Profile  Send sonflowergurl an AOL message
Here's one I forgot about. (DUH! We make this for Christmas morning breakfast, it's yummy!)

Overnight Blueberry French Toast

6 slices day old bread, cut into 1# cubes
1 8oz pkg cream cheese cut into small pieces
1C blueberries (fresh or frozen)
6 eggs, beaten
1C milk
1/2tsp vanilla extract
3T maple syrup
Lightly grease 8x8 baking dish (use 9x13 if doubled). Arrange 1/2 of the bread cubes in dish, top w/cream cheese cubes. Sprinkle w/blueberries and top w/bread cubes. In bowl, mix eggs, milk, vanilla, and maple syrup. Pour over bread cubes. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
The next morning, remove dish from fridge 1/2 hour before baking. Preheat oven to 350, cover and bake for 30 min, uncover and bake 30 min until firm and slightly brown.

Blueberry Sauce
1/2C white sugar
1T cornstarch
1/2C water
1/2C blueberries
1 1/2tsp butter
In med saucepan combine sugar, cornstarch and water. Bring to boil. Stir constantly, cook for 3-4 min, add blueberries. Reduce heat, simmer 10 minutes. Stir in butter. Serve over warm French toast!

These recipes are easily doubled. I've never made a small dish, it goes too fast!

Katee

The end will justify the pain it took to get us here.
"Looking Toward the Son"---- http://sonflowergirl731.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2006 :  08:39:10 AM  Show Profile
Mollie, I could never have enough blueberries. I put them in so many things from pie, crisp, pancakes, french toast, breada etc. You can freeze them if you have too many, they will keep. Do you have an area where you can sell them?? Like a little stand or something. I'd be in blueberry heaven.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

CarlaJeanne
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Carla
York Maine
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2006 :  12:21:59 PM  Show Profile
Blueberry Muffin Breakfast Cake,(AKA BOY CAKE), Boy, because in my cafe all the guys bought it, it's blue, sweet, recognizable, predictable, a guys dream. 350. 9X13 pan, buttered

4 C. Flour, 4 tsp. powder, 1-1/2 tsp. salt, 3 sticks unsalted butter, 3 C. sugar, 3 tsp. vanilla, 4 eggs, 1-1/2 C. buttermilk, 3 C. blueberries

top: 1 Stick unsalted butter, 1/2 C. flour, 1 C. sugar, 1 C. brown sugar, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Melt butter, mix butter with sugar, eggs & vanilla in mixing bowl. Add the dry alternating with the milk. Fold blueberries in last. Spread in baking dish, bake for about 30 till slightly set & golden on top.

In the meantime mix the topping in the quisinart, keep in fridge. When the cake is golden, cover the top, pop back in and back about a half hour till done. Thats it. Boy Cake!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Best Blueberry Recipe Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page