Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Holiday Gingerbread Bowl with Cookies
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Holiday Gingerbread Bowl with Cookies Next Topic  

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2006 :  2:56:48 PM  Show Profile
I finally got around to making this edible gingerbread bowl with cookies this past Christmas. Thought you would like to see it. It was fun and if you like I can get you the recipe!

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2006 :  3:47:42 PM  Show Profile
It looks like I would have to get started on this in september to have it done by Christmas, but it sure looks good, and very nicely presented. Do you sleep like maybe two hours a night? your posts are wearing me out, and I consider myself a very busy person. But you just keep going I enjoy your presentations.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2006 :  5:50:01 PM  Show Profile
LOL - I sleep - my husband works night shift and trash hunts after that so I keep kinda late hours. I have so much to do I practically need a secretary - today I am clearing a path in my office so I can get productive. I am trying to reorganize my bookshelf too - that is a project in itself. LOL, the goat came out of his cage last night and horned me right smack in the center of my chest, his buds have not fallen off yet - almost thought I wouldn't be here today - I worked less when I worked away from home hehehe

Go to Top of Page

Cindy Texas
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Cynthia
Mena Arkansas
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2006 :  5:58:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Cindy Texas an AOL message
Very cute, I would love the recipe. I decorated my whole kitchen in gingerbread men last Christmas and it was so cute. I love reading your posts.

Cindy
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2006 :  6:26:12 PM  Show Profile
Kathy- I used to make gingerbread bowls for my son's school at Christmastime. Everyone loved them. Yours is adorable with all of the greenery trimming it out. I haven't made one in years.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2006 :  8:24:33 PM  Show Profile
I'd love the recipe for this too. I'm wanting to make most of the gifts for family and friends this year and this looks like something really fun to do together with my kids.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

LisaBee
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Lisa
Sparta TN
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2006 :  9:46:22 PM  Show Profile  Send LisaBee a Yahoo! Message
I'd like the recipe, too, please. I like Cindy's idea about decorating the whole kitchen in gingerbread. When I decorate the tearoom this holiday season, I would like to put a little Christmas tree in there decorated with gingerbread men and women. I thought the gingerbread bowls would make a nice serving dish. Can they be made in individual sizes, do you think?

"There is no teacup too large, nor book too long."
BLOG http://lisa222.blogspot.com WEBSITE http://alittlepartasparta.com
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2006 :  11:10:46 AM  Show Profile
Kathy,

Me too, please. I would love the recipe for the holidays. Always like to make something no one else has done and have it be special. thank you.

Debbie

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2006 :  5:27:05 PM  Show Profile
Here it is copied from the site I got it from. Marcia Adams made this on a TV Christmas special one time and I waited years before I tried it, but it was well worth it - it makes for delicious gingerbread.

INGREDIENTS
· 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
· 3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
· 1/2 cup granulated sugar
· 1/3 cup light molasses
· 3/4 cup dark corn syrup
· 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
· 3 large eggs
· 8 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
· 1 tablespoon baking soda
· 1 teaspoon salt
· 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
· 1 teaspoon ground cloves
· 1 teaspoon ground ginger
· 1 teaspoon orange extract
· 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
· 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Tools/Equipment
· mixer
· 2 large bowls
· whisk
· plastic wrap
· 1 1/2-quart ovenproof glass bowl
· aluminum foil
· vegetable cooking spray
· miniature star-shaped cookie cutter
· baking sheet

Yield: 4 bowls or 1 bowl and 6 dozen small cookies
Prep Time: 3 hours

Day Fifteen Activity ~ Christmas Gingerbread Bowls
The Christmas season is almost over; the Feast of Our Lord's Baptism brings the season to a close. Here's a project to keep those smells of the season alive in our memory, and in our house. The Gingerbread bowls are easy to make, no matching of walls, no royal icing to use as glue, no extra candies or cookies to find to decorate. But once made, they are an attractive addition to your table or kitchen, and can stay around even after the Christmas decorations are put away.

While working on the bowls, serve up some mulled cider.

Fill these attractive bowls with assorted Christmas cookies; they make charming gifts. A narrow red grosgrain ribbon could be threaded star to star in the border, tied with a bow, and decorated with a bit of greens.

DIRECTIONS
1. In a large mixer bowl, cream the butter and sugars until fluffy, about 1 minute. With the mixer running, add the molasses, corn syrup, vanilla, and eggs, one at a time, beating until the mixture is well combined. In another large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients with a whisk.
2. Add the flour mixture gradually to the creamed mixture (the dough will be very stiff and you may have to use your hands to get all the flour worked in). Divide the dough into quarters and wrap each in plastic wrap. Chill overnight.

3. Cover the outside of a 1 1/2 quart ovenproof glass bowl with a lipped edge with aluminum foil, bringing the foil over the edges to the inside. Make sure the foil is on very smoothly. Spray the entire bowl with vegetable cooking spray and set aside.

4. On a floured surface, roll one-fourth of the dough into a circle 1/4 inch thick. Immediately life the dough and press it onto the outside of the bowl, molding it firmly to the shape of the bowl without stretching it. Trim the dough around the edge of the bowl with a sharp knife, then, using a small star-shaped cutter, cut out stars around the lipped edge of the bowl about 1 1/2 to 2 inches apart and about 1 1/2 inches up from the bottom of the inverted bowl. Refrigerate the bowl for 1 hour; the firms up the dough and prevents slippage during baking.

5. Preheat the oven to 350º F. Place the inverted bowl on an ungreased baking sheet and bake 20 to 30 minutes, or until lightly browned and firm to the touch. Allow the gingerbread to cool on the bowl. When cool, carefully loosen the foil and lift the foil and gingerbread shell off the bowl. Peel away the foil and discard; store the shell, uncovered, in a dry place away from the humidity of the kitchen.

6. Use the remaining dough to make 3 more bowls, or cut with decorative Christmas cutters into cookies. Bake the cookies on a lightly greased baking sheet for 8 to 10 minutes, or until they are lightly browned.

Recipe Source: Christmas in the Heartland by Marcia Adams

Go to Top of Page

Cindy Texas
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Cynthia
Mena Arkansas
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2006 :  5:43:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Cindy Texas an AOL message
Thank you so much for the recipe. I am going to print it right now.

Cindy
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2006 :  2:02:40 PM  Show Profile
thank you very much for this.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2006 :  7:25:49 PM  Show Profile
Gals with this recipe you should get a few bowls from it - best to make on a cold day when the kitchen is not humid and be sure to chill dough like recipe says - I made a few that day and you will have some flaws on them, but that is half the fun of making them - I think I was eating gingerbread for a few months - and when the bowls got stale, I fed them to the horses, they love gingerbread cookies Look up cookbooks by Marcia Adams - she had a great holiday show on TV many years ago and it was so full of Christmas spirit - her books are very nice with lots of great photographs and recipes to inspire you!

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Holiday Gingerbread Bowl with Cookies Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page