traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2010 :  10:04:19 AM  Show Profile
I'm not sure where to post this so I'm also going to put it in Outpost.

I just got MJ's Outpost book and she has a recipe for bug repellant bars. I went to the local craft store because I would like to make some for my friends for Christmas. Having never made anything like this before, I thought the prices for the raw goods were outrageous. $18/pound for beeswax. $2/ounce for cocoa butter(and the recipe calls for a cup and a half!)

So my question is---are these prices reasonable? If not, where do you get your ingredients to make lotions and soaps and stuff?

Have a happy Thanksgiving!

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2010 :  12:31:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Uhm No!! That is a HORRIBLE price for beeswax! I could send you a pound of local to me- unrefined Beeswax (just melted and strained from the beehive). I would have to figure out how much shipping would cost but I could would assume that with shipping it would be between $8-12.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2010 :  12:59:54 PM  Show Profile
For the other itmes check out Mountain Rose Herbs. Their prices are great.
I have made the bug off bars & they work well. I put them in little custard tins with different embellishments.
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2010 :  09:10:31 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for your responses. I haven't yet tried the local health food store. They may have everything I need. I was planning on getting the essential oils there anyway. If not, I will get back to you.

Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2010 :  08:08:03 AM  Show Profile
I made the bars but forgot the vitamin E oil. And I added LOTS more essential oil because I could barely smell it with only 10 drops each.

Oh, yes--I found beeswax at the local health food store for $1.15 per 1 ounce bar! Much better, don't you think? And I used coconut oil, which was solid at room temperature, because they didn't have cocoa butter.

The substitutions seem to have worked ok.

So, my next question is, what do I store them in? Currently they are in a glass bowl in my son's room which stays quite cool as it is shut off from the rest of the house. But my intent is to give these as gifts to my horse-riding friends to use when they/we are in the woods. What should we put them in? Sometimes it gets really warm where we ride, plus the heat from the horse, and, even though they smell wonderfull and like the outdoors, I really don't want them melted all over the inside of my pommel bags!

By the way, thank you for your offer, Alee.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2010 :  10:21:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I would store them in some sort of screw top type container. If you want to save some money you could always go with the food style containers (gladlock or whatever) from your local department store. Or you could buy something from someplace like Hobby Lobby. Like a metal tin, but those get easily dented, and if it dented the seal you could have leakage. For something that is going to be hauled around I would be more likely to do a plastic container.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic MJ's Bug-Off Bars Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page