katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2010 :  3:13:50 PM  Show Profile
I just HAD to share this with you apron wearing Divas(myself included!)... lol!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2010 :  4:27:01 PM  Show Profile
This may make you smile, or maybe not! It seems to fit with your post.
Susan

Home Economics For Women In The 1950'sJuly 31st 2007 00:40
From a 1950's high school home economics textbook, teaching girls how to prepare for married life.

1. Have dinner ready: Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal on time.

This is a way of letting him know that you have been thinking about him, and are concerned about his needs. Most men are hungry when they come home and the prospects of a good meal are part of the warm welcome needed.

2. Prepare yourself: Take 15 minutes to rest so you will be refreshed when he arrives. Touch up your make-up, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh looking.
He has just been with a lot of work- weary people. Be a little gay and a little more interesting. His boring day may need a lift.

3. Clear away the clutter. Make one last trip through the main part of the house just before your husband arrives, gathering up school books, toys, paper, etc. Then run a dust cloth over the tables.
Your husband will feel he has reached a haven of rest and order, and it will give you a lift, too.

4. Prepare the children: Take a few minutes to wash the children's hands and faces if they are small, comb their hair, and if necessary, change their clothes.
They are little treasures and he would like to see them playing the part.

5. Minimize the noise: At the time of his arrival, eliminate all noise of washer, dryer, dishwasher or vacuum. Try to encourage the children to be quiet.
Be happy to see him. Greet him with a warm smile and be glad to see him.

6. Things to avoid: Don't greet him with problems or complaints. Don't complain if he's late for dinner.
Count this as minor compared with what he might have gone through that day.

7. Make him comfortable: Have him lean back in a comfortable chair or suggest he lie down in the bedroom. Have a cool or warm drink ready for him. Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes.
Speak in a low, soft, soothing and pleasant voice. Allow him to relax and unwind.

8. Listen to him: You may have a dozen things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first.

9. Make the evening his: Never complain if he does not take you out to dinner or to other places of entertainment; instead, try to understand his world of strain and pressure, his need to be home and relax.

10. The goal: Try to make your home a place of peace and order where your husband can relax.

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver

Edited by - Cindy Lou on Nov 20 2010 4:30:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2010 :  4:55:19 PM  Show Profile
It's funny Susan that you posted that. On Friday Sela Ward thought that was so amusing she brought it on her visit to "The Talk". I'm afraid it ended up being shredded up in small pieces and thrown in the air lol!! Where I think it belongs!!!!

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2010 :  5:17:31 PM  Show Profile
I think I need some of that PEP! Where do I get some? LOL!

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

bakermom
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Linda
Garden Grove CA
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2010 :  5:27:11 PM  Show Profile
I think I would have to start the minute hubby left for work just to get that all done and have this "15 minutes" for myself to relax. I want a wife like that!

bakermom
sister#2064
www.lapetitekitchen.com
"that wine may cheer the hearts of man...that bread may strengthen mens hearts." psalm 104
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2010 :  6:20:07 PM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
Siobhan... I was going to say the exact same thing... Where are those PEP vitamins! I need 'em! LOL

~~~~
Proud Farmgirl #775

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2010 :  8:15:15 PM  Show Profile
I have to laugh,,, I was born in the mid '50's...and don't recall my mother doing any of this, but then again she spoke very little English...
I also recall a lot of Aunt's who could not get through the day with out their "mothers little helper"...
Valuimn....I guess the stress of being the perfect little wife got to them!....

>^..^<

Edited by - katmom on Nov 20 2010 8:19:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2010 :  06:24:00 AM  Show Profile
Forget those vitamins...I need a wife like that! LOL, my how times have changed. I remember reading somewhere in an old book that the wife should never let her husband see her without makeup. That means waiting until he falls asleep to take it off and getting up before him to put it back on and slip back into bed! Can anyone say Stepford Wives? I find the older I get the less makeup I wear and I love the freedom!
I don't agree with all of those "rules" but I do agree that we should get back to the family values and a life centered around home and family.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2010 :  07:05:48 AM  Show Profile
Now girls don't laugh at me. But I do have a nice dinner prepared every night for my DH and I get up every morning and make a pitcher of tea. I don't meet him at the door with a glass but he knows he can head straight to the fridge and it is there waiting on him. I do not take his shoes off for him because we are in the septic business and I know he has been walking on drainfields all day. Yuk!Yuk! We go out to dinner on the week ends. Some days make up and some days not. My children are grown but my 20 year old is still at home and plays the drums but he knows he is not allowed to play them when Dad is at home. I don't bore him with complaints unless his mother has drove me crazy that day. She is a drama queen and I don't like drama in my home. He does not complain much but is very tired when he gets home. Hum-- number 7 alarms me a little sounds like you might be asking for it.. You know what I'm talking about....be careful with that one if your not in the mood Hum! Hum! Most of the time my home is a place of peace and order not for his sanity but for mine!! Unless my mother in law has been over then I have a headache!!!!

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2010 :  07:44:36 AM  Show Profile
I think that I need more than 15 minutes of rest ! and I too would really like a wife like that
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2010 :  08:39:34 AM  Show Profile
What I want to see is the man that deserves such a wife. Let's see HIS list of do's and don'ts. We all would like to see things like they were in Ozzie and Harriet or Leave it to Beaver. Unfortunately, I took my lessons from I love Lucy. Now that I am a Golden Girl, look out!

Belle
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2010 :  10:20:55 AM  Show Profile
The man's list??

1) come home after work and relax
2) go to bed

LOL (I made these up myself and I ain't even married )

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts

Edited by - dutchy on Nov 21 2010 10:21:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2010 :  10:33:52 AM  Show Profile
That makes me mad !
Must have been a man to print something like that . Lol hugs sheila

http://www.sheilascreativetouches.blogspot.com/

http://www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2010 :  11:58:08 AM  Show Profile
hahaha! Marian, you forgot, "scratch his backside & burp!" lolol!
ok, I really am not a man basher, just like to tease mine from time to time....goodness knows, I am "Lucy" to my hubby's "Ricky"...and loving it!

Oh & I posted a few more pics on my katmom blog of some more 'vintage ads', if you are brave enough to go peek.

Sheila, the problem with nearly all those ads back then were that they were created in a Male dominated inviroment...thank goodness we women took up the addage, "We've Come a Long Way Baby"...
I love my liberated womanhood but I also love being my husbands wife & best friend, as it should be & ditto.
He likes to tease me from time to time about my "wifely chorses'...but I also know in my heart my husband would give his life to protect me....and he (no thanx to his mom) washes the dishes, vacuums and helps out around the house,,,,but I am his equal partner when we work out in the Mancave(barn) on the trailers and other stuff as well as around the property.
I just have to laugh and be grateful that times have changed.
>^..^<

Edited by - katmom on Nov 21 2010 12:00:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

gypsy goat
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

mary jo
michigan
673 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2010 :  05:54:33 AM  Show Profile
i love reading those old ads-my how times have changed. i have several old cookbooks that also have advice in them for new wives they are very funny to read but they give you alot to think about. maybe it wasn't that bad to just have to worry about the house kids and dinner, now we fuss over all kinds of things-no wonder we are so tired!

farmgirl#1362 whatever you are be a good one-abe lincoln
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lou
True Blue Farmgirl

2325 Posts

Susan
Lonsdale MN
USA
2325 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2010 :  09:30:08 AM  Show Profile
You are right Mary Jo,
Now so many more women work outside the home and have so many hours devoted to chauffering kids to a lot of activities. That stuff was probably never written with farmgirls in mind either. The gardening and critters to care for and other farm tasks there's just not time to be the "perfect little wife".
Susan

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
Mary Oliver
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2010 :  08:21:02 AM  Show Profile
The harder a wife works, the cuter she looks? Then I must look like Raquel Welsh!

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2010 :  09:26:44 AM  Show Profile
hahaha! Debbie,
luv it! then I could be her twin! lololol!
: > )

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4741 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4741 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2010 :  3:16:36 PM  Show Profile
You know, as I read that list, I realized I do the majority of those things for my husband. It is a two way street for us though. When he is off and I'm at work, he does the same back for me. I look at it as a way to show one & other how much we love each other. We just celebrated our 8th anniversary and we are very happy, so I think it works!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2010 :  5:01:39 PM  Show Profile
I'm with you, Dawn, on that, and I just celebrated 18 years. It's a way of showing each other respect and love. But I am not a doormat, either. :)

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2010 :  6:22:23 PM  Show Profile
Yep, luv my hubby of 38 years,,,and we dated in High School before we got married.
He is my rock & he has always treated me as his equal not as if he is my Master.... I like to think I have him wrapped around my little finger but the truth is, he is my best friend & Hero.....and I really do enjoy doing little things to show him how important he is in my life.

>^..^<

Go to Top of Page

StephB
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Stephanie
Alcove Quebec
Canada
27 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2010 :  10:56:06 PM  Show Profile  Click to see StephB's MSN Messenger address
I could use some "Pep". My 3 year old has slept through the night twice since he was born and I can't seem to help adding more animals to our farm even though the ones we have already run me ragged! :p Did I mention that I'm expecting a baby in March?...
Go to Top of Page

StephB
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Stephanie
Alcove Quebec
Canada
27 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2010 :  04:45:33 AM  Show Profile  Click to see StephB's MSN Messenger address
Really though, I'm with Dawn, Texdane, and Katmom. I try to be mindful of little things I can do to make DH feel cared for and loved. I take care of him because I want to and he always takes care of me as well. He's especially sweet when I'm pregnant, always worried about me over exerting myself :P
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2010 :  08:25:56 AM  Show Profile
I've seen that before. No wonder valium became so popular at that time :)

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

KD Earthwork
True Blue Farmgirl

210 Posts

Katie
Gualala Calif.
USA
210 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2010 :  08:37:04 AM  Show Profile
I'm not saying anything about being a housewife... but I want women to be listened to and respected especially in the workplace and by men.I really like this article.

http://www.rosemancreekranch.com

http://ukiahcommunityblog.wordpress.com/2010/11/23/u-s-women-made-amazing-progress-over-past-50-years/
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2010 :  2:07:17 PM  Show Profile
My husband works from home and is usually in his pajamas until lunchtime. I wonder what the writer of that article would have to say about that?

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Perfect Housewife!?!?! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page