Jenny Mae
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Jennifer
schomberg Ontario
Canada
7 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2005 :  2:08:55 PM  Show Profile
I recently read an advertisement in Hobby Farm magazine about alpacas and realized they were animals that i didn't know very much about. I set about finding some information and am becomming very interested. So far all of my sources have told me that they are a wise investment and a pleasure to ranch. I'm just wondering if anyone has any information on them or knows where i can find more information.

thanks a ton
yours in farming
Jenny Mae

brownswissgal
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Julie
Plainfield Wisconsin
USA
29 Posts

Posted - May 08 2005 :  06:10:11 AM  Show Profile
Jenny,

I know you posted this awhile back, but as far as I know... Alpaca's are real sweet, need minimal space, don't eat you out of house and home, their wool is pricey if you can find someone to purchase it... only problem... cost $$$ a good female can cost you thousands of dollars as well as a male unaltered... there is an Alpaca farm here in Wisconsin... for a gelding (male) that had been castrated... they wanted 4000 dollars just for one... I don't know if you'd get that good of a return for a castrated male only on his wool... mmmmm... gives me an idea LOL... he might work out better than the husband LOL just teasing...

take care, Julie

I never met a cow I didn't like
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2005 :  12:30:04 AM  Show Profile
Another late response...

I just did a quick search for alpacas for sale. I found that the females are priced from around $20,000 to $60,000. I just can't imagine being able to get the return on your investment!!
Go to Top of Page

grammagoose
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

sandy
exeter rhode island
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  07:18:19 AM  Show Profile
A real late response. I know of a few farms in my area that raise alpacas! And if I thought I could make even a little income from them I would not be a nurse! They are adorable although I understand not real cuddly and their fiber is very valuable! If anyone has come up with a plan that would work, please let me know.
SAndy
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  11:09:16 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
this is totally off topic but it caught my eye
What does "I would not be a nurse" mean? I assume that this is slang that I don't know?
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic alpacas Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page