Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic New to homeschooling Next Topic  

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2010 :  08:19:41 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I withdrew my daughter from school. Too much to get into here.

She just turned six and was in Kindergarden. I will be getting her books from the school on Monday. They are Abeka. So that takes care of that.

What I need to know is how to make the day flow and have some sort of routine. She is an only.

Will you give me some of your hints or just pray for me?

Thank you so much.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2010 :  09:09:36 AM  Show Profile
Hi Amy,
Well, I home schooled my only child too! So congrats! She graduated on time 2 years ago. My how time flys. If she is an easy child to deal with like my Dumplin is, you'll have no trouble and will enjoy it immensely. I found friends that also home schooled and started my own group. I ran it and we met one day a week to keep up with their association. We went on field trips and you get discounts just like any other school. I planned trips to Disney World, museums, forts etc...I am fluent in Sign Language so I taught that and art class. The other Mom's did different classes, English, Math, Science etc... we did it according to their ages. Which they were all close in age so that made it easy for us to plan their activities.
Just start out by writing down your day and stick to it daily. Have breaks, snack time, play time, nap time etc...Run it like a real school and that keeps you and the child structured. Hope I've helped!
Hugs,
Marjean

Farmgirl sister #308
handmade cards, vintage organizer bags and more at www.jeanpatchbymk.etsy.com
http://jeanpatch.blogspot.com
www.fullerdirect.com
id#0920150
www.watkinsonline.com/rjaramillo
www.sunshinefarmgirlcoop.com
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2010 :  10:30:59 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations,Amy.

I had a great time homeschooling my daughter, wished I had started at the beginning, but oh, well.

I know that structure and schedule is important. But, don't get too caught up in it especially now with your daughter being 6. She is probably a "sponge" right now and absorbing everything! Any activity ends up being a chance to learn. I really encourage you to tailor your assignments to your daughter's interest. For instance, my daughter was just horse-crazy at 12 years old. So, science was the anatomy of a horse, math included determining the probability of the color a mare's offspring would be when she is bred with ,say, a black stallion, stuff like that.

It can be so much fun. Best luck

marianne
Go to Top of Page

Mommyswanson
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Laura
Waukegan IL
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2010 :  10:51:30 AM  Show Profile
Hi Amy

Wow! What a new adventure you will be on!! I do not homeshcool my children, but have friends who do & I have done home daycare where I ran it like a typical preschool schedule. I have also taught prek & K at our local community college child development center for over 20 years until I retired earlier this year. My friend who homeschools has 3 children but they are all at different great levels & her older two work pretty independently & do much of their studies on the computer. With her younges though she keeps a schedule, they actually start with her daughters least favorite subject as the first thing they do each day so she can "get it out of the way." Her daughter likes this idea because then she feels the rest of the day is more fun.

At the child development center we kept most of the activites with the Kindergardeners to about 20-40 minutes each depending on their interest & the amount of time needed. We always started with some Journaling which they did in a regular notebook. They would write the month, day & date on their page which reinforced their understanding of the calendar & then wrote about something that happened the day before & what they hoped or planned to have happen that day, which reinforced their knowledge of time, before, tomorow, etc. The kids really loved their journals, they could write, draw, glue pictures & memorabilia into it, whatever they wanted. I actually do this myself everyday & encourage my own kids to do it, particularly during the times they are out of school.

I wish you luck & hope you have lots of fun. What a wonderful time this will be for you & your daughter.

Laura

"That which does not kill us makes us strong!" "I cast all my cares upon you Lord."
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2010 :  10:34:23 AM  Show Profile
I have homeschooled my kids for a long time. Now with three, each is/was different. My oldest who adopted at 14 and then she was homeschooled. She was not hard, I just gave her monthly gaols and she met them. She got her diploma thru the armys program and was top of her class and is now in the antional guard.
Now my son who I pulled out of public school in 3rd grade was hard. He needed lots reminders, and short goals. He is now 19 and still wont get his GED.I think he has so much fear from what the public schools did to him he is just now getting confidence.
Now my youngest, who is 16 now. She is aiming to graduate this spring. She was not too bad. She did struggle with reading, but is now advanced. She is now doing really good and looking at colleges.
I used the flylady site as an example for how I scheduled my kids. Here is a link http://flylady.net/index.asp.
I made a flight plan for each kid. Each flight plan covered everything from chores to school work to activities with our local support group. My girls loved this, my son did not. It is so different for each and every kid. But let me tell you, it is rewarding. The first time your kids get something you have been working on you will be amazed, and so proud. I think that is what it is all about. Google homeschooling,get involved or start a group. I know I loved it and I hope you do too!

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2010 :  1:31:05 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Thank you very much for your advise and support.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

Catherine L
True Blue Farmgirl

408 Posts

Cathy
Newton Texas
USA
408 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2010 :  3:01:03 PM  Show Profile
Good for you!!!! I teach in public school and encourage home schooling whenever I can. I home schooled our only child (daughter) all of her school years and loved it. The opportunities are endless. People would ask if Courtney made A's in school and I would say yes, because we worked on things until she learned it.
I remember learning at a home school conference that one hour with a student one on one is equivalent to three hours in the classroom, so don't get hung up thinking you have to school for eight hours a day. Enjoy it, it is a wonderful journey.

~Catherine~
Farmgirl 2428
Go to Top of Page

amomfly
True Blue Farmgirl

658 Posts

Angie
LaGrange IN
USA
658 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2010 :  4:47:56 PM  Show Profile
Cathy, great point, I forgot to say that. Even now for highschool, my youngest is done in like 4-5 hours.

God Bless
Angie-amomfly
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic New to homeschooling Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page