Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Family Matters
 Who has influenced you most in life?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Family Matters: Previous Topic Who has influenced you most in life? Next Topic  

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2010 :  10:02:41 PM  Show Profile
I am so grateful for all of you, my wonderful Farmgirl Sisters. I was thinking today how much all of you truly enrich my life - I absolutely think the world of you! I can't help but wonder who helped to shape the wonderful people that you are... Who has been the greatest influence in your life? What was the greatest gift he or she has left with you?

For me, it was my grandmother. Every single day, I thank God for her. She was just my best friend in the whole world, and although she passed on a few years ago, I still hear her voice; I still feel her in my heart... It's amazing how the love really does abide. Whenever I hear that song, "Wind Beneath My Wings" by Bette Midler, I am always moved to tears thinking about Grandma, because that was exactly who she was to me. She instilled in me a great faith and love of God. She taught me to believe in myself and trust in Him always. She always wanted the best for me, always believed the best about me, always saw the best in me, always gave of herself for me, always prayed fervently for me. She used to always say, "You can do anything you set your mind out to do - with the help of God," and "Think happy thoughts;" but what I remember most of all is that she was the one person who always told me, "I love you." Those words from her heart to mine carried me through more than anyone will ever know. They still do today despite the veil that separates us. Because of her, I am truly blessed; and to her, I am deeply grateful.

Please share with all of us who influenced you most, too!

- Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Nov 07 2010 10:04:38 PM

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2010 :  07:42:50 AM  Show Profile
Nini,

On Wednesday my good friend Susan sent me an invitation to her annual Christmas luncheon at her historic home across the river from me. On the invite she requested we each bring a photo of one person who has influenced us in our life and to tell us why! Well...I started thinking and it came to me.

The very first issue of MaryJanes magazine I picked up had a picture of an angelic little girl-barefoot and muddy-that really touched my heart and so I began to read the article. It was about Julia's little girl Aria and how they were beginning their journey of recovery from cancer. After reading this touching and inspiring story I contacted the magazine telling them how much the article meant to me and they in turn forwarded my e-mail to Julia. Julia then contacted me and the rest is history-We became fast and dear friends. Julia has helped me through some very difficult times with her up-front honesty and kindness and I love her like she was my own sister. So....my answer would have to be Julia Hayes one of our very own Farmgirl sisters-

Thank you Julia for being there for me.

Edited by - melody on Nov 08 2010 07:46:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2010 :  09:00:49 AM  Show Profile
I would have to say my mother has influenced me the most in life. I find that the older I get, the more I become like her. Some good things, some not so good things that I'd like to let her keep as her own traits! It's funny because she complains all the time about things that she sees in her own mother that she can't stand, but (don't tell her I told you this because she doesn't want to hear it) the apple doesn't fall far from the tree LOL!
My mother is a strong woman who, for many years (some with a spouse, some without), raised my sister and I on her own. Years of independence has made her stubborn, even though (like her own mother) she won't admit it. She has no need to be so independent now as she has a wonderful husband and friend in my adoptive father who has been part of our lives for 16 years now. But, she just is. One thing that I'm trying to avoid and I think I'm doing pretty well. God has blessed me with a wonderful husband whom I can always count on. I've not had need of stubborn independence so far :)

My mother is also a very compassionate woman and I will take all of that example I can get. She has such great patience and grace for people and I've always admired that about her and strived to be just as loving and patient as she has always been.

My mother is the one who led me to a loving relationship with my heavenly father. Watching her go through years of abuse when I was a child and then come out on the other side of it choosing to accept God's love as a Father who cares is the example that led me to forgive the years of abuse that I had endured and accept Him as well. I don't know where I would be today without my relationship with Christ and I owe that to her. She still is a great example of a woman of God to me and my family. I know I can always count on her prayers and guidance.

Love my momma!

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2010 :  10:03:07 AM  Show Profile
My Dad. A loving caring person. Not go good at making a living but with a Dad as good as he was my sister and I did not mind. He always told both us girls that we could do anything a man could do we just might have to find a bit different way of proceeding. He taught me basic mechanics and all about levers and how to use them to make up the actual strength difference.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2010 :  10:16:55 AM  Show Profile
A positive influence in my life was our grandmamma. She was the best grandma a girl could have, really. The greatest gift she gave me was her patience (ahum some would disagree with this haha )She had so much patience, she could sit for hours with some tangled yarn, and unpick it.

Also she showed how a small, frail lady could be a great fighter for her family. She and granddaddy did SO much during WWII to keep them safe.

My whole family always told me I look so much like her, PTL. Not only on the outside but also my character is so like hers. Patient, helping, kind and sweet :)

Negative influence our mother.

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts

http://pinkprincesscreations.blogspot.com/ My Creations blog

Edited by - dutchy on Nov 08 2010 10:17:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2010 :  06:33:56 AM  Show Profile
i love sharing about my dad. when i was growing up around 5 yrs. old our lives changed. mom dad and my sis and i moved to a house next to his folks. we were there to care for grandpa. he had terminal cancer. dad was working as a longshoremen. dad was injured on the docks. broke back and neck. mom went to work in the myrtlewood factory. we were broke and broken. he never gave up. mom had a porphyria attack. they said she was having a nervous breakdown. dad even broken kept his head up and stayed sane. from then on everything became hard for our folks. mom was sick dad was hurt. all through the years dad made do. we still say it often. making do is what we do. he believed in me. he loved me. he yelled and cussed and scared us silly. after mom worked in the factory she was always sick. she would hallucinate and be very weird. dad never left her. he cared for her loved her forgave her. the lacquers she sprayed hurt her bad. when she was ill dad would take me to the dairy farm to live. he always said he would come back and he did. he taught me to hunt fish build never give up ( though there are times i want to for sure) love deeply forgive always no judging others and any day above ground is a good day. he said i could sell the wart off a hogs nose and make a SILK PURSE out of a sows ear.lol hence silk purse farm happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2010 :  06:53:12 AM  Show Profile
Awe...beautiful story Sherrye!

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2010 :  5:13:50 PM  Show Profile
You all have such beautiful stories! All stories of deep, abiding love, mixed with a generous helping of spending time! I love them! 'Hoping we receive many more! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

J.F. Brown
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

Jamie
Beaverton OR
USA
130 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2010 :  1:12:57 PM  Show Profile
Mother first, and maybe most. She has been gone more than thirty years, but she taught me so much, and I 'see her' in my mirror more and more.I see her influence in what I choose and do not choose for myself, I see her hands when I cook and create, I hear her voice in my own.
My late husband,who could fix anything I broke, and believed ( sometimes rightly) I could, too. So mostly, I do. He's right there when I clean the tub drain,or climb a ladder.
My children- they have taught me patience, the reverse of it, and how much I do and don't know. Having an adult son with disabilities has taught me so very very much. Nothing like having your kid ask you if you can find your way out of the parking lot!
And my dearest friend, friend of thirty-five years, sister of my heart... she has taught me so much more than I even know,about myself, the world and more.
Go to Top of Page

wncmtnmama
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Marilyn
Asheville NC
25 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  1:38:42 PM  Show Profile
Definitely my Mama and Daddy. Mama HATES the word "fair" - especially when my sisters or I would say something wasn't fair. She'd always say "Life's not fair - get over it" and that has served me so well all my life. You just keep moving forward and hope that your "good deals" outnumber the "raw deals" - somethings are just out of your control and you have to live with it, work around it or just get over it. She taught me to cook, how to fold fitted sheets (which my dad calls "organized wadding"), be thrifty and how to manage a household. But bless her heart, she could not get me to enjoy the fine art of dusting - I hate it to this day.

My daddy told me "It's okay to WANT a man, but don't you ever get to the point that you NEED a man" - I took it as his way of telling us to be self sufficient on our own, to never be dependent upon someone else. He was also the master of "cruel and unusual punishment" (at least in our teenage opinions). We could only hope to get grounded - but no, he farmed us out to neighbors and church members when we got out of line - raking their yards, cutting grass, weeding the gardens, washing their cars - with no goofing off or else ! If we had enough energy to misbehave, we had enough to help someone else. The joke around our church was "we need you girls to misbehave, we have work that needs to be done". All the adults enjoyed that - we just snarled, but we got the point. Sometimes, punishment was changing the oil in the cars, putting on brake shoes or anything auto related - which we hated ! But he made punishment (or rather discipline) be an opportunity to learn something while also paying for our transgression - he's actually quite brilliant !

My sisters and I will call each other now and "tell" on ourselves when we pull a "mama" or "daddy" quote, but I guess in the end, that's the greatest compliment we could give them - we're following their lead and applying it to our lives.

Oh, and I have to mention my sweet daughter and husband - they inspire me to be a better person, because they deserve only the best from me.
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  3:54:18 PM  Show Profile
I really had to think about this. My first answer was like most of the farmgirls - my mom. But, although she taught me so much about being fair and toughening up, my husband has probably been the biggest influence in my life. If I had not met and fallen for him, I don't think I would have had this adventuresome of a life. Together we left CA where our families had always lived and followed his career to NYC. MANY moves later we were back in CA for almost 7 years before we again traversed the country. We have lived in big cities, small towns...in big houses on city blocks and small homes in acres of country. I would have never known how wonderful all sorts of animals can be - even reptiles. He has believed in me when I know he should have had his doubts. And protected me when my health deteriorated. He "gave" me my biggest lesson and greatest joy in life- my daughter. I don't think I would have known myself without his being in my life.

Thanks for asking this question. i enjoyed reflecting on it.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2010 :  09:46:51 AM  Show Profile
I would undoubtedly say my Dad. He always looked at the world positively no matter how tough it was. He gave me my love for gardening and roses. I have a very vivid memory of being in a playpen, so I was very young, in his rose garden while he puttered and talked and every time I smell roses that is the memory that comes back. In later years when he was in a wheel chair he had someone come and take his flower beds out and make raised beds and then put his flowers back so he was able to still putter in his garden. He's been gone for 8 years and a day doesn't go by that I think of him. I miss him.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

HDA
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Heidi
Hood River OR
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  05:41:19 AM  Show Profile
I just read all these & loved every one. My biggest influence is definitely hands down my grandmother. She passed away December 2, 2009. I feel fortunate to have had her in my life for nearly 30 years, especially knowing other people who never knew thier grandmothers! She was just one person that I bet you could never find ANYWHERE someone who did not like her. I think that would be impossible. Now that is a hard thing to come by! Everyone who ever met her loved her. She was so genuine, so loving. She had absolute hardship in her life at times, and yet she always was able to hold on to the positive and find happiness. I envy her ability to do that & strive to find that in myself since that doesn't come naturally to me unfortunately! My Grandma was all about her family, the best most wonderful grandma a girl could ask for. Many of my interests came from things she did...cooking, sewing, gardening...I definitely take after her in those ways. It has been tough with her gone, I absolutely want to be like her in every way possible because to me she was nearly perfect :)
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  09:59:37 AM  Show Profile
I actually have two people that influenced me greatly, my grandmother and my uncle.

My grandmother babysat me for at least the first 2 years of my life and I firmly believe I bonded with her instead of my mother. I spent most my weekends with her when I was younger. I learned so much from watching her about gardening, canning, cooking, sewing, etc. I deeply regret not spending more time with her as a teenager while I could. Her health was slipping and my uncle flew me home after the birth of my first baby so I could see her one last time - it was supposed to be a surprise. No one had said a word to her about me coming home, yet that morning she told her nurses aide that her granddaughter was bringing her great grandbaby for her to see. Unfortunately she slipped into a coma before I arrived and she never got to see my daughter. She died in May of 1985.

I spent a lot of time with my uncle while I was at grandma's house. My uncle loved to read and constantly had new projects he was working on. At a very young age he started my love of reading and constantly bought books for my library. I remember climbing up on his lap to see what he was studying one day and he taught me some basic calculus/math. I was in kindergarten at the time and I waited and waited each year to have my teacher start teaching what I had learned from my uncle so I could say I already knew it - it wasn't until 4th grade they touched on it. Some of it they never covered so I'm going to assume it was calculus since I never took calculus. Having no father figure in my life I would say he became my father figure even though he was in high school when I was born. He taught me how to use tools and do basic household things. He taught me to shoot a gun. He taught me to love British humor and comedy. He was a master gardener. There's no way I could ever thank him for all he taught me.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2011 :  9:04:39 PM  Show Profile
this is such a neat idea, it made me really thing about who had been an influence in my life....My mother died when I was just barely 11 & my sis, 1 yr younger & i were put into an childrens Home cause our dad was an alcoholic. but before my mother died i thankfully remembered a lot about her & how kind she was to others, we were very very poor but it never felt that way though now I remember Mother saying she wasn't hungry at dinner, it was her way of making sure we got enough to eat. As I grew older i learned about Mother Theresa & how wonderful she was to those who needed her & she became a person who like my mother I wanted to follow in my heart. there was something about her & my mothers willingness to give without any form of payment that always inspired me. I try to be the person they were...if I have it no matter what it is I will give it & never ask for anything in return....i lend my help to anyone that needs it...I give my ear to those who need someone to listen...I give my shoulder to anyone who needs it to cry on or lean on. I am not a perfect person but I feel those 2 women gave me the ability to open myself up to others....to learn to get past the hate others may hold because I am white, a woman, now middle class or just because I am who I am. i try to always to be thankful for all that I have & know tomorrow I could lose it all but will still be able to stand on my own 2 feet & carry on....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2011 :  5:05:43 PM  Show Profile
Oooooh... Michele! I love Mother Teresa, too! She really is a tremendous inspiration! That's awesome!

Reading through all these posts, I can't help thinking how truly blessed we all are. Time spent, wisdom shared and great examples seem to truly be the threads that bind this farmgirl quilt, don't you think?

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2011 :  3:17:42 PM  Show Profile
Michelle, I also bonded with my grandmother and my mothers sisters instead of my Mom. I "lived" at my Nanas and miss her so much. She died in 1975 before I could get home to say goodbye. My aunts are all in their 70s now & we are all so close despite the distance between us. They live in PA.
BUT the biggest influence in my life was my first boss. I had taken a year off from Nursing school for health reasons and went to work as a clerk for a credit company. This guy was young and cute and so smart. He knew I was bored just answering phones so he always gave me other tasks to do too. I learned about the company. I learned to work hard. I learned to prioritize. Most important I think, he listened to me and emotionally supported me when I felt nobody else was listening. He always gave me alot of advice like "I can't control the wind but I can adjust my sail." and "When in doubt act like you own the place." I think of the things he taught me often. What a good guy. It's almost 40 years later and we're still friends. Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2011 :  5:44:19 PM  Show Profile
My mother did her part in shaping my practical side, my business sense, my love of animals-- But I am going to have to credit Julie, the wife of my church pastor in Oregon. Julie was one of those amazing high energy people, she was so smart, and fun, and kind, and charitable. She instantly made anyone feel welcome around her, and was super stylish and cool to top it off---
She inspired me to enrich the world around me by always making a point to make everyone feel welcome, and to always make time to play with my kids. My house may not be as clean as hers always was, but Julie is everything a pastor's wife should be. A Godly woman you want to emulate, who is still humble enough to show her weaknesses, and reach out a hand in friendship to everyone.

"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic Who has influenced you most in life? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page