Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Doctor wants me on Enbrel-update
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Doctor wants me on Enbrel-update Next Topic  

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2010 :  06:00:15 AM  Show Profile
I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis about 9 years ago. It took my Rheumatologist about a year and a half to find the right mix of drugs to help me. I was on Methotrexate and Prednisone. This summer I was not feeling well and my liver panels suggested that my medications were the problem. I am now off of everything and am feeling fair, the fatigue and pain have come back, but I am drug free. My Rheumatologist wants to put me on one of those TNF blockers like Enbrel in December. I don't want to. I am trying some homeopathic rememdies. Flax Seed Oil, Curamin and Glucosamine/Chondroitin. The problem with RA is your immune system attacks the fluid around all your joints, so the medical mind-set is to alter the immune system so it is not so strong and thus does not attack you as much. I don't like fooling around with my immune system. Any of you farmgirls know of something else I can take or do to feel better? I am trying to simplify my life as much as possible. I have been getting rid of a lot of stuff so it is easier to clean and maintain my household. I try to stay active. I walk my dog a couple of miles twice a day. I was thinking about yoga or tai chi. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White

Edited by - Fiddlehead Farm on Dec 23 2010 06:20:52 AM

Windsong
True Blue Farmgirl

309 Posts

LaVonna
Decatur Tx
309 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2010 :  08:56:03 AM  Show Profile
Colstrum is an immune modulator. It tweaks it to fight infection but turns downthe self attacking part. I sell it in my product line or you can get it at the health food store. But watch because sometimes they put immune stimulators in as well. You want just colostrum.

Farmgirl Sister #758
www.windsongwellnessandtherapyshoppe.com
http://sadiesfarm.blogspot.com/
http://healthtalkcafe.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4738 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4738 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2010 :  09:03:15 AM  Show Profile
I have found exercise, yoga, working out at the gym and walking to reduce my pain tremendously. If I skip a few days, the pain hits again, by staying limber I have been able to stay pain free.

I hope you find a natural way to eliminate your pain.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2010 :  12:55:12 PM  Show Profile
Diane, good for you for taking control of your body. I think most people are over medicated and it's the doctor's faults. I was walking a few months ago and noticed alot of horse mint growing wild on the side of the road. I read up on it and it says it's really good for people with arthritis. So I picked a bunch and dried it. I don't know if it grows up there and it's probably too late. But maybe there is a good store that carries it. I could send you what I have if you can't find it. Also, since I have quit eating any foods with sugar and no white foods I am feeling so much better. I was having a hard time raising my left leg up to cross it. I can do that now. And even putting on pants is alot easier because I can lift my legs.

I sure hope you can find more natural remedies. And I think yoga would be great for you. I am going to do that too. Also to keep your immune system well I would suggest you find some elderberry syrup and take it DAILY. I ordered 2 pounds of the berries and make my own syrup. SO much cheaper that way. You need to stay as healthy as possible.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2010 :  2:04:37 PM  Show Profile
Diane, I happy to see you are going the non-med way. I also have RA and it is very painful. But I don't want to take the med's. After you see all the reactions that are possible, kind of scares you. I do hope someone will have some good ideas to help you out. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs, Brenda

http:///www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2010 :  5:46:34 PM  Show Profile
Diane, I am taking Tai Chi, it is supposed to be very good for arthrtis, the arthritis foundation recommends it and they post places you can take classes near you.
I am taking it at the Rec center near me - I have just started it, but really enjoy it! Lots to learn - but very soothing.
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  06:24:43 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the suggestions and offers my dear farmgirl friends. I am still having a rough time. I used to be the one that "did everything". Now, even the smallest task leaves me exhausted and in pain. I need one of the Thermacare wraps...do they make them in a full body wrap? LOL. I feel like one of those RA commercials, you know, "there is the life you live and the one that you want to live", of course it is made by a big drug company. When they give you the side-effects and one of them is fatal, I just have to wonder. So, I have been researching again (Google is your friend) and found some information about Pro-Biotics. Apparently the immune system is centered in your guts and pro-biotics can help people with auto-immune diseases. I went to my health food store and bought some and I also bought a book called "Eat to Live". I am going to give it some time to work. Needless to say, the Holiday Season is going to be really simple at my house this year. Hoping the New Year sees me feeling at least half way like my old self.

farmgirl sister #922

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  06:52:31 AM  Show Profile
Hi Diane!

I have been reading Nourishing Traditions by Sally Falon and I think there are some correlations with food that will help you stave off the RA issues. You might want to give it a look over. It's a gigantic book, but I'm learning so much!
Also, I've been reading articles by Dr. Mercola online and here is one from him about RA: http://www.mercola.com/article/rheumatoid_arthritis/index.htm
Hope you feel better friend!

Playing in the Sonshine
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/sonshine4u
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  06:54:17 AM  Show Profile
good morning diane, glad to hear your off your meds now. sometimes its a hard road. sorry you are having so much pain though. i think foods that are acidic are hard on the immune system too. such as chocolate meats coffe. toning down acid in our body helps. raw apple cider vinegar in a glass of warm water sweetened with honey can be helpful. just some thoughts to throw around. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  07:48:50 AM  Show Profile
Thanks girls! April that site is awesome, it will take me awhile to get through it. Thank you.

Sherrye, I have the apple cider vinegar with the "mother" in it. I tried to just take it like a shot, but it kinda burns! I will try it in water with honey. Thanks!

farmgirl sister #922

- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  09:37:53 AM  Show Profile
Diane,
I am so happy to hear you're off your RX meds. I know it took my liver and organs two year to clean out the liver and for the pain in my digestive system to go away. If you can find a good homeopathic doctor in your area ask them to work on the genetics. That is what my doctor does and it saved my life. My hair color even came back after 5 years of old lady dead black and gray. I'm a redhead once again.
Sherry is right about the acid foods. You have to eat lots of raw fruits and vege every day to keep your body alkaline. You also need to be off of dairy and sugar and yeast. They all keep the intestines with the bad bacteria instead of the good from the pro-biotics.
Hoping you win the fight and feel better real soon.

Farmgirl sister #308
handmade cards, vintage organizer bags and more at www.jeanpatchbymk.etsy.com
http://jeanpatch.blogspot.com
www.fullerdirect.com
id#0920150
www.watkinsonline.com/rjaramillo
www.sunshinefarmgirlcoop.com
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  09:56:22 AM  Show Profile
Ok Diane,
My daughter works at a health food store and they use this book called Precrption for Nutritional Healing. Borrow it from the library and look on page 140 for RA and follow what it says for you. It has a ton of things you can take that won't hurt you and that will help you.

This one for external joint pain I thought was good. Take organic cayenne and cocount oil into a paste and put on where you have the pain. It will sting at first but it reduces the pain markedly. Then there is a whole section on foods to avoid and why and foods to eat and why.

Farmgirl sister #308
handmade cards, vintage organizer bags and more at www.jeanpatchbymk.etsy.com
http://jeanpatch.blogspot.com
www.fullerdirect.com
id#0920150
www.watkinsonline.com/rjaramillo
www.sunshinefarmgirlcoop.com
Go to Top of Page

thehatlady
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Lola
Doniphan Missouri
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  10:17:56 AM  Show Profile
Diane: I take a taaspoon of cinnamon every day, I put it in my cereal and tho it takes a while to see results I have found it works, at least for me. I hate to take a presp med, and try to rely on natural. And I don't any oftener than I have too. Lola

Every day, in every way, I become better and better.
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  10:25:36 AM  Show Profile
They actually have cinnamon in capsules you can buy to make it easier to ingest. It was highly recommended when I was looking for natural ways to deal with fibroids and heavy bleeding. They recommend 1 to 3 Tablespoons of it for heavy bleeding so the capsules were much easier to get down then that amount of dry cinnamon.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2010 :  06:24:30 AM  Show Profile
My doctor thinks that my RA is progressing very fast and tells me that Enbrel can stop the progression and may put me in remission. He says that he has a few patients that are trying the homeopathic route and they are now disabled. I have decided to give it a try and my insurance has agreed to pay for it. It is very expensive. It is a TNF blocker that you inject once a week. I am still going to keep on using my supplements and herbs. Any one here on this kind of medication or know anyone that is?

farmgirl sister #922

- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2010 :  06:59:19 AM  Show Profile
I am praying for you Diane! I hope you feel better soon and can enjoy your Christmas with your family! Hugs!!!
~April

Playing in the Sonshine
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/sonshine4u
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1497 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2010 :  07:16:21 AM  Show Profile
Diane I'm glad that you are going to give the Enbrel a try. At least then you will know first hand how it affects you and then you can decide whether or not you like the results and want to continue. My Dad has severe adult onset juvenile RA and had been really stiff and sore for years on methotrexate and prednisone. He has been taking Enbrel for about 5 years now and he is off all Methotrexate, prednisone and Celebrex. His mobility has increased and he is now as active as he was 20 years ago. I hope it will help you too!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

theprimitivepilgrim
True Blue Farmgirl

217 Posts

Michelle
Baggs Wyoming
USA
217 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2010 :  08:38:04 AM  Show Profile
Diane, I am so sorry to hear of your suffering. I do hope the Enbrel may give you some relief, and your life back. I too believe in a natural approach also. Six years ago I was diagnosed with an auto immune disorder which the doctors believed was the onset of Lupus. I went to the Mayo Clinic, and was told I would be on steriods the rest of my life, to buy some TED hose, settle in to my new life. I decided to attend a natural detox center for ten days where we juice fasted, did a blood cleanse, parasite cleanse, and took all sorts of supplements. I left there feeling better than I had in 10 years. It took three months, but after that my blood tests showed no sign of an auto immune disease. Something the doctors said would never happen. We had a very sweet lady, Darlene, attend also, who was terribly crippled up from RA. She arrived with neck & arm braces, and a walker. She went home without any braces on, and walking with just a cane. It was the clinics belief that parasites are a huge contributor to all kinds of arthritis. It was an amazing experience, and completely changed my way of thinking about disease. I had sent Marjean a copy of the book from this clinic, and if you would like I can get a copy for you. It is an amazing story about recovering from breast cancer at 34 yrs old, and this is how the clinic was formed.

Sending love and hugs your way, and hoping you are soon back to your "old self" ~

~Michelle
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Doctor wants me on Enbrel-update Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page