Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Please help - Homemade Crackers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Please help - Homemade Crackers Next Topic  

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2010 :  04:17:29 AM  Show Profile
Hello and Good morning,
Does anyone have the MJF magazine with the homemade cracker recipes? I know I had it because I've made them before, but now when I need those recipes again, I can't find that issue. I need the recipe because I volunteered to make crackers for refreshments for a meeting next week. (because I just knew I had it where it belonged - silly me)

And I didn't see a place on the website to go to for recipes. If it is on the website, I'll be just as glad to look there, too, if that makes it easier on anyone else looking through their own stash.

Thanks a bunch, I appreciate someone else being better organized than I seem to be right now. Blessings.

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
www.saxonlutheranmemorial.com

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2010 :  06:23:35 AM  Show Profile
I have the recipe using her Budget Mix from the Farm Kitchen special issue. Hope it is the one you are looking for...
Farmhouse Crackers - yield: six dozen crackers
3 cups Farmgirl Budget Mix
6 T cold butter cut into 1/2 inch pieces
3/4 cup plus 2T water
1 large egg
2 t sugar
1 t balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup sesame seeds, toasted

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly spray or wipe baking sheet with oil
2. In a medium bowl, cut butter into Farmgirl Budget Mix
3. Add the water to the budget mixture and still until mixture forms a dough
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together egg, sugar and vinegar. Set aside
5. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surgace and roll out very thinly. Brush with egg mixture and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Cut, tear into strips or use cookie cutters to form cracker shapes. Transfer crackers to baking sheet.
6. Bake 8-10 minutes (15-18 minutes for crisp crackers). Transfer to racks for cooling.

Variation: replace the sesame seeds with cheese and sprinkle with 1/4 t. black pepper

Good luck!

We can do no great things; only small things with great love - Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2010 :  2:42:56 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Starletta, thanks much for seeing my post for help and sending me the recipe. I did see that one, but I don't have the Budget Mix. And I'm not familar with the contents of the mix. Do you think a store-bought baking mix would work the same?

I wish I could remember which issue it was in. I remember the recipe was on the left hand page and then there were variation listed on the bottom of the page that spanned both pages (I think). Maybe it was a different magazine, but I'm almost positive that it was MJF. Were they even pictured on the front cover, too? This is making me crazy trying to find it, sorry for my outloud thinking.

I will give this recipe a try to in the meantime. Thanks so much again, blessings on your day.

Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2010 :  8:06:29 PM  Show Profile
Lynda,
Oct-Nov 2009 the Tried-n-True issue. I just happen to have it here at work, page 82.
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teas cream of tartar
3/4 teas salt
3/4 teas baking soda
1/4 cup oil (we used grapeseed)
1/2 cup water
1 medium egg
2 teas sugar
1 teas balsamic vinegar
1/4 teas sesame seeds, toasted
Preheat over to 350F. Lightly spray or wipe baking sheet with oil.
In a medium bowl, combine first four ingredients and mix well.
Add oil and stir until mixture resembles coarse meal.
Add water and stir until dough forms.
In a small bowl, whisk together egg, sugar, and vinegar. Set aside.
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and roll out very thin.
Brush with egg mixture and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Cut, tear into strips, or use cookie cutters to make any cracker shape you like. Transfer to baking sheet.
Bake for 15-20 minutes (depending on size and thickness of cracker). Transfer to racks for cooling.

All of the crackers sound good but I really want to make the Gingerbread Crackers.
Hope this helps.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

coloquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Susan
Co
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2010 :  5:21:56 PM  Show Profile  Send coloquilter a Yahoo! Message
I made the crackers, they are really good !
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2010 :  9:28:19 PM  Show Profile
kathy, thank you very much for typing that all out for me. That's the one I need. And you got it to me just in time. I still haven't found my magazine, but I also lent one to someone to introduce them to MJF and it might have been that issue. I wasn't looking for the recipe at that time, so didn't pay attention to what was in it.

Well, you can guess what I will be doing tomorrow, making crackers. Fun stuff! Thanks again and God bless.

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Please help - Homemade Crackers Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page