Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2006 :  8:55:16 PM  Show Profile
have any of you redone kitchen cabinets before? I have never attempted this but need to upgrade my kitchen a bit..we have cabinetry from the 70's and it is varnished wood..what would you all suggest? Kilz as a primer? then a semi gloss finish? I know I'm going to have to sand the bakoozles out of it to get all the old stuff buffed down enough for priming but wasn't sure about a good primer and then a good finsh that was easily cleanable. So if any of you have tackled a project like this please chime in and let me know how you did it. thanks in advance. ~Tina~

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2006 :  06:20:05 AM  Show Profile
Hi Tina- I would wash the cabinet doors with TSP first to remove any built-up grease and dirt. Then give them a light sanding to break up the original finish. You are right about the primer- use a good one like Kilz. Put on one coat, then lightly sand when dry, add another. Then put your paint coat on. I have always used a high gloss finish in the kitchen as it is the most durable and easily cleaned. Do the same process, a light coat, then sand and then a second coat. You may need up to three coats depending on the color you choose. More light coats, properly prepared gives a better finish than one globbed on one. Good luck and have fun!!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2006 :  07:58:48 AM  Show Profile
I have used a Behr primer called Gripper. It is wonderful for painting over.

Mary

Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding. Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2006 :  12:01:33 PM  Show Profile
hate to sound ignorant but what is TSP?

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2006 :  12:13:27 PM  Show Profile
Good question!! TSP is trisodium phosphate. You can get it at the hardware store. (Home Depot, Lowe's etc.) It can be very caustic, so wear rubber gloves if you use it!! But, it really does a great job cutting through old gunk and makes it a lot easier to sand.
Sorry I didn;t explain that at first!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Krisathome
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Kristin
Iowa
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2006 :  10:10:51 PM  Show Profile
We have painted cabinets in our kitchen. We gutted the room, right down to the studs and reworked our old cabinets plus added some more recycled ones. We sanded them ourselves, then we had a friend who is a professional paint contractor prime them and paint them in his spray booth. No brush marks that way.

We used oil based paint on the cabinets themselves and it wears like iron. Nasty stuff to clean up after when you are painting but it hasn't worn off yet.

I made the mistake of using latex paint on some of the wood trim around our tile counter tops. The paint gets alot of wear and tear and wiping and it has worn off. Down to the bare wood actually. I wish now that I had listened to our friend...

Edited by - Krisathome on Jun 07 2006 10:11:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Destiny~
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Dar
west TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2006 :  08:40:22 AM  Show Profile
If you do decide to use an oil based paint make sure you have LOTS of ventilation. I can attest first hand what the fumes will do to your brain if you don't.

"Let us, together, sow seeds for a better harvest-a harvest for hope."
Jane Goodall, Harvest for Hope
Go to Top of Page

Krisathome
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Kristin
Iowa
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2006 :  10:51:41 AM  Show Profile
Good point, Destiny!
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2006 :  11:17:41 AM  Show Profile
thank you all very much for the advice.

Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2006 :  6:32:41 PM  Show Profile
I think you just want any high adhesion primer (like gripper - in case you can't find that particular product).

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." -E. B. White

http://www.betweenthecities.com/blog/ljr/
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Painting kitchen cabinets Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page