Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Variations on homemade bakeover crusts
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Variations on homemade bakeover crusts Next Topic  

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - May 24 2006 :  4:24:41 PM  Show Profile
I never use mixes, and I've played around with the "basic crust" recipe. For instance, I made an herbed crust by stirring fresh basil into the basic crust dough. I made a cornbread crust by substituting milk for the water, cornmeal for half the flour, and adding two tablespoons of sugar to the mix. I made a whole wheat crust by substituting whole wheat flour for half of the flour.

Does MJ have any variations on the basic crust in any of her magazines? Do any other farmgirls tinker with the basic crust recipe?

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - May 25 2006 :  05:22:09 AM  Show Profile
Amanda, hi! In her book, MaryJane gives the crust recipe. On the webpage for the mix, I believe the ingredient list for the whole wheat mix shows it to have 100% white whole wheat flour. That's how I do it, as I have local access to white whole wheat in the grocery store. King Arthur Flour Co. sells it by internet and catalog, too. The white has a milder flavor, but the overall texture is probably still heavier than if regular flour was used. I'm trying to get away from non-whole grain...
How did your cornmeal crust turn out? That sounds interesting.

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - May 25 2006 :  3:00:50 PM  Show Profile
I'm aware that the recipe is in the book. I use the "basic crust recipe" from MaryJanes book. I was wondering if, in the cooking issue of the magazine, there were any variations on the basic crust recipe that I hadn't thought of myself or if any other farmgirls had come up with ideas.

The cornmeal crust turned out great. I used it on a bakeover with black beans, winter squash, okra, and corn. It probably would have been better with some Jack or Colby cheese, but I didn't think to put any in.
Go to Top of Page

rabbithorns
True Blue Farmgirl

544 Posts

Allison
Fort Scott KS
USA
544 Posts

Posted - May 25 2006 :  8:58:59 PM  Show Profile
Wow! That bakeover sounds delicious. I just use my own favorite biscuit recipe for the crust since I like biscuit-like bread. My recipe is just some sugar and cream away from a nice scone recipe, so I can use the scone recipe for dessert bakeovers (also dried fruit in the sweet crust is nice). I can also add grated cheese and/or herbs to the biscuit recipe for a savory crust. Since the biscuit recipe and the scone recipe are foolproof (for me - I'm a terrible cook so if it works, I don't mess with it), I just stick with those. Seasoning them doesn't change the basic recipe at all.

http://www.rabbithorns.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - May 27 2006 :  08:16:20 AM  Show Profile
Amanda, Hi... Your cornbread bakeover sounds delicious. In the new magazine, the bakeovers can be substituted with other mixes: Buttermilk Bisquit, Shepherd's Panbread mix, Focaccia Bread Mix, as well as cornbread. Also, there are recipes for using the bakeover mix with olive oil, honey and water to make panbreads, baked in the oven with ingredients on top. If you want to email me, I'll give you the recipe for the panbread and some ideas for toppings. We really liked these. Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2006 :  12:16:32 PM  Show Profile
I made a Bakeover for our Linger-Longer at church yesterday and it went in a flash!! (After fasting all day, these people were hungry!) I used the potato-jalapeno recipe from the new magazine. Everyone raved about it- and I was happy to tell them it was a MaryJane creation! Gotta love her.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2006 :  11:07:06 AM  Show Profile
Ann, I guess I wasn't clear. I don't use mixes, not even Mary Jane's, ever, at all. What I was interested in knowing was if anyone else had played with the "basic crust" recipe or if there were other specific recipes for homemade bakeover crusts other than the "basic crust" anywhere else in MJ's literature.

Allison, thanks for the tips. Since MJ's "basic crust" is effectively a pared-down biscuit recipe, adding cheese to it would probably be wonderful, especially in a southern or southwestern style bakeover.

(Hm...I'm already getting ideas. Sweet potatoes, tomatoes, okra and corn, spiced with a little thyme and worcestershire sauce, with a cheese-biscuit crust)
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Variations on homemade bakeover crusts Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page