SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2010 :  10:44:42 AM  Show Profile
We have recently moved to Vermont and are anticipating brrrrrrrr :) My husband and I have a down comforter on our bed which is so warm no matter the temp. I have 3 kiddos and have one more twin size down comforter. I need to get 2 more and prices as they are, I'm wondering about "down alternative" Is it as warm and cozy? Is it washable? Would you warn me to stay away from it and save up more $$ to afford the real down?

Just looking for your input/advice/opinions/etc. Thanks so much for sharing!! :)

AmethystRose
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Rosemary
Huntingdon PA
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2010 :  2:39:03 PM  Show Profile

I would probably base my judgement on the age of the kids and maintenance of the comforters.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2010 :  2:46:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sheila- I have had both. It really depends. The down alternative is basically the poly fill that you get in most comforters- just with more loft. It can be warm and cozy- but no where near as much as real down in my opinion. It is a plastic so it will outgas if you are concerned about that. I also found mine to be just as bulky as a down so it was just as hard/easy to launder as my down.

The nice thing about the alternative is that it doesn't have the wet feather smell when you are laundering, feathers don't work themselves out and poke you, and it doesn't aggravate allergies like feathers can for some people.

That being said I love our down pillows and feather bed. I want to get a down blanket one of these days but it has to wait until our dog is no longer with us for other reasons.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2010 :  4:36:25 PM  Show Profile
I guess my biggest concern is will it be as warm as down?
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2010 :  5:53:27 PM  Show Profile
For the winter here we have the micro-fleece sheets (like polar fleece) for the beds. I think Costco carries them if not Wal-Mart probably does or any bedding shop for that matter. These are very cosy and are great if you just have polyfill comforters.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2010 :  5:22:29 PM  Show Profile
I have an electric matteress pad on my bed. We turn it on about a half hour before bed to heat the bed up. Then we turn it off but you can leave them on. we just don't. I have a down blanket that I love. I have had down alernates in the past but when I finally could afford one I swore I would never go back.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Hallie
Video Sister

79 Posts

Hallie
Pullman WA
USA
79 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2010 :  11:00:13 AM  Show Profile
Sheila, I tried a down alternative comforter about five years ago because I thought I might have a feather allergy. In my experience, no, it's not as warm for the same weight so you have to go a little heavier.

Two things frustrated me about the down alternative: it doesn't breathe as well and gets hotter than down, which I could use almost year round, and it also wears out a LOT faster. After about three years my down alternative was getting really lumpy and thinning out. I ended up replacing it with the old down comforter which is now going on its 15th year and is still lovely. I think down is the way to go. :) Maybe someone is making a better quality down-alternative these days, but beware of the cheap ones if you decide to go that route!

Hallie
Sister #1112
www.maryjanesfarm.tv
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Down vs down alternative? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page