christmasgal
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Rose
The Dalles oregon
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2010 :  3:32:22 PM  Show Profile
im wanting to make a life change, down size and move somewhere on the southern coast of alaska, any alaska farmgirls out there willing to process this with me telling me about the area you live in and why? email me at christmasinoregon@gmail.com

"Life is'nt about waiting for the storm to pass...It's about learning to dance in the rain" sister #1486

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2010 :  5:15:59 PM  Show Profile
I'm not from Alaska but I 'd sure be interested in that same topic. You should let them post here so we can all learn.

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

www.farmgirlsam.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2010 :  7:09:23 PM  Show Profile
Lived in Eagle River for 15 years and couldn't wait to get out. I had a very hard time with the darkness, and the remoteness of having to fly out to go any where. But I have a DD SIL and 3 grand kids up there and go up a couple times a year. Anchorage has better shoping and the entertainment is great but don't really want to go back for any long term time.

Diana
But there is no snakes which is a plus.

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2010 :  11:27:41 AM  Show Profile
Always loved there/ never been there; but I think it beautiful
I will just settled for living on our farm in the mountains with the creek, ha
good luck hugs sheila

http://www.sheilascreativetouches.blogspot.com/

http://www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ReLovely
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Carrie
Juneau Alaska
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2010 :  12:39:30 AM  Show Profile
I am in Southeast Alaska. Moved here when I was 16 and have loved it ever since - 21 years this past August. Though I won't lie and say the dark isn't sometimes hard to take - myself, I've always been an avid reader and crafter and so I manage alright. The constant rain is what seems to drive most people away from here. In Juneau we have 225+ days of rain, averaging almost 5 inches per month - more in the fall. Here, to move out of the rain means to move colder. I just collect the rain water and be happy for it and whoo hoo...bonus! my skin looks much younger than my sister's (same age), who lives "lower 48" ;-)

With less than 700,000 in the state it seems real cozy and you get to know people from every part of the state, most are real friendly and neighborly people. Though we do have our "outlaws" who moved here to get away from whatever and just want to be left alone.

No snakes, which I agree is a h-u-g-e plus...on the other hand the bears seem to get smarter every generation and more pesky & fearless. I adore them but must always be cautious, even just working in my yard or walking across the street downtown. They are certainly not shy. My cats and garden have had more run-ins with them than any other critter.

I love it but I want to leave it. It's getting waaay too expensive to live here and frankly, I'm tired of the cold. My knees and back don't like it much either and I'm in the warmest part of the state. Getting my Alaskan husband to leave is going to be the hardest part.

I apologize for the long post, Alaska is one of my most favorite topics ;-) I've got lots more if you're interested.

Best wishes.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ReLovelyStudio

Edited by - ReLovely on Oct 21 2010 12:43:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2010 :  1:04:53 PM  Show Profile
I was born and raised in the Matanuska Valley where the BIG cabbages grow. My parents still live there; my daughter spent the last two summers up there; and both my brothers live in the state--one in Dutch Harbor and one in McCarthy. I lived there years ago when there were less than 200,000 people in the state and half of them lived in Anchorage!! Was glad I lived elsewhere.

I don't know much about Southeast other than it rains a lot. The Matanuska Valley is quite temperate compared to Fairbanks. The summers are usually great with LOTS of daylight (20+ hours a day) but occasionally it will rain most of the summer. The winters can get down to -20 degrees, but the sun is usually shining during the day so it doesn't seem so bad. At least that's how I remember it growing up. I've lived in Oregon for over 20 years now, but I spent 20+ in AK. The Mat Valley does have a lot of wind. Growing up there, I didn't know any different and just did what I had to do. I had horses when I lived at home and rode them all year, even in the snow and below zero. They had fluffy coats! I'd know it was below zero when I would sniff and my nose would freeze closed momentarily.

I no longer live up there because I married an Oregonian. Even though the winters here are warmer temperature-wise, I miss the sunshine and dry cold during the day. Damp cold is really cold.

I just realized that I didn't address the darkness issue. Again, I grew up there and didn't know any different. I remember getting on and off the school bus in the dark during the winter. Sometimes the road drifted shut and the bus couldn't get to our house, or my mom would take us across the field on a snowmachine pulling a sled to meet the bus.

Be prepared for mosquitoes. They are unbelievable.

Best of luck with your decision. Keep us posted.

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

christmasgal
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Rose
The Dalles oregon
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2010 :  09:54:56 AM  Show Profile
all you, thanks for the imput,, relovely, i just spent the first 10 days of oct. in juneau and loved it soo much,,,i would sit and walk at the glacier everyday,,,and skaters cabin is auesome...i was there with an ex husband that thought he wanted to get back together with me and changed his mind.. but i am homesick for alaska and would very much like to move there,, the abundance of wild life and the the simple life is so wonderful to me, and the smell of the air there is fresher there than any where i have ever been and the hamburgers and the douglas cafe were sooo good... ummm and the pan fried noodles at peter in the mall... yum... i so wish i had made the effort to let ya all know i was going ahead of time incase there was some farmgirls i could have met up with,, sorry for not thinking of it before everyone,, and yes would love to hear more stories :) and i couldnt believe almost every store there had a help wanted sign in the window , so basic jobs are avalible there,,,dont know if it is like that everywhere,, keep me updated thanks so much.... rose

"Life is'nt about waiting for the storm to pass...It's about learning to dance in the rain" sister #1486
Go to Top of Page

christmasgal
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Rose
The Dalles oregon
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2010 :  09:56:41 AM  Show Profile
also the ex lives in a rented room on Sawa circle,, are ya familiar with it??

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic alaska Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page