Page: of 13

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2010 :  9:03:14 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone! I really enjoyed reading about, well, what everyone is reading this week! So, this week I'm reading Chicks With Sticks (It's a Purl Thing), which is teen chicklit about this girl who becomes addicted to knitting after losing a family member. I'm also reading The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks. I'm enjoying it so far. What about everyone else? What's on the bookshelf this week?
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.

countrymum
True Blue Farmgirl

97 Posts

Lorie
PA
USA
97 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2010 :  4:42:39 PM  Show Profile
I just started The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton. I friend gave it to me so we'll see it is a long book.

"Life is brief & very fragile. Do that which makes you happy."- Flavia
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3322 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3322 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2010 :  4:50:50 PM  Show Profile
Once Upon a Time-A True Story By Gloria Vanderbilt...I read it a long time ago and while dusting the stacks decided to re-read it again-Love, love, love the photos that are included!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
www.lemonverbenasoap.etsy.com
www.bythebayhandcraftedsoap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2010 :  5:13:57 PM  Show Profile
I usually list my books on my blog and sort of give a review so others will know if they might be interested in them. I am reading The LIttle HOuse in the Ozarks; the writings of Laura Ingalls Wilder (Little House on the Prairie author) and these are articles she wrote for a local Missouri newspaper before she wrote the Little House books. I'm finding it amazing that these articles written in the early 1900's are still relevant today.
I'm also reading The Fingerprints of God which is very interesting and well-written about how science and spirituality are coming closer and closer.
AND....I'm always reading 3 or 4 or more at the same time...I just finished Very Valentine by Adriana Trigiani. It was good but IMO not as good as her first trilogy which was Cherry Holler, Big Stone Gap and Milk Glass Moon...in that order...I think.
I just bought a new book which I haven't started yet...Little Bee by Chris Cleave...#1 NYT's Best Seller...a story of 2 women who's lives "collide" but you're warned not to tell the ending to anyone or you'll spoil it for them,,,hmmm...sounds like a good one! The other one is a new one that showed up in our library and I don't usually read too much fiction but again this one caught my eye...Keeping by Stacey McGlynn...a story of Daisy Phillips....the kind of old lady we all hope to become. I'll let you know how these last 2 are when I finish them. I love talking "books"!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

www.farmgirlsam.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2010 :  5:32:00 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Sandra, that's a lot of books! I'm just starting out in high school, so I when I have time, I'm always reading! I love talking books, too! Keeping sounds like a good book. I'll have to look it up!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2010 :  6:40:27 PM  Show Profile
reading Poorer Richards Almanac, what would Ben do ? by Tom Blair plus have a book by Elanor Roosevelt to read, Fiber and Brimstone by Laura Childs
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2010 :  9:10:59 PM  Show Profile
I can never just read one book at a time. :) I'm currently reading "The Scarlett Letter" by Nathaniel Hawthorne (a re-read for homeschool Literature class), "The Secret of the Rosary" by Saint Louis de Montfort, "The Prayers and Personal Devotions of Mother Angelica" by Raymond Arroyo (I just love her!), "A Father Who Keeps His Promises" by Scott Hahn, and "The Red Tent" by Anita Diamant. Next on my list is "Coffee with Nonna" by Vincent M. Iezzi - am really looking forward to that one! :)

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3322 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3322 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2010 :  9:35:30 PM  Show Profile
Oh Nini...I have The Red Tent and read it quite a while ago-It was like nothing I had ever read before-

You are funny! My mother-in-law reads several books at a time- I have tried it, but I always end up putting one down and finishing the one I started first!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2010 :  06:44:03 AM  Show Profile
Lorie,

Hope you enjoy the Forgotten Garden. I read it a year or so ago and loved it. It's long, but it was one of those books that i didn't want to end. Do you like it so far?

Judy

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2010 :  07:30:12 AM  Show Profile
Hi Melody! I actually read it a couple of years ago, myself! One of my friends and I were talking about it recently, and we have two completely different memories about something that happens in the book. I had been reading it with another friend at the time, and it brought about some really intriguing discussion, so I am fairly sure about my memory of that particular event. Long story short, I really enjoyed the book, and now she and I are re-reading it together so we can discuss. It's interesting how people can read the same thing and come away with such unique impressions.

In all honesty, there are times when I favor one book over another - especially when I reach a really good part, or when it's 2:00 AM and NOTHING is helping me fall asleep! For the most part, though, I'm pretty consistent in reading sections of each at a time. It's similar to watching a couple of your favorite t.v. shows back to back, you know? :) Only, I have to say, it is MUCH better entertainment and education than what most of what television offers!

Anyway you choose do it, it's just really important to read, right? Like they used to say when we were kids - "reading is fundamental!"

Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

Mommyswanson
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Laura
Waukegan IL
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2010 :  07:39:04 AM  Show Profile
I just started the new book in Sharon Lathan's MR. Darcy series. They continue the story of Pride & Prejudice.

Laura

"That which does not kill us makes us strong!" "I cast all my cares upon you Lord."
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2010 :  07:52:36 AM  Show Profile
Izzy and Lenore by Jon Katz. The 4th book I've read from this writer, a memoir about these two different dogs, two VERY different starts to their lives, their incredible bond at Mr. Katz's farm, and Izzy's work as a hospice therapy dog. I'm sure that part will be a tear-jerker!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2010 :  4:31:20 PM  Show Profile
Nini, I have both Coffee with Nonna books, and I absolutely love them! I'm Italian and Catholic, so they hold extra special places in my heart:)
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2010 :  5:15:34 PM  Show Profile
Oh! That is so great, Megan! I am SO looking forward to them. I just finished two of my books last night, so the Nonna book is going to be my next purchase! I didn't know that there were TWO! Yay!!! I'm not Italian, but there's a lot of Italian throughout my extended family and circle of friends... still can't master a good sauce to save my life, though! LOL! Most of my talks were over tea with my maternal Grandma who was Irish, French, Scotch and English. She was absolutely everything to me. She was my best friend, and I miss her so much. The best of what you see in me is merely a glimpse of all that my wonderful, wonderful Grandma was. So, of course, when I read about the Nonna book, I started crying! I'm so silly, I know... But Grandmas are precious, precious, precious...there is just nobody like them! :) Oh - and I am PASSIONATELY Catholic! We'll have to "talk" sometime if you want to! ;) Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts on the books - now I'll have to get both! LOL! Hugs, Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2010 :  5:33:56 PM  Show Profile
I know what you mean about the grandmas. I love both my Nana and Grandma to pieces, and I don't know what I'd do without either one of them! Yeah, there's Coffee with Nonna and More Coffee with Nonna. I haven't read the second one, but I know they are both full of such wonderful stories.
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2010 :  7:44:39 PM  Show Profile
I am almost done with the book called The Help. Excellent read. I had forgotten Sharon Lathams next book in her series was coming out. I have all of the series...so I am going to have to get that.

blessings
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

http://breathsoffaith.blogspot.com

Farm Sister #1889
Go to Top of Page

Jessi Lynn
True Blue Farmgirl

144 Posts

New York
USA
144 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2010 :  10:54:15 PM  Show Profile
The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury

It's a great read aloud family book.

The story is about nine boys who get together for Halloween fun. But one boy didn't met up. They go to his house and he doesn't seem himself. They are told not to worry and that he'll meet up with later at the house outside of town, the House of Haunts. Before he reaches them, Something takes him away. In hopes to save their friend they travel to The Undiscovered Country with the mysterious Carapace Clavicle Mounshroud. The boys follow their friend through time and learn Halloween traditions/origins along the way.

We're really enjoying this book-looks like this is one that we'll read every year.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2010 :  11:10:15 PM  Show Profile
Just finished Friday night knitting club (loved it!) and just got from the library today The Homeplace by Gilbert Morris. My 14 yr. old daughter picked it for me..I couldn't get away to go and so when she went off to get a book for herself I had her pick one for me as well. She is GOOD>..this one sounds exactly like something I would have picked myself. All I told her was that I would look in the new book rack and she knows my taste besides that. Here is what the back cover says:
Fourteen year old Lanie Belle Freeman of Fiarhope, Arkansas, has high hopes for her future. Happy on the five acre family homeplace, she dreams of going to college and becoming a writer. And with her father launching a new business and her mother expecting the fifth baby, the bright days of an early Southern sp;ring seem to herald expansive new beginnings for the Freeman family.
But her mother isn't as strong as she should be, and it's going to take time for the business to pay back the mortgage. When unexpected tragedy strikes, it is left to Lanie to keep the family together and hold on to their home. In a world shaken by the Great Depression, it is faith in God and love in a tightly knit family that will help Lanie and her siblings overcome the odds and create a future that promises the fulfillment of love.
sounds good, doesn't it? I will let you know.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2010 :  3:28:15 PM  Show Profile
I'm just finishing Anne Perry's, "Southhampton Row". I love all of her different series from Victorian times to World War I.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

countrymum
True Blue Farmgirl

97 Posts

Lorie
PA
USA
97 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2010 :  4:08:49 PM  Show Profile
thanks for the input Judy. So far I am enjoying it.

"Life is brief & very fragile. Do that which makes you happy."- Flavia
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2010 :  6:18:16 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, I'll have to put that on my list! I just picked up a new one from the library the other day. Confessions of the Sullivan Sisters: It's a teen chicklit, and I'm enjoying it a lot. The Sullivans basically live off of their matriarch, Almighty (the paternal grandmother). On Christmas Eve, Almighty tells the family that she has a brain tumor and if it gets worse, she'll die. But she's written them out of the will, and if the family doesn't have the inheritance, they'll lose everything. But Almighty has a condition that she'll write the family back in the will. She said that someone in the family has seriously offended her, and that if they write an apology in writing to her before New Year's Eve, she'll write them back in the will. Well, it's decided that it was one of the three girls, Norrie, Jane, and Sassy, who offended her. So basically the book is three stories from the girls' lives. I'm enjoying it so far!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2010 :  10:58:21 PM  Show Profile
Oh..that sounds like a good one as well!!!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

jclambert
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Judy
Stringtown Oklahoma
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2010 :  10:02:58 AM  Show Profile
I just finished Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls. Wonderful book about her grandmother. There was a series of books about women traveling in a wagon train that I wanted to read and I can't remember the name or author. Anybody have a clue what I'm talking about? I keep thinking the title had "Eight" in it, but I'm not sure, there may have been 8 women in the book.

Judy

"Courage is when you're licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what". Atticus Finch - To Kill a Mockingbird
Go to Top of Page

Homekeepn
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Cathy
West Gardiner Maine
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2010 :  3:33:45 PM  Show Profile
I am reading the "Outlander" series. I am on the third book, Voyager. Several ladies at work have read, or are currantly reading this series too.

---Cathy---
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2010 :  8:35:02 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, it is! I'm enjoying it, and I got through some of it today during my study hall!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2010 :  6:40:31 PM  Show Profile
JUdy..I loved Half broke Horses too. And Cathy...I LOVED the OUtlander series. I do believe I am ready to read them again soon. I wish she would write another one. She takes FOREVER between books. They are long and complicated books and I understand she may have other things going on in her life too..but really hard to wait!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Reading Room: Previous Topic What are we reading? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page