Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Farmhouse Decorating Ideas Next Topic  

highlandviewpantry
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

WV
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2010 :  06:05:08 AM  Show Profile
My husband and I looked for an old farmhouse to renovate for years; however, real estate in our area is inflated. So, we decided to build a new "old" farmhouse. Help me brainstorm decorating ideas to add old charm to a new house. The construction is almost done and it is getting close to the fun part. The house is all white with white lineal trim around the windows. The roof is slate gray and we hope to add a big porch soon. I need ideas for curtains, front door colors, wide plank wood floors, lighting fixtures, etc. I also need accessories like dishes, glassware, silverware, artwork, etc. Any ideas would be helpful and so would website links. Thanks!

www.thehighlandviewpantry.blogspot.com

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2010 :  08:46:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I like bright front doors- Like bright cherry red or a rich cobalt blue. I think lots of white or cream washed furniture with "distress" has a great country charm- as does wrought iron furniture. I would take a look at the displays on MaryJanes part of the website (webstore) for linens and such. Not only would you get great ideas but her products are awesome! I have her Grange set for our bedroom and I adore it!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

solilly
True Blue Farmgirl

726 Posts

Lillian
Williamsburg Virginia
USA
726 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2010 :  09:29:53 AM  Show Profile  Click to see solilly's MSN Messenger address  Send solilly a Yahoo! Message
Just go with what you like or you will not be happy with what you do. You do not want to redo it because you do not like it. As you start it will come to you and go with it you will see. Good lock and happy hunting. Just because you want the look does not mean you must rebuy to make it so. Lilly

learning the life I always wanted.
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2010 :  10:07:43 AM  Show Profile
gOOGLE--- "A Primitive Place" Lots of sites come up, great pictures and ideas.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9384 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9384 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2010 :  04:50:45 AM  Show Profile
White walls with anything that you like says farm. We live in an old farmhouse, built in 1897. Builders came in 1999-2000 and updated. we purchased our home in 2000 and mostly it looks like a farmhouse. We just re did the kitchen and it looks more like a farmhouse. Unfortunately the outside of the original house looks like a colonial but we put on an addition and it doesn't match the front. Oh well, we like it and hopefully someday we will get the 2 to match. If not, we are just as happy with it this way.
I pulled wallpaper off the walls in the kitchen and painted it all a cream white color. We were putting in a bigger kitchen window and so I took the opportunity to do something different in there. I put wood trim around the windows and the cabinets are all oak colored. I love it! That is the key, do what you love. That way you won't be disappointed and you are the one who lives there so be sure you decorate with things you want to see everyday. Make it your own farmhouse style.

farmgirl sister#43

O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

gypsy goat
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

mary jo
michigan
673 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2010 :  08:59:16 AM  Show Profile
you could also look for a local place that sells things that have been taken out of old houses before they are tore down-like a second hand shop for houses or try the local antique store for fixtures or even just to get ideas. but i agree you should put in your house wahtever you like and is a reflection of you and your husband-not somebody else

farmgirl#1362 whatever you are be a good one-abe lincoln
Go to Top of Page

highlandviewpantry
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

WV
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2010 :  09:09:51 AM  Show Profile
I'm definitely going with what we love. My main challenge is finding products that aren't cookie cutter ideas. I bought a vintage Swiss chocolate poster on e-bay this week that I am going to frame for the kitchen. It has a pretty dairy cow as the focal point. What I really need are ideas for sources. E-bay is fun but time consuming.

www.thehighlandviewpantry.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

child in harmony
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Marcia
Middleboro MA
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2010 :  2:05:19 PM  Show Profile
We live in a log home and I decorate with what I love. . bold colors, old furniture that's been *revitalized*, and anything that "speaks" to me...quilts, plants, nature, artwork.

Just go with what you LOVE... We need to make our house *beautiful* for ourselves first :)

~marcia

www.harmonywoodsfarm.com
www.childinharmony.com

"Enriching,nurturing and inspiring Life with nature,animals
and the arts .. for the child and the child within"
Go to Top of Page

Ann2144
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

USA
106 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2010 :  12:31:03 PM  Show Profile
Hi! and congratulations on your own FARMHOUSE! try www.shopgoodwill.com....lots of vintage stuff, cheap, and most likely in your city too!

Love Each Other
Go to Top of Page

mgary
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Mary
Marion IN
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2010 :  09:38:54 AM  Show Profile
I used old aprons that I found in thrift stores and antique stores as curtains in my kitchen. I use a common color but the patterns do not have to match. I also use old house windows as picture frames. They will fit 8X10 pictures nicely and you can use laminating sheets to secure the pictures. I then add eyelets and wire to the back to secure it to the wall. Happy decorating!
Go to Top of Page

debtea2
True Blue Farmgirl

1853 Posts

deborah
nutley nj
USA
1853 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2010 :  4:25:48 PM  Show Profile
congrats and good luck
sounds wonderful.
as for decorating go with what you love
i added shutters and window boxes
it really makes my home look finished

http://jerseyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
inch by inch we find our way
jersey farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

DyaLynn53
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Dianne
Roseburg Oregon
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2010 :  12:29:25 PM  Show Profile
Isn't it just too much FUN? We have just moved in the new house we built and I'm going for the grand-lodge/cabin style myself. It's really just a big rectangle all one story because we're in our 50's and don't want to deal with stairs as we age; the most is 5 steps up from the ground level. We drew the floor plans ourselves and have done most of the work. The living dining kitchen areas are all open with a vaulted ceiling, big windows on the south side for solar gain. I'm going for the grand lodge/cabin style myself. I even have a couple of big peeled tree trunks just inside my entry. Check out decorating books from your local library and magazines like Country Home, Country Living, Cottage Style and American Bungalow. I've done that for years; still am really, you can find it all at the library.

Farmgirl Sister #682

"Life is a great big canvas and you should throw all the paint on it you can." Danny Kaye
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Farmhouse Decorating Ideas Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page