True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2010 :  6:34:54 PM  Show Profile
Hello Sisters,
My dad is 62 years old and lives in a very rural town in eastern Georgia. A couple of months ago he had a mental snap and we lost touch with him. His exwife called me to say my dad was in a really bad shape..he has a bad heart condition.. and has lost 20 pounds..he stopped eating.
My aunts rushed there to find my dad worse than what we were told. To make a long story short they had him forcefully committed. The state held him for seven days then let him go. I was told by someone at the mental hospital that my dad was psychotic but they couldn't keep him.
My husband and I went there with very little money and begged my dad to come back to Arkansas with us. He refused. I have kids so we had to come back home..we left him with all the money we had and made sure he had food. While we were there he acted insane but wasn't hurting himself or anyone.
Anytime I talked to him he would just scream at me over the phone. I broke down and sent him $100 (by the way never trust Western Union online) and two boxes of food.
Now he has lost his electricity for lack of payment and has no way to communicate with anyone.. cannot drive.. has no job.
We have called GA mental help line and adult services but they say they cannot help us. The Sheriff of the county agrees my dad needs to be put in a hospital but until my dad breaks the law they can't help us. Last week we called the police and asked them to do a welfare check on him. They said he was fine and very friendly.

We don't have the money for a lawyer or to even travel back there but we will be willing to sell something of ours to go and get him if he would let us. Our family has spent hours on the phone trying to find help. I miss my dad and want him back.

Any suggestions... any ideas of what we can do?

Thank you for reading..and any suggestions!!

Cynthia
Arkansas

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2010 :  7:36:46 PM  Show Profile
... all I know to do... is to pray for your Dad, your family and you.
...praying

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2010 :  7:38:42 PM  Show Profile
Texas has Adult Protective Services. They will sometime help out in those situations especially if it is in a rural area. Is there any chance he is a veteran. If he is, you can get help from the VA. They are very helpful her in Texas. My Dad had West Nile and is not himself anymore. The VA is very on top of everything he needs. I wish you luck with finding help. Or you might try getting him declared disabled. That might give him some income.
That is all I can think of. It would be great if he is a Vet they are really helpful.

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2010 :  7:53:05 PM  Show Profile
Prayers sent your way that things work themselves out and that you can have peace of mind and heart for your dad. I am not sure what the laws are in GA. Perhaps you can get help if you advise the local law enforcement that he is now living with no electricity and has a very bad heart condition? I dont know, I am just grasping at straws for you.
thinking of you..
Hugs.
Laurie
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2010 :  2:02:02 PM  Show Profile
I am so sad for you and your dad. It is really hard to be so far away. I will pray for you and your father.
Delicia
Go to Top of Page

medievalcat
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2010 :  5:49:18 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all for your suggestions! The police checked on him today..they report he said he's doing fine. I have to say the police in the town my dad lives are great. I called them and explained to one of the secretaries what was going on and she suggested I talk to 911. I told her I hated to take their time up with it because it's not life or death someone's trying to kill me sort of thing. She reassured me that yes in fact this is one of the reasons they are there..to check on the welfare of their citizens. Ever have someone be nice to you when you don't expect it..and it makes you cry?? Well there I was in tears talking to 911 saying "sorry.. really I'm ok.."

The box of food and drinks arrived today via UPS and next week we are hoping to buy him a go phone.. as soon as we can afford to.. come on payday!
My aunt found a nice man at a local church that is going to check on him tomorrow. I'm holding my breath until I hear from her.

My dad had polio as a child so he never was able to be in the service..and he's way back on his taxes so I don't know if he can file for disability. And can you file it for someone if you don't have power of attorney? To obtain power of attorney in GA you have to prove that person is beyond reason and it's really expensive.
Thank you for all the prayers!
Cynthia
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2010 :  6:09:17 PM  Show Profile
If you can have "him" sign to give you the Power of Attorney you don't need anyone legal except a notary public. I have one for my Dad and one for my Husband.

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2010 :  6:57:59 PM  Show Profile
Cynthia, I live in North East GA. What town does your Dad live in? Maybe I could offer some help if he lived somewhat close.

Blessings,
Tina Hale Farmgirl #455
Go to Top of Page

medievalcat
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2010 :  5:17:49 PM  Show Profile
He's at exit 58 north of Florida.. Thank you so much for the offer but it's a long distant drive from North East GA.

No word today so far.. sent my aunt via Facebook (odd it's how we talk now).
Go to Top of Page

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2010 :  06:32:11 AM  Show Profile
No problem~ I will pray for you and your Father.

Blessings,
Tina Hale Farmgirl #455
Go to Top of Page

medievalcat
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2010 :  11:16:15 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Tina for your prayers. I spoke to my aunt and she hasn't heard from anyone yet about my dad. I will call the police again for a welfare check on Wednesday if she hasn't heard from the person she found to check on him.

Cynthia
Go to Top of Page

medievalcat
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2010 :  4:39:43 PM  Show Profile
Hey everybody.. my dad called me late last night!! He said he's ok but it's been one crazy ride. He sounded really great and he said he has a cell phone, power, and food. I don't know what sort of blessing happened and I hope he's not lying to me..but he didn't ask for money. He just sounded a little tired. I thanked him so much for calling me and he thanked me for all the help and love we sent his way. I got off the phone and just held it to my chest and cried. It was tears of joy and relief. Today it's felt like a huge weight has been taken off my shoulders.
I want to say THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR THE LOVE, PRAYERS, AND SUPPORT! Thanks to all you I got through this tough time.
If ever I can be of assistance to any of you please do not hesitate to contact me.

hugs,
Cynthia
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2010 :  6:19:37 PM  Show Profile
Cynthia - hope all continues to look up!!!!!! :)

“Life is full of beauty. Notice it. Notice the bumble bee, the small child, and the smiling faces. Smell the rain, and feel the wind. Live your life to the fullest potential, and fight for your dreams.”
Ashley Smith

Check out my blog!! http://thehappycalamity.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2010 :  09:29:18 AM  Show Profile
Cynthia, rules and such are different in every state. Is he on medicare yet? Often times, depending on the doc and a diagnosis, he may qualify for home health/hospice care. Hospice sometimes does a 'degenerative' Dx for the seniors and they qualify for some assistance of home care under that. Try calling the closest home health and/or hospice group for info. Hope you can get him some help!! Praying for you and your family!! Check out the 'caregivers chat' post here under the Health forum. Lots of help and support there too!! Blessings, Linda

http://www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Country at Heart

Edited by - prayin granny on Nov 12 2010 09:30:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

medievalcat
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2010 :  4:45:36 PM  Show Profile
Hello All,
Sorry I didn't have the internet for the longest time so glad i have it now.. Update on my dad:
He called me a few weeks ago saying he was getting his life back in order. I cried on the phone that I missed him so much but so glad he has ajob and car again. I returned his dog to him last week..we met in Florida..he looked so much older than I remembered and has lost more weight but he was so happy to see his little four-legged friend and his friend was so happy to see his dad! My dad has called me a couple of times to say he loves & misses me..and thanked me for all the help. He did say he's trying to move closer to me but that will take a little time.
I want to thank all of you for giving such great advice and support. I don't think I could have done it on my own.
With love & gratitude,
Cynthia
Go to Top of Page

Simply Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

163 Posts

WI
USA
163 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2010 :  06:53:06 AM  Show Profile
Cynthia, I will pary that things continue to get better for your Dad and your family. It is heart breaking to see someone you love loose touch with life and self and there is little you can do but gather the strength to get through it.

There is no set path, follow your heart stay the course.
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2010 :  12:26:51 PM  Show Profile
..will continue with prayers!

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

dixiecuz
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

patricia
cleveland ga
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  6:30:43 PM  Show Profile
in georgia there is programs to help him pay the electric and heat its called ninth district in the north georgia area, not sure what it is called in the south part , there are food banks also meals on wheels , the problem with this is you have to get disability , but the irs and bill collectors can't get a persons disibility checks or back time they are owed found this out when my uncle was in the hospital. my prayers are with you and your family also many senior centers will pick up them have diffrent activities and even carry them to the dr's appt , bank , drug store , grocery shopping , and when he get disibility or even food stamps he can get a phone throught safelink it provides a phone and minutes a month i hope some or all of this helps you .
Go to Top of Page

medievalcat
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2011 :  11:19:46 AM  Show Profile
Hello and thank you for the prayers and information! Good news my dad called me yesterday to say hi and to let me know he was thinking of me. He's back working and has a car to drive..he said the power is on AND he has food. I'll keep sending him food for awhile just to be sure he does have food.
Now I'm getting ready for my mom to move to Arkansas from California and trying to find her a house that she can afford. My dad said he might be able to come for a visit but I'm not sure if Arkansas can handle both my mom and my dad being in the same state!
Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic Need Help for Dad in GA Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page