Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 What to do about colic?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic What to do about colic? Next Topic  

jujubee
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Julia
Florida
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2006 :  12:27:00 PM  Show Profile
Hello experienced moms!

I just had my second daughter a couple of months ago and she is having some trouble with colic. I am breastfeeding her and trying to experiment with some natural colic treatments. Does anyone have any suggestions or solutions that worked for them?

I hate to see her in pain! Help!

Thank you!
Julia

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths." Proverbs 3:5-6

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2006 :  1:42:15 PM  Show Profile
Sometimes the warmth of a hot water bottle wrapped in a soft blanket can help, lay her on her side so she kind of leans on it,or when holding her , put it between you and her. see then you will be warm too. I say hot water bottle, but anything warm, they have so many new products these days, just be careful that whatever it is, isn't to hot.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2006 :  6:09:01 PM  Show Profile
Julia, I found that the best cure was prevention and tried paying attention to things I ate corresponding to the bouts of colic my daughter had. I couldn't eat chocolate or drink milk.

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." -E. B. White

http://www.betweenthecities.com/blog/ljr/

Edited by - LJRphoto on Jun 03 2006 6:09:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2006 :  6:52:27 PM  Show Profile
Here's one I wish I'd heard of when my kids were little. Have the baby adjusted by someone who is a chiropractor certified for pediatrics.

Through winter boarding my horse, I met someone who is licensed for chiropractic in people and in animals. I'd had my horses worked on before, and I got to know here that way. Over time, I became her patient, and she became my client. One thing she made me understand over time is that the digestive tract is served by many, many nerves. These nerves go through the spine. If one of the vertebrae is subluxated, then the signal traveling to the brain is altered. What could possibly be harder on the human body than to be cramped in a uterus and then extruded with such force at the end of gestation???

I had both of my grandsons adjusted. The oldest got his first adjustment within hours of birth. The younger was a day or two old. Neither ever had any colic episodes, prolonged crying episodes, or illnesses. I wish so much I'd thought of it when my kids were little, because my older daughter screamed until she was four months old.

You will find a great deal of support for organic living and natural treatments in a chiropractor's office. Mine also uses herbs and homeopathy as well as cold laser, percussors, etc. She has quite a few patients who make a trip through her office before taking the new baby home. Both moms and newborns are adjusted, and both get to start those first months more comfortably.

I hope this helps!
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2006 :  8:52:05 PM  Show Profile
Julia, I don't know if this is ok for everyone, but my daughter was so bad w/ colic and I was at my wits end. Someone told me to make a weak fennel seed tea FOR HER to drink once or twice a day. I didnt do it at first but one night it was so bad I made it & gave it to her. I used it all the time after that. For her it worked. I never made it very strong but it was just enough. The Dr. said it was nonesense but NOTHING he gave her or me ever worked. He also said it wasn't going to hurt her, so I felt better. it was an older woman who told me, she used it and her mom & grandmother used it. Dont do ANYTHING w/out checking w/ your Dr. first of course.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

jujubee
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Julia
Florida
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2006 :  12:24:07 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, everyone, for your helpful suggestions! I will try them!

I sure hope I don't have to give up milk and chocolate (my two favorite foods!) heehee :)

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths." Proverbs 3:5-6
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2006 :  07:09:37 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Julia

Here is one more suggestion. It is along the same lines as Michele's except I used to make a weak mint tea. If you have spearmint growing or know someone who does, dry a few leaves in the oven and then steep them in hot water. Make a bottle with it and just a touch of something to sweeten it, a little sugar or honey dissolved in the tea while it is steeping. This seemed to work quite well for her, mint will help settle the stomach. Even now if I'm feeling queasy in the stomach I will drink some mint tea, it really does help.

The other thing we would do for out daughter is to wrap her up nice and tight in her blanket, like a cacoon and then hold her close. We spent quite a few hours walking and holding her to get her through the worst of it. And it usually hit about the same time each day - supper and bed time. It only lasted a couple months, which we were fortunate, because I know for some it can be much worse, but maybe it was that way for those who relied only on medication and just couldn't get any relief from it, not realizing there are other alternatives.

My grandmother also told me that babies have a preference as to wheter or not they like to be rocked either on their backs or draped over your arm (lenghtwise) on their stomach. I never knew this, but it sure made a difference when we figured that out with each of our kids. Not just for colic, but just for comfort.

Our daughter was the only one that was colicky. Unfortunately, she got very used to the bottle and then didn't want to nurse any longer, so I was only able to nurse her for 3 months. But I know they make alot of different bottle nipples to choose from these days that are much closer to actually nursing so it might not be too much of a switch and not a problem. For me that was 25 years ago - alot has changed in the baby world since then.

I hope you find a source of relief for your little one and yourself. It may be one or a combination of a couple, but hopefully it will not take too long for something to work a miracle for you both. I remember just how challenging it can be, so my prayers will be with you for peace, patience and strength to get through this temporary condition. This too shall pass. Hang in there, and rest assured it will be okay.

In His hands,
Lynda L.

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
www.pamperedchef.biz/lorenzfamilycooks
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2006 :  09:14:51 AM  Show Profile
Julia -- I can certainly feel for you. My last one was colicky. We tried everything! The doctor finally had to put her on a very special and expensive forumla. Within 24 hours she was like a new child.

I would highly recommend that you stop any cow's milk products if you are breastfeeding and see if that helps.

Visit my blog at http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2006 :  11:17:37 AM  Show Profile
Just one thought - please - no honey for a baby under 1 year of age.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2006 :  12:06:41 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by blueroses

Just one thought - please - no honey for a baby under 1 year of age.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe

I was desperately trying to read to the end of this thread so I could say this as well. Botulism is a scarey thing. Here is a link: http://www.drgreene.com/21_825.html

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." -E. B. White

http://www.betweenthecities.com/blog/ljr/
Go to Top of Page

jujubee
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Julia
Florida
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2006 :  12:38:15 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all for the honey warnings! I did know not to give honey to babies, but I was glad to read the article on it. I had no idea how bad it could really be! So, no worries, I will not be giving Hannah any honey!

She is doing a little better I think. She has a tough time during the day, and will sometimes cry through a feeding, which I don't understand. I am trying to avoid milk products, which is difficult to totally eliminate! hope this helps some. I am also giving her some natural, organic gripe water. This seems to help some. When she gets going on her crying fits, though, not much will calm her down!

I am going to check with our family chiropractor to see if he does baby adjustments. He has adjusted my older daughter before, though when she was 2 years and only on her neck. Maybe that will help her.

Thank you, everyone!

Go to Top of Page

Zahara
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Buffalo New York
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2006 :  2:03:41 PM  Show Profile
Julia,
I am not a mom - but I make connections - I posted quite a long one under Fibromyalgia. I wish to add to the above other suggestions.

Your favorite foods are dairy and chocolate. And you live in Florida - I understand it is kind of damp down there. Your baby sometimes cries through a feeding - that is strange - like she is getting something that she does not like. Also was there any antibiotic treatments lately, for you or her?
You do need to stop the dairy, except for plain unsweetened yogurt. In fact have lots of yogurt - perferably made from organic milk. And a probiotic - goods ones are always refrigerated - versus just sitting on the shelf
In order for anyone to digest foods the enzymes have to be there. Pasturized milk is just plain glob. Whereas yogurt is alive again (and digested by those yogurt cultures). Or cultured buttermilk. If possible (it is not where I live) get some raw milk - you drink it.

And if you got to just have chocolate (it IS a very complicated chemical and does soothe the soul) then buy organic chocolate only.

And of course as you already know - lots of love - yiha :-) from all of us

Edited by - Zahara on Jun 07 2006 2:13:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

jamsnbread
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Is
Worth IL
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2006 :  10:47:20 AM  Show Profile  Send jamsnbread an AOL message  Click to see jamsnbread's MSN Messenger address  Send jamsnbread a Yahoo! Message
Gripe water helped my sons tremendously. You can find it at most health food stores and online. It takes horrible like licorice but it works wonders.

Hope that helps!

Is.

Jams -N- Bread
www.jams-n-bread.com
info@jams-n-bread.com

C & A Computer Services
www.cacrs.com
info@cacrs.com
Go to Top of Page

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2006 :  12:56:30 PM  Show Profile
Ah, the many flavors of advice. There is no set rule of things you must avoid eating to avoid colic. Be aware of what you are eating (you might try a food journal), so you can notice any changes in your daughter's behavior. For example, I learned very early that I could not drink any alchohol while nursing my daughter, until she was about 5 months old. With my son, it doesn't bother him, but it took me a while to figure out he doesn't like it when I eat pickles. Some people say what gives YOU gas will go thru your breastmilk to give your baby gas. Don't know if that's true, but its something else to think about.

Here are the things that helped us:
Make sure baby isn't hot: In our home at this time of year that means baby is in a diaper only.
Swaddle baby: It took me a while to figure this one out with my daughter. My kids both liked it best when she was swaddled tightly with her hands out.
Try a different nursing position: When baby really gets going, I stand up and put baby in an upright position position to nurse, then walk and bounce around the house. It is rather akward at first, but usually the change is enough to get baby latched on and soothed, then I can sit back down after a few minutes.
Tummy time: Sometimes putting baby down and patting her back will help get that enormous, elusive burp.
The great outdoors: even when its hot, miserable, windy, muggy, etc., a change of scenery and breath of fresh air can do wonders.

Best of luck, Julia. Remember, this too shall pass.

Bramblestitches Store: www.bramblestitches.etsy.com
NEW blog: http://bramblestitches.typepad.com/
Go to Top of Page

jujubee
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Julia
Florida
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2006 :  12:13:28 PM  Show Profile
Well, gals, little Hannah is 3 months old now. I think she is starting to turn the corner with her tummy aches. I have stopped milk products and chocolate (oh, the things we do for our kids!) and I do believe that has helped. I am also eating yogurt (thank you, Zahara! I had been on antibiotics recently for mastitis, so your advice was a great help). She doesn't seem to be hurting anymore, which is good.

I think I have figured out that when she cries during a feeding it is because she is full. She is simply not hungry anymore and she is trying to tell me (in a very dramatic way!). Once I quit trying to "make" her eat, she coos and smiles at me as if nothing was wrong. If she does this, I usually end up pumping my milk and storing it. She seems quite happy with this outcome and proceeds to happily coo and smile and then sleep a full nap. I guess this is okay, since she is still gaining weight. I will talk to my pediatrician about it at her 4mos. check-up.

I tell you! Kids are all different aren't they? My first daughter ate like a champ and still does. They are different in just about every way!

Thank you, everyone for your wonderful advice and help. It has sure meant a lot to me, and has helped me get through some tough days!!

Julia

Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2006 :  2:07:23 PM  Show Profile
Wow, this has all been very interesting. I am getting ready to have my 4th, so I'm reading up on dealing with fussy babies.

My first child had terrible terrible gas. He would scream and cry. Our doctor then, who is (THANK GOD) no longer our doctor told us that babies do not cry about gas. I being the young, naive and ignorant mother at the time rode it out. Years later, my son still has issues with gas and constipation. He is now on Glycolax everyday. That helps him to be regular. If any of you know of herbal remedies that work like Glycolax or Miralax, I'd be interested in knowing. Just because it would be nice to wean him off the stuff. If only I had known then that he really had issues and the doctor was stupid, it would have made such a huge difference in his early years. It's really kind of sad.

With my 3rd child, she would get very upset in the evenings and wouldn't settle down very well. I started to follow a very strict routine with her and nursed her and woke her at the same times each day and that seemed to help. I don't remember how long she was fussy that way in the evenings.

Getting ready to go through it all over again! GULP! Every child is so different. Just like people.

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Wife of Jonathan, Mother of Joel, Caitlyn, Elia
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic What to do about colic? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page