Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Butter need help Next Topic  

SusieK
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Texas
167 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2010 :  05:24:54 AM  Show Profile
I have read it is ok to leave butter out after you make it.I make my butter from my cow cream. Just leave it on the counter until used up. It stays good. Can someone please tell me if this is true????????? Please anyone

Be Safe & Be Blessed

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2010 :  06:13:43 AM  Show Profile
I think it depends on your area. I bought a butter container for mom. There is water in the bottom and the butter goes in the lid upside down. You change the water daily. I've always left butter out when it isn't scorching heat. FDA approved, probably not, but that doesn't mean it isn't safe as they approve pesticides. Hopefully someone will have a more scientific answer for you.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

mtngirljon
True Blue Farmgirl

539 Posts

Jonnie
Webster Texas
USA
539 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2010 :  06:34:02 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Susie. Laurie's container is probably a french butter safe. They are usually two-piece stoneware containers. You put the butter in the top section and salty water in the bottom section. The water seals the butter and helps it to stay fresh. I have had no issue leaving butter out as long as it's not scorching heat. You can usually find the butter safes at places like the Renaissance Festival, places where you would find quality stoneware and online. Good luck!

Jonnie
Farmgirl #648

"Turn your face to the sun, and the shadows will fall behind you" - Maori Proverb

Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2010 :  06:48:03 AM  Show Profile
I have been thinking about buying my self a jersey cow. So i could make homemade butter like my Granny use to.
I will probably have some of you girls refresh my memory if I get the cow. The cow is on my Xmas list. Ha! Ha!.

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2010 :  12:59:03 PM  Show Profile
howdy farmgirls, thought i would add a thought. i find i have a hard time getting all they whey out of the butter. i use cold water and ice. i think fresh raw butter does not last as long as store. its more fresh unprocessed and fragile. so i keep a week in fridge and make it each week. you could make extra and freeze. not sure how long it lasts in freezer. i like fresh for us. just a thought happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2010 :  5:45:52 PM  Show Profile
I leave store bought butter out all the time. Except when it's really hot. I have a ceramic dish with a cover. It doesn't use the water method, but I've never had a problem with it. I usually use it all up before it has a chance to go rancid anyway.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

rosarita78
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Reina
Drought ridden High Plains New Mexico
USA
206 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2010 :  1:14:07 PM  Show Profile
I make my own butter sometimes from store bought cream and I buy from the store. I keep my regular glass butter dish out on the counter and put what I'm not using at that moment in the fridge. My Aunt has always done this and I've done this for about 10 years now. It doesn't seem to affect it. Even in the summer it's just fine. And I've had butter out for 2 months is the longest I've gone and it was just fine. If I feel I'm not going to be using the whole stick I'll cut it in half and then pull the rest out when it get to running low. My whole family does this now. Nice to have soft butter to butter my toast on!!!!!

Reina

http://reinascountrykitchen.blogspot.com
http://icookinnewmexico.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Butter need help Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page