traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2010 :  1:21:05 PM  Show Profile
Last night my husband's friend came over and they got out all the stuff they want me to pack in for their elk hunt next week. Hoo-wee, do those boys want to take a lot of stuff! What a difference between when I pack in with my girlfriends. Bigger tent; wood stove; 5-lb propane bottle; cook stove; more food. Granted, it's later in the year and much colder at night. It will be interesting to see how it all loads up. I've not packed this kind of stuff. Fortunately, I don't have to take any horse stuff as I am drop-camping them. Hopefully it will all fit on two packhorses, but I have three, just in case.

I'm taking the stuff in on Tuesday. Opening day is Saturday. I'm hoping to get a call Saturday afternoon that they got one. Then I'll take the ponies back up and go pack it out for them.

Should be fun.

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2010 :  2:11:33 PM  Show Profile
My husband has been to Colorado Elk hunting several times. I love the meat he brings back. The last time he got to go was about 6 or 7 years ago. He wants to go again but money is a little tight right now. I told him maybe next year. We just bought out another business. So all our money went into that.

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2010 :  09:46:32 AM  Show Profile
Well, I got all the stuff loaded on just two packhorses and Mike and I took it in. I have hard panniers that have legs that screw in to make a table and I forgot the lids! So, no table. Oops. Mike is in there for a few days before the season starts so I guess he'll figure something out.

Everything went swell until I heard, "oh ****", and looked back and Mike was on his back beside the horse with the saddle half off and his foot still in the stirrup. Thankfully, Shorty (the horse) just stood there while Mike squirmed around like a turtle (he was in camo with an army green backpack on. Very turtle-ish) trying to get his foot out. Thank you, Lord. So we regrouped and resaddled and had no more incidents.

It was a little tricky on the way out as I had a three-horse string and I've only ever had two. But we made it back to the trailer just at dark. I surely do appreciate a good trail horse. It's amazing how well they see in the dark. I could barely distinguish the dogs out ahead and Sailor never even slowed down.

Hopefully, one or both of the guys will get an elk this weekenad and I'll go back up to bring it out.

Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2010 :  09:50:41 AM  Show Profile
Okay, we're all back home safe and sound but no elk. The weather was beautiful and that was part of the problem. The forest was crunchy and the elk could hear you a mile away.

Fortunately we have plenty of venison in our freezer so getting an elk wasn't entirely necessary. We'll be fine this winter and try again next year.

Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2010 :  07:26:21 AM  Show Profile
oh loyce sounds like so very much fun. reminded me of when my dad and i would go hunting. wish you had gotten some elk. we used to get 4 elk a year. i have pics that are amazing of him and his buddies up hunting. they used the hand cars on the railroad tracks to pack up. where did they go in at? was it around glide.? i am still using my tablet and positive sayings book from you. love it. have shared it with many gals. i always wanted to ride. my sister has a horse. egyptian arab. what a pet. i am now well enough to stay on him in a saddle. so i am going to try in spring. one more new adventure. i love it. to go down the trail in the dark with 3 horses behind wow good job farmgirl. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic Elk season in Oregon Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page