SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2008 :  6:05:31 PM  Show Profile
Any of you ever read her? I was re-organizing my bookcase and saw a few I have by her. . .thought those of you outpost-minded may be interested in her books. Look her up at your library if you never have! They're definitely interesting reading!

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2008 :  6:37:24 PM  Show Profile
Love her books - I've read three Woodswoman books, does she have more?

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2008 :  6:44:21 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
She has several more books..

"Anne LaBastille, author of Woodswoman, Beyond Black Bear Lake, Woodswoman III, Woodswoman IV, Assignment:Wildlife, and Women of the Wilderness..." and a few more....

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?ATH=Anne+Labastille

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90

Edited by - catscharm74 on Aug 29 2008 6:45:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2008 :  9:28:44 PM  Show Profile
I have read the first two Woodswoman books and just ordered III. I loved her books so far!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2008 :  10:19:29 AM  Show Profile
Mama Poc is a different style, not the woodswoman ones, but a great picture of extinction/environmental efforts
Go to Top of Page

sewbug
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

kim
Charlton ma
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2008 :  5:52:13 PM  Show Profile
Hi. I finished Woodswoman recently and currently have Women and the Wilderness checked out of the library. All of the women listed in that book are remarkable!! I am planning a winter hike in november in the mountains. It just gets you in the mood.!!!! Although I am nervous a bit because I will be the newbe ! Love Ann LaBastille, she is great! kim

farmgirl sister #105
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2008 :  6:11:57 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I lived for a short time in the area her Woodswoman books center on. I actually had my copies signed by her. She is TINY but strong and her dogs were so sweet. They came to all the signings. She is well into her 60's now and has dropped off some bit but probably having a lot of fun.

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2008 :  10:12:19 PM  Show Profile
Isn't it awesome to meet an author of books you love? I have had that experience and find it so fun.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

LindaEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

275 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
275 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2008 :  10:37:14 AM  Show Profile
Oh I gotta check out those books, ths SheilaC

Locust Trail Homestead
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/walkabout/
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2008 :  3:07:45 PM  Show Profile
I was just reading on an Adirondack forum that Anne LaBastille is now living in an Assisted Living facility - how sad with how much she loved her independence and her animals. I am hoping to find an address to be able to write to her. I am very moved by her writing.

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
Farmgirl Sister #59
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2008 :  3:18:34 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Are you serious??? Oh my gosh...what happened?? She was so healthy. I pray for her.

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2008 :  8:05:16 PM  Show Profile
Not sure, I popped her name in a google search and saw something come up about them looking for homes for her cats (think the post is a few years old) and I clicked on it and that is where I read she was living in an Assisted Living place. I sure hope nothing bad happened to her. I have the first Wilderness book and ordered the second one and I have to say, it is hard to put down, I am moved by her writing.
If you like her style of writing you might want to check out Richard Proenneke - One Man's Wilderness - there is a DVD called Alone in the Wilderness and I love that too - he lived for so many years in a cabin he built himself in Alaska - sadly he is gone now. Such a peaceful man - never married and enjoyed his solitude. I have More Readings From One Man's Wilderness: The Journals of Richard L. Proenneke 1974-1980. What a talented man.
Wouldn't it be wonderful to be that self sufficent? I think with times the way they are now, it will drive people back to simpler ways and that can be a positive thing. I think we rely too much on technology....lol, and here I am using one right now.

Farmgirl Sister #59
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2008 :  04:52:18 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I lived near Jay, NY, where she is now. I think she would be in her 70's now. Hmm..I hope everything works out ok.

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Thistle Cove Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

141 Posts

Sandra
Tazewell VA
USA
141 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2009 :  2:36:35 PM  Show Profile
No, never heard of her but will be looking for her books now...thanks!

Thistle Cove Farm ~ God's blessings on you, yours and the work of your hands & heart ~
www.thistlecovefarm.com
www.thistlecovefarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W
Farmgirl Legend/Chapter Guru

437 Posts

Saratoga Springs New York
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2009 :  4:30:20 PM  Show Profile
I have read the first two books and loved them both. I live just south of the Adk Mts and have hiked in them quite a bit. For anyone with a love of the mountains and a bit of wonderlust, these books are perfect!!!

carrie m

www.totallykadeshfarm.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2010 :  11:37:29 AM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
Apparently, she suspected the lake to have pollution.. and she had some tests ran. The lake ended up having strains of bacteria in it that are known to be Alzheimer's bacteria now. Sadly, she ended up with Alheimer's and now has to stay in an assisted living home. :(

~~~~
Proud Farmgirl #775

Go to Top of Page
  Outpost: Previous Topic Anne LaBastille Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page