Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  10:05:55 AM  Show Profile
Help - I need recipes for canning pears. I have already canned a bushel of pear halves and have 3 more bushels to do something with. I thought of pear butter, but you can only eat so much, especially when you already have peach butter, and apple butter. Does anyone have a favorite way to use pears?

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  10:16:11 AM  Show Profile
I can quite a few pears and do some regular halves, some diced, some sliced (just to use in salads and for my daycare kids) and even some halves with mint in the syrup I use to can them (usually light syrup but heavy in this case) and add a couple drops of green food color..very pretty on a leaf of lettuce for a cool treat in winter. I do some with cinnamon in them too. I also make pear sauce..like applesauce only with pears...different flavor..and like I said, I do daycare in my home so I use things like that alot. I have made pear butter as well, but like you said..when you have so many options you can't use as much. That is when I started making the pear sauce...yummy with a little cinnamon on it as a side dish with pork even. If you have a steam juicer (or other juicer)you can make juice to can up too. It has nice flavor and mixes well with other fruit to make a mixed fruit juice..my kids love it.
I just finished canning the last of my pears and am on to apples now...lots to do with apples! Have fun!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  10:19:19 AM  Show Profile
Jenny - thank you for the ideas. I especially like the pear sauce because we love applesause. I will definitely try that. And, adding mint or cinnamon for a change is also a great idea.
Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  11:11:20 AM  Show Profile
I just made pear sauce this morning and added cinnamon as well as ginger. It tasted great! Just pulled my jars out of the canner about a 1/2hr ago!

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  11:51:04 AM  Show Profile
I canned 12 quarts yesterday. I like spiced pears. I make a syrup with sugar or honey and water and add cinnamon, whole cloves and fresh grated nutmeg. They are so good. I have never tried pear butter. I love it. And pear preserves. If anyone has a good easy recipe, I'd like it.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  12:17:07 PM  Show Profile
We love pear sauce. I also have made apple-pearsauce and that will give you a whole new flavor too. As far as pear butter, it last a long time in those jars why not make a small batch it is really a nice treat.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning Pears Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page