Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  3:15:10 PM  Show Profile
Well we are going to try to do our bills without my husbands disability payments. He got them taken away because he tried to work. He was able to make $980 a month before taxes. Well last yr he made 300 to much in 1 month and now they are taking them away. He is able to reaply. But not until he recieves his last paperwork. So November is his last check. Now I am going to have to work 10 hrs a week more to make ends meet. I am so thankful I have a job and they are willing to work with me. My work said they would do this for 6 months. And then see where we are. So my husband cant work any more than he is now. We will make it...I have faith.
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1145 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1145 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2010 :  09:02:08 AM  Show Profile
Let's see...if we had no money...

The first thing is, I would have to figure out a way to generate enough income to keep my house. I mean, that's just number one. If I lost this place, I would lose my garden, my eggs and my chickens, and our workshop, which keeps us going. I would sell ANYTHING non-essential, and get rid of any non-essential bills. I would pick up scrap metal (we made 125 dollars yesterday by doing this...just old junk in the back of our property!), cans, whatever it took to keep this place. I mean, I'd do anything to stay here (with exception to illegal practices, lol!)

So then, beyond that, we always have eggs to eat and I have my garden. I wouldn't be too proud to go to the soup kitchen if I needed to. Of course, if you truly have no income, I suppose there is always government assistance. I do NOT have a problem using this assistance if you truly need it. I was on the WIC program when I had my oldest child. I mean, we were poor, and I needed that extra help. Anyway, that's a whole 'nother can o' worms to open, but that is what I would do if I really needed food. I don't have dairy animals so I don't have access to dairy product, unless I bartered for it.

And that's another thing to think about...what IS the dollar besides a form of bartering? We barter a lot around here, whether it's services for services or services for goods. I am extremely fortunate to have a DH who is just brilliant with repairs/construction/etc, so that often comes in handy!

That is what I would do if I were in that position.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic What "IF" you had NO $ ??? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page